Coral Vue Hydros

Clam doctor

poidog

ok, what is up with my clam. Had it for about 1-1/2 weeks. The first couple of days it was fully extended, no it won't open up any more than in the pic. parameters are in check except nitrates have been hovering around 5-10ppm lately (nitrates were present when clam was introduced as well).

post-41150-1246320822_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer...... I'm not a doctor, but a few days ago a fellow N-R member, skh, posted a link to a great article about mysterious clam deaths. I know yours isn't dead, but maybe by reading this article, you can get some ideas as to what may be wrong with yours.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/aafeature1

By your pic, it looks like your clam is placed about mid-way on the rocks in your tank? If so, did you acclimate it to the lights? Most suggest putting it on the bottom for a few days and then slowly move it up. Also, do you have anything that could be picking at it, especially after the lights go off? You can confirm this by taking an empty soft drink bottle and cut several holes in it for circulation. Cut off the bottom of it and place the bottle over the clam, see if it extands its' mantle like it should.

Also, make sure you stay on top of the Calcium, they do suck it up like a vacuum!

BTW, is this the one you just got from LA? It's a real beauty!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Yep, this is the one that I got from liveaquaria. I had it in the sand for a about 5/6 days when it was fully open (2 of those 5 days). It dropped the rubble that it was clinging to when it was shipped, and started to grab the rock rubble i left on the sand, but after a day after that it let go and started falling down and not opening, so I figured it wasn't happy and moved it up the rockwork (yep, it's about 1/2 way up directly under the bulb). Now, it's no longer falling down, but don't extending all the way.

I have clowns and a blenny, so I would think the blenny would be the only one that would pick at it, but I haven't seen him do it during the day, and he is asleep in his rock at night.

With all the moving around of the clam, I did notice 1 very small (like a grain of sand - it may have been) white pointy snail on the underside of the clam and I brushed it off. it wasn't on it's gland, just hanging towards the bottom - not sure if by it's own or by mucus/whatnot.

With all the moving around of the clam, I did notice 1 very small (like a grain of sand - it may have been) white pointy snail on the underside of the clam and I brushed it off. it wasn't on it's gland, just hanging towards the bottom - not sure if by it's own or by mucus/whatnot.

That white pointy snail aint good poidog. Sounds like a pyramid snail, get rid of it. Here is a link with pics and advise on how to remove them:

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/my-clam-h...i-do-t2760.html This is now the clamsdirect forum, btw.

Be sure to thoroughly check it for more, pay close attention to the bottom.

That's what I was afraid of. :(

I did pluck it out when I saw it. Would it had always been in my tank or do they only come in on a clam? I did an inspection of the clam and didn't find anything on it when i was acclimating. Plus, (I know it's not a guarantee or excuse) but I figured live aquaria has impeccable quarantine and be pest free.

I'll take a look at it again tonight, before it attaches to the rock. I have been keeping an eye on it at night too, and i don't see anything going after the mantel which I read those snails would do to cause the clam to recede in...?

after a quick photo compare, I believe the lone ranger was a rissoid that got stuck to it while in the sand. fingerscrossed

As I have seen similar crawling on my glass.

I'll keep checking it cause i assume pyrams will find the clam.

checked last night and this morning and no more little snails.... it still hasn't attached to the rock yet.

Could it maybe due to not enough flow? My flow has been low since installing my chiller, and I've been waiting for my MP10 to show up.

Archived