Innovative Marine Aquariums

MarvinsReef Clownfish & Anemone Tank

MarvinsReef

Dang that tank is awesome! I'm really liking it! It must be a blast to watch in person.

Thank you. it's been the best set up I've had yet. I can honestly say that the clownfish/nem tank is more mesmerizing than watching booger size frags grow. LoL. ;)

I'm still in awe every time I see ur tank. Few questions for you since you've gone through such a huge transition.

How would you rate the maintenance vs your previous tank? I would imagine feeding is probably more important but what about water changes and stuff? What do you feed? Also, given the size of your BTA's, do you think this could be done successfully in a nano? Lets say over 20G but under 50G? Or do you think the limited volume would pose a problem. Obviously not with the amount the livestock you have in there :P Would you consider this species only tank "easier" or "harder" vs a mixed reef? I would imagine you wouldn't have to worry as much if they moved around and stuff.

I really have no experience with BTA's so just wanted to get your thoughts. Sorry if u answered these questions before. Again, beautiful tank!

- Maintenance is much better.. once/week 10-15% water change and feeding for BTA's

- I only feed TDO pellets to my fishes and once/week PE mysis and other stuff I have left over for the BTA's

- I would not recommend setting up a clownfish/nem tank less than 36" wide or depth, the bigger, the better of course

- Not necessary easier than a mixed reef. I'm just comfortable with my current routine above

- I designed the rock work so the BTA's are less likely to move around.

hope this helps. :)

here's a few more shots.

2/3 left

08-09-20129.jpg

2/3 right

08-09-20128.jpg

08-09-20121.jpg

08-09-20123.jpg

08-09-20124.jpg

08-09-20122.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice update Marvin... remember, if you ever get a clone you don't need... LoL

Thank you. it's been the best set up I've had yet. I can honestly say that the clownfish/nem tank is more mesmerizing than watching booger size frags grow. LoL. ;)

- Maintenance is much better.. once/week 10-15% water change and feeding for BTA's

- I only feed TDO pellets to my fishes and once/week PE mysis and other stuff I have left over for the BTA's

- I would not recommend setting up a clownfish/nem tank less than 36" wide or depth, the bigger, the better of course

- Not necessary easier than a mixed reef. I'm just comfortable with my current routine above

- I designed the rock work so the BTA's are less likely to move around.

hope this helps. :)

here's a few more shots.

2/3 left

08-09-20129.jpg

2/3 right

08-09-20128.jpg

08-09-20121.jpg

08-09-20123.jpg

08-09-20124.jpg

08-09-20122.jpg

• 1 month later...
Wow! That's my dream tank!
Wow Marvin! your tank is so incredible

Thank you. :)

I did! So inspiring... :D

LoL. yours is gonna look better than mine soon. :)

Do you have just one dominate female clown in your tank? The clowns look small but it's a big tank so it is hard to tell.

yes, I have a 3yrs old ORA Premium (~3"). she was another ORA Picasso for a year or so before I converted the tank. I planned on having her in an acclimation box for however long I needed to because I feared that she'll go on a rampage when I added the juvis. had her on the box when I introduced the juvis but somehow the gate opened and I saw her the next day swimming around with the juvis. she can careless about them. she took the longest to find the BTA's, but once she found them, she's been ruling the BTA field since.

wow this tank is awesome!!!!!! I have always wanted a nem dominated tank, it looks so graceful!

Thanks. it's been the most fun set up I've had and almost a year and I'm not getting bored at all. ;)

WOW!

really got some money in fish there eh....

a little bit. :D

This tank is simply beautiful!!

Ever thought about throwing in some green bubble tips in the mix?

Thank you. yes, I will be looking for other color morphs of BTA's and will slowly add them in the near future. :)

Very nice.

Thanks. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats on the reef 2 reef nod.
As Steely said congrats over at Reef2Reef. Tank is looking awesome my friend.

Thanks guys. :)

adding updated pics...

added 11-04-2012.. new BTA morph. really like the orange tips on this one.

11-07-12B.jpg

11-07-12D.jpg

11-07-12C.jpg

Right side BTA's and clowns

11-12-12PicA.jpg

11-12-12Name1.jpg

11-12-12Name2.jpg

Left side BTA's and clowns

11-12-12withnotes1.jpg

11-12-12PicC.jpg

11-12-12PicB.jpg

VID -- 1080p available

here's the other pics that only had 5 bulbs on (4 Blue+ & 1 Fiji Purple). in the middle of me taking pics, the 2 BlueSp turned off. LoL

BIG MAMA

11-12-12PicG.jpg

11-12-12PicL.jpg

BIG MAMA & BIG BOY, cuddling before lights out in their favorite spot. they're also cleaning in this area for the past few days

11-12-12PicK.jpg

with ARROW, the ever so supporting young male that's been with this group for a while

11-12-12PicH.jpg

11-12-12PicJ.jpg

11-12-12PicI.jpg

Bubbly BTA's! I dunno why mine are more bubbly than some. even my big ones (8"+) are bubbly, esp when more blue lights are on.

11-12-12PicN.jpg

11-12-12PicM.jpg

11-12-12PicP.jpg

:o Amazing! That color morph is fantastic! Let's get a video of it!

Thank you. :)

unfortunately, the BTA moved in the back so I can't take a nice vid of her. at least she's happy and fully expanded now. ;)

saltwatercoral
iPhone 4s Tank Vid. I thought it turned out alright. sorry for the dirty glass.

Love the vid! I may try to get another Anemone now that all my parameters are stable.

• 2 months later...

these trio of clowns were brought home on 09-14-2012, so it's almost 4 months since then. the White eyed Platinum has gotten the biggest (about 1.25"). the (2) Top shelf Picasso's are around 1" and have developed their black pretty good. All 3 are close to 9 months old.

White eyed Platinum
09-12-20122.jpg

01-03-2013Pic3_zps6139d6d7.jpg

Top Shelf Picasso (1)
09-12-20123.jpg

01-03-2013Pic2_zps363374bc.jpg

Top Shelf Picasso (2)
09-16-2012A.jpg

01-03-2013Pic1_zpsdb1d79bf.jpg

this Top shelf Picasso was added on 04-28-2012. I don't have a pic of him but I do have a vid with his brother (Fu Man Chu) when I brought them home. I'd say this one has developed some nice black as well. he is approximately 13 months old and approx 1.5". :)

07-2012
07-10-2012-5.jpg

01-2013
01-03-2013Pic7_zps601768d3.jpg

lastly... these ones have been with me since 1st or 2nd week of Dec 2011, they are approximately 17 months old. 1st one is SPARTAN, a top 3 on my favorite Picasso's. he doesn't get to hang out in the BTA's but can pretty much roam around the whole tank as long as he doesn't get too close to the BTA's. he's approximately 1.5". 2nd one is FRECKLES, another on the top 3 favorite Picasso. he has a dot on the other side so I named him Freckles. he hangs out and guard the right BTA island with a few of his brothers. he's approx 2". 3rd is TIGER, he hangs out on the right BTA island with Freckles, along with a few other Picasso's. he's approximately 1.75". 4th and last one is SYMM, he is one of the two candidates to mate with Big Mama (3 yrs old ORA Premium). he's slightly smaller than the other dominant male. there's a group of 4 Picasso's that guard the left BTA island. he's approximately 2.25". hope you enjoyed the update. any comments or questions, post away. :)

SPARTAN
01-03-2013Pic4_zpscf0c0687.jpg

FRECKLES
01-03-2013Pic5_zpscb6c6d40.jpg

TIGER
01-03-2013Pic6_zps7d60bef5.jpg

SYMM
01-03-2013Pic8_zpsb3fdffef.jpg

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

Must say If I had the chance to come snag "Spartan" in the middle of the night I wouldnt think twice. Awesome fish! Where did you purchase them? Currently working on a RBTA/Picasso tank myself. 40B w/ 40B sump, One female and 2-3 males. SImple CUC and call it a night. Awesome stuff man.

Archived