Top Shelf Aquatics

Another Am I ready for a Max?

Clownshoes

Tank has been running since Jan of this year a 14g biocube. Since that time haven't lost a single coral and tank has been pretty stable. I recently added a 70w sunpod 14k a fuge to chamber 2. Flow is a max0jet 900 and stock pump in chamber 1. Water params.

SG: 1.024

Nitrate: undetectable

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

PH: 8.3-4 at end of the day

Alk: 9

Calc: 480

Should I get a maxima? Just want to get some opinions before i shell out 100 bucks total for a nice maxi to my door. Or to be patient?

Tank has been running since Jan of this year a 14g biocube. Since that time haven't lost a single coral and tank has been pretty stable. I recently added a 70w sunpod 14k a fuge to chamber 2. Flow is a max0jet 900 and stock pump in chamber 1. Water params.

SG: 1.024

Nitrate: undetectable

Nitrite: 0

Ammonia: 0

PH: 8.3-4 at end of the day

Alk: 9

Calc: 480

Should I get a maxima? Just want to get some opinions before i shell out 100 bucks total for a nice maxi to my door. Or to be patient?

I've been lurking about clams for a few months now, and everyone I see says wait a year. There is still some funky stuff that is going to happen in your tank.

My BC14 is approaching 9 months and I'm still battling little cyan blooms, CUC die offs with perfect params and no bad habits.

I think there is a natural balance that has to be obtained at some point and 6 months isn't it. JMHO.

i think the time period is really determined by how stable your tank is......my tanks parameters haven't changed since it got done cycling......a little problem with GHA but that's been dealt with. I now have 2 Maximas and a Derasa which are doing very well......now that's not to say that the larger maxima came to me with a pretty minor case of pinched mantle disease.......but a nice freshwater dip and everything's back to normal........just my .02

Gotta agree. Your tank is stable when it is stable. There is no magic timeline for when you can say, " ok, it is now safe." It sounds like you carefully monitor the tank parameters and take action accordingly. IF there are concerns, consider starting with a heartier derasa. They are a bit more tolerant of fluctuations in the parameters.

Gotta agree. Your tank is stable when it is stable. There is no magic timeline for when you can say, " ok, it is now safe." It sounds like you carefully monitor the tank parameters and take action accordingly. IF there are concerns, consider starting with a heartier derasa. They are a bit more tolerant of fluctuations in the parameters.

yea but just remember derasa clams can get to be about 16 inches!!! mine's grown almost a full inch in about 5 months

Well after mulling it over for a few weeks now I think I am ready for the next step. Thanks for your opinions and last night I fell in love with a black and blue maxima on liveaquaria. Ive been looking all over for the "right" one and I immediately loved the color contrast on this one. Nice ultra maximas are really hard to come by in my area for some reason. So it gets here Tuesday, I will post pics when its in my tank.

newmaximaclam.jpg

Archived