ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana (R.I.P. 01/07/2010)

MedRed

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2lniyaq.jpg

I love that coral! Also, what is that orange thing on the left? Your tank looks great! :D

Thanks riz!!

The orange coral is a Dendrophyllia. Both it and the red gorgonian are non photosynthetic.

hey med, did you custom made your dry box for the vortech MP? im thinking should i move my mp20 to the backwall? i am still not to sure about it and worry it might flood my mp20

hey med, did you custom made your dry box for the vortech MP? im thinking should i move my mp20 to the backwall? i am still not to sure about it and worry it might flood my mp20

my LFS made me a custom dry dock... it uses a lip so it sits slightly higher than the top of the tank. The tank would flood onto the carpet instead of filling the drydock

my LFS made me a custom dry dock... it uses a lip so it sits slightly higher than the top of the tank. The tank would flood onto the carpet instead of filling the drydock

hey bro! any way you can get your LFS to make a custom dry dock again with the lip. i am willing to pay for it since i dont have the right tools to be able to make one. please? LMK.

i want to copy you because you are my new role model. :) lol

hey bro! any way you can get your LFS to make a custom dry dock again with the lip. i am willing to pay for it since i dont have the right tools to be able to make one. please? LMK.

i want to copy you because you are my new role model. :) lol

lol... i'll ask them. I'm wanting them to make me a slightly slimmer one... so i'll ask for the both of us. How can I be you're role model when you're my role model? Maybe David can be both of our role models.

lol... i'll ask them. I'm wanting them to make me a slightly slimmer one... so i'll ask for the both of us. How can I be you're role model when you're my role model? Maybe David can be both of our role models.

I hope you're not talkin' 'bout me David, 'Cause the two of you blow my tank right outta the water!!! :mellow:

hey dave, you're the main reason why i wanted to start a solana. then med is a cool guy that is always on around 12am til 6 in the morning. but both of you guys is rocking this solana out far from mine. i wish someday i have the courage to add acans to my tank. im still skeptic about adding one since i had an bad experience with it. ;( but anyways this for showing your support and advices!

You too are crazy. I was drawn to both of your tanks before I set up my solana. Don't be afraid of acans! I just added added 2 more with 1 more on the way. That's a total of 6. One more rainbow acan will round it out. I need to do an update. Made some major changes that look kind of minor.

• 2 weeks later...

been really busy... but It seems like all the bad luck i was going to have with this tank pooled up and hit at one point.

A). What were you thinking?

I recently tried to kill my remaining 4 patches of bryopsis with Flourish Excel. I'm an experimenter... more of that side will come out later. I used a large pipette and administered 4 doses over the 4 areas (sidenote... only one of the patches is endemic to the tank... the other three only grow on the 2 zoa frags and one ricordea frag i'd received from others).

The reaction was almost like in the movies when everything goes quiet in a jungle scene signifying something is wrong. I just happened to notice while administering the last dose that every single coral had closed up tight as a drum. I'd never seen that before, not even at night. I realized at that moment I'd added about 4x what I would have added to an entire FW tank as I was using a gigantic pipette. I know Excel can kill simple algae... so now i was worried for the safety of the tank.

I performed a 15 gallon water change... made up more SW and did another 15 gallons. My ponape birdsnest is dying back, my favia isn't looking too hot, the 2 treated zoas haven't opened up fully again, most of the sps browned out, and the ric i directly treated let go and has ended up somewhere in the tank. All in all... a crisis has been averted, but I'm not doing that again. On another note... it did kill the bryopsis. I may try excel dosing on a small scale and not repeat my episode in stupidity.

B). The Series of Unfortunate Events.

So the pump to my skimmer was making an AWFUL racket. It finally went away. I then noticed it went away because it wasn't working. I lifted the skimmer out of the tank and poured the water out. I later realized that the surface of the tank was smooth... my vortech wasn't working. I had poured the water out of my skimmer right into the dry dock. I then took the vortech out and draped it over the side of the tank to dry and see if it'd start back up. while fooling around with the cables i inadvertently caused the heavy vortech to fall on top of the canister used for the 5.5 gallon tank. this broke the clamps that hold the lid down. I now had water pouring out of the canister and onto the power strip for both tanks and the carpet. I had to unplug the power strip and fumble with the shut off valves. So my $30 pump going out... coupled with my stupidity cost me a $400 vortech and $120 filter.

I had to rush out to the LFS to get a Koralia 4 to provide flow until my new vortech arrives. I also had to get a filter as my canister was both filtration and flow for the 5.5 gallon. The 5.5 gallon actually benefited as I upgraded from the older model 2232 ecco to the larger and revised model 2236 ecco. I added almost a gallon of water volume and significantly increased the flow by going with the larger filter.

Everything is stabilized and the tank is looking good. I'll take some pics this weekend.

On a side note I've added a few more inverts. I now have 3 Porcelain crabs, 1 anemone crab, 1 striped cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 scarlet cleaner shrimp, 1 emerald crab, and 1 pom pom crab (ordered 2 but one didn't make it at the LFS). I'm going to add another pom pom crab and I'm thinking of one of the shrimp that host anemones.

Holy crap I'm sorry to hear about you luck. I messed up my vortech also so I have to use my other korrilla pumps. I'm glad that you got everything back and hopefully everything and birdnest is healing back soon. I will pm you later. David

Hey MedRed, sorry to hear about your tank that is definitely a bummer. I hope everything works out though!

ps: how are your porcelain crabs doing? I just got one yesterday but he has been hiding all day :(

Hey MedRed, sorry to hear about your tank that is definitely a bummer. I hope everything works out though!

ps: how are your porcelain crabs doing? I just got one yesterday but he has been hiding all day :(

they are doing well. They hide most of the time but sometimes decide to perch out in the open.

Pre Apocalypse:

I'd removed a lot of SPS to make room for pieces I really wanted. Looking for some ORA Roscoe’s Blue, Hawkins, Blue Echinata, Marshall Island Yellow Fuzzy, and Pearlberry Acro.

Post apocalypse:

The Koralia 4 looks big and bulky in the tank. It's putting out less power than the vortech does on half power. I can't wait to get my new vortech. I still need to upgrade the light. already bought the moonlights to attach to the fixture.

nehpxv.jpg

Pom Pom Crab: Only one claw has an anemone and it's tiny:

2qmf887.jpg

67vcig.jpg

Anemone Porcelain Crab: He lost a claw while I was moving him. Unfortunately it was right before he moulted.

2vtt7ok.jpg

20puj4p.jpg

Monti Mount: Just need some superman to complete my encrusting monti area

ojhwlx.jpg

Acan Alley: just need 1 nice rainbow to complete the area.The light washes out the colors. The one to the lower right is neon green and pink.

k4xnc2.jpg

wlce2v.jpg

Chili:

2d6pboz.jpg

Nice acans, did you also get the rainbow from amnestia? He's a pretty cool guy and have nice selection of alot of things. I got the rainbow n cloudy day plus some hulk n fireice. I can't take any photo right now cause I'm getting ready to move.

Did you ever got my pm about the broken mp40? lmk

I want a piece of that chili. It look cool! Is it hard to keep them?

so... Upon realizing my camera isn't as bad as I thought it was and I was just doing it wrong... Tigahboy gave me some tips to take some better pictures. Let's begin!

2ptxmhd.jpg

2jeskmc.jpg

xm91g7.jpg

2ezic03.jpg

208ffup.jpg

2cetafl.jpg

ip7hvl.jpg

2q0u3ah.jpg

2uiy88p.jpg

20a6gk9.jpg

2i9m61j.jpg

2mc668k.jpg

Night Shots:

2e6cvhz.jpg

Porcelain Anemone Crab between the Rics:

2aaftwi.jpg

Emerald Crab on Gonoipora (he better not be eating my polyps):

15quryx.jpg

Overexposed:

2e2gti8.jpg

vzkao8.jpg

2zh1q49.jpg

2s7szeg.jpg

33acfmg.jpg

Beautiful shots med! Haha I see you got the rainbow acan from amnestia too! I got the rainbow acan too! That's my favorite and the hulk acan at the moment. What's that bright neon coral on the top left. I can not see it on my iPhone :( it's hella look sick!

Archived