ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 34 Gallon Solana (R.I.P. 01/07/2010)

MedRed

Whoa, lucky. I didn't know he had blue rics, or bam bams! Those were both on my wanted list lol

Looks like he held out on you... I guess he likes me better... lol j/k :P

Wow your tank is freakin awesome. i like the different zones! you have a really good livestock selection too.

thanks junyoungmin!

PS CL... update your freakin' tank!

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like he held out on you... I guess he likes me better... lol j/k :P

thanks junyoungmin!

PS CL... update your freakin' tank!

I would, but there's nothing to see. lol. Just some algae, and the corals have been 1/2 way opening because I keep getting this stringy stuff on them, and it aggravates them. I can't really figure out what it is.

Thank you David. I'm trying to get on your level... lol.

Of major note... I've decided to remove the Jawfish house. It just wasn't working with my already too centralized scape. Mr. Man has dug two other holes that he doesn't spend any time in, but they are there. They are both at the front of the tank. I'm hoping he decides to adopt one. If he starts stressing, I'll add his house back.

On a sad note, I broke off a piece of my birdsnest while being clumsy. I epoxied it back to the rock... but it doesn't look as good as it did originally. I also was able to find my lost acan after removing the jawfish house and scooping sand from the back of the tank to the front. Only two shriveled up heads remain. I glued it in place. If it makes a come back, I'll be a happy camper... It's green on the outside with a red mouth. Completely opposite of my blasto.

On a happy note, I've added an ORA Red Planet. SPS stocking has begun!

Pics tomorrow (techinally later today)

Very nice, seems to be moving along fast/

Thanks Kraylen... unlike you... when I say I'm going to post pictures... I do it. lol.

I hope I'm not moving too fast. I check my parameters Wednesdays and Sundays. I'm tired of shaking little vials. I have 0 Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrate, and Phosphates. My magnesium is at 1600 ppm... Calcium at 440 ppm. Salinity is at 1.024. temp swings from 77/78 to 80/81 from morning to evening.

Everything seems to be happy. In a perfect world my clowns would host my torch coral. The one things is that my skimmer went from not making enough bubbles... to bubble overkill. the cup fills with water and the door is all the way down. I wonder if the epoxy i've been adding is causing it.

I forgot to mention I'm using Purigen and Chemi pure and activated carbon for chemical filtration. Those Marineland pads work SUPER well. I found a 6 pack of them at petsmart for $17 I think it was. I'm changing them out once a week. Something I really like is that it doesn't matter how much water is in your sump or how many bubbles your skimmer is making. It won't float like my filter floss has done a few times... and it doesn't clog like the blue sponge the tank comes with.

on a continuation of notes... My decision to remove the jawfish house was met with heavy resistance today. Mr. Man is skulking at the very BACK of the tank and refuses to come out... even for food. I had to work even harder to incorporate the house back into the tank. I'm hoping he finds it tonight or tomorrow/tomorrow night sometime.

Pics are delayed due to the water being slight cloudy from reburying the jawfish house.

Pictures as promised

So... the SPS stocking has begun! As you can see, I am NOT doing frag plugs. I know they are great for moving corals around until you can find the perfect spot, flow, and light for them... but I just can't do it. I want my tank to be aesthetic from the get go and get more so as everything grows in. Using epoxy is almost like creating your own frag plug as it only only takes a little bit of force to remove break the bond. I forgot to note that I've caught and removed 2 of my peppermints and I've added 1 Cleaner shrimp. I keep forgetting to take a picture of him. He likes to be a little poophead and work the back of the rocks until I put my hand in the tank. Then he runs over to clean my hands... He's out at night a lot as well.

121pdfd.jpg

New Red Planet:

28umxyx.jpg

The stylophora is bushy like hermione's hair!:

2qiz76h.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest & Oregon Tort:

vrcynd.jpg

Forgot what this guys is. Encrusting coral that starts with an "S" I believe:

140xgl0.jpg

I have some of these guys on the way: :naughtydance:

R.jpg

Dude, this is awesome, do you mind me asking how much you've spent on it now?

Thanks Jamo!, I only kept a spreadsheet of my initial setup. That total came to $1,997.71. I did no keep track of of what I've bought since then. I imagine I'm around $3,000 - $3,500 in at this point.

Thanks Jamo!, I only kept a spreadsheet of my initial setup. That total came to $1,997.71. I did no keep track of of what I've bought since then. I imagine I'm around $3,000 - $3,500 in at this point.

LMAO it is amazing how it adds up. I got around 2500 probally in my Biocube 29. I just got my Marco rocks and sand for my Solana that should be coming anytime this week. It was on backorder.I also purchased a Sunpod. WOW the money we spend. Hope my wife doesn't read this. :D

LMAO it is amazing how it adds up. I got around 2500 probally in my Biocube 29. I just got my Marco rocks and sand for my Solana that should be coming anytime this week. It was on backorder.I also purchased a Sunpod. WOW the money we spend. Hope my wife doesn't read this. :D

I hear you Lawnman. Luckily I'm single or I wouldn't be allowed to do such things I'm sure. A FW tank of similar size runs me about the same... and I have 5 FW tanks in this range. congrats on the new Solana!

I think my Clowns and Gobies may have velvet. The blenny and jawfish show no signs of it. The gobies definitely have something on their skin. I netted out all of the fish last night with remarkable ease and no damage to the tank. I'm going to go fallow for the next couple of months and leave everyone in quarantine like I should have done from the get go. Not sure how to go about treating yet. I will post pictures for a better diagnosis.

I think my Clowns and Gobies may have velvet. The blenny and jawfish show no signs of it. The gobies definitely have something on their skin. I netted out all of the fish last night with remarkable ease and no damage to the tank. I'm going to go fallow for the next couple of months and leave everyone in quarantine like I should have done from the get go. Not sure how to go about treating yet. I will post pictures for a better diagnosis.

Egad... I hope things come out okay! I need to set up a QT soon...

Egad... I hope things come out okay! I need to set up a QT soon...

i knew something was on the gobies a day or two after adding them to the tank. They drove 6 hours from a fish store, were placed in a strange tank that had fish in it for a couple of days, were bagged up overnight, and then went home 4 hours with me after the conference. I imagine they were pretty stressed. Even though i noticed something on the gobies... no one else showed any signs of infection so i thought it'd be ok. I know see a few super fine white white powder spots on the clowns that i can't be sure it's not something. If I took a picture of them... i doubt anything out of the ordinary would show up. the jawfish and the tailspot look completely fine.

I'm going to set fish only and a coral only Quarantine tanks. I'll continue building the reef while it's fallow.

So I treated with Maracide in the QT tank like I would with FW. Only after, did I realize Maracide says fW only. Is there any worry with using Malachite Green and Chitosan in SW? I elevated the temperature to 84 degrees to speed up the lifecycle. Looks like it was just ich and not velvet. Marine Ich is smaller than FW Ich in size and I didn't realize that until viewing some pictures.

Only the clowns and gobies showed any sign of it. And it was just a very, very light peppering. I was still trying to decided if it was or wasn't something when I pulled them out. Better to be safe than sorry (should have taken my own advice and QT'd from the beginning). Jawfish and Blenny show no signs of it. Everyone looks healthy and have no signs of stress. No clamped fins, no sulking in a corner. I plan on leaving the main tank fallow until October 26. In the mean time... I'll continue building the reef.

hopefully all is ok med, hey what is this "house" for your jawfish you speak of ?? my jawfish seems fine where he is now but i wondered if you meant you did a pvc setup or something like that for him?

yes... a pvc house... Everyone is fine sitting in quarantine. no signs of ich anymore. I have to treat one more time today... then they will be done with medicated water. I've added a few more SPS to the tank. I should take some pics tomorrow maybe.

Those new sps frags you have are sickk!! Man reefing can be an expensive hobby very fast! and so addicting!

Great job.

Thank you! and just wait until tomorrow's pics ;)

The "We don't need no stinkin' sun edition":

I've added a few SPS if you haven't noticed :D. I'm already debating removing the Leptastrea, the open brain, and 4 of the SPS. I need to frag the large pink acan. I only want a piece of it. I also found some rainbow monti. Finally! I've added a new dendro and a non photosynthetic gorg. I just ran out of my first bag of IO/RC. I'm probably going to switch to seachem.

2pqqpgo.jpg

2ce3pxz.jpg

1424l7t.jpg

SPS Diadem:

mkiq38.jpg

ohn6o7.jpg

Rainbow Monti:

5pr9eq.jpg

Lime & Lavender Favia (not it's permanent home):

2a6r3nr.jpg

Ric Roc is finally complete:

2hs3tra.jpg