Top Shelf Aquatics

David and Katie's 75g Mixed Reef

davidncbrown

davidncbrown
Your clam isn't a crocea. It is a Deresa and very nice looking.

Your laserbeam chalice and red blastos are sooo pretty.

Hmm good to know. My girlfriend just said "I told you so!" Haha. What's the difference? And thanks on the blasto's and chalice :).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
davidncbrown

Hmm good to know. My girlfriend just said "I told you so!" Haha. What's the difference? And thanks on the blasto's and chalice :).

davidncbrown

• 3 months later...
davidncbrown

Wow so its been a while since we posted anything on here... I'm sorry about that for anyone who was following. We still have the tank and we still get new stuff on a regular basis, we have just been very busy lately...

But right now, I'm actually doing a red bug treatment with interceptor so I'll post the pictures and the results when I'm done. A lot of our acro colonies have bleached because of these little buggers... I've tried everything and interceptor is our last resort... so I'm currently treating the whole tank.. :/ We're on minute 30 though and I'm definitely seeing some changes in the red bugs behavior! I'll keep ya'll posted!

davidncbrown

Red bug treatment is over. Here is my treatment information and results/side effects.

I want to first make a disclaimer that it is illegal to use prescription medication in any way not outlined on the package. I obtained my Interceptor through my own means and am knowingly using it for its non intended use. If anyone should choose to follow my lead I accept no responsibility for anything that happens in your tank because of your treatment. I wish to post my results of my treatment so that others may learn from it and use my experience to make their own decisions regarding red bug treatment. As it stands, Interceptor is the only known pesticide to effectively kill red bugs.

First, I did a lot of research on the interceptor treatment and figured out my plan of attack. I calculated my "estimated" water volume in the main tank using the java calculator found here. The accepted dosage rate is 25mg of the crushed up pill per 10 gallons of water. I found my calculated water volume to be 57 gallons, measuring up from the top of the sand bed to the water line with the return pump off. I then imagined how many 5 gallon buckets my live rock and the overflow would fill up and I estimated at least 10 gallons. I based my dosage on a water volume in the tank of 45 gallons, for a dosage of 125mg Interceptor.

Contrary to some peoples beliefs, I turned off the return pump for my sump/fuge. Most believe that the interceptor needs to come into contact with EVERY nook and cranny and surface in your tank to be effective. I don't believe this to be the case. I believe they stay localized to their host corals, and with multiple treatments I believe that all the life cycles of the red bugs will be killed eventually. I prefer to try to keep as many pods alive in my fuge as possible. I did however run an air stone and the koralias in my main tank to keep the water as oxygenated as possible. Here is the timeline and results of treatment.

10:08am -Bombs away!

15mins elapsed: fish and shrimp are lively, everything looks normal

30mins elapsed: Some red bugs are "loose" on the corals while others are running around frantically.

45mins elapsed: all the red bugs are "loose" or "swaying in the breeze" or not moving

1hr elapsed: I think they're all dazed or dead... or dying.. The shrimp is acting very slow and I haven't been able to see the acro crab so I don't know how he is doing... The red leg hermits are still alive and moving around, but the blue leg and striped leg hermits and either dead or paralyzed.

1hr 15mins: nothing different

1hr 30mins: used the turkey baster and blew most of the red bugs off the corals. Some are still either clinging or stuck to the coral, but none are moving around. All hermits are dead. Shrimp is very still. Finally saw the acropora crab... it's very still as well.

1hr 45mins: Shrimp has gone back into the rock work. Acro crab is still, possibly dead.

2hr 15mins: Can't find the shrimp, Acro crab is actually still alive but barely... No red bugs in sight. The stragglers must have fallen off.

2hr 45mins: I have done a thorough search for red bugs and I cannot find any. I believe the shrimp to be dead. The acro crab is dead too... Hermits have been long dead... This treatment is not without its side effects. I am doing a 20 gallon water change and then placing two large bags of carbon in the tank. I will leave the bags in the tank for 30 mins, and then I will turn the return pump on and place the carbon in the sump.

3:15pm Everything is looking good in the tank coral wise. I believe the corals really liked the large water change... I wish I had the time and resources to do a wc this size more often. I fished the acro crab out from behind the stylophora (its home). It isn't "limp" so maybe its just dazed... I sat it on top of the stylo colony and its legs have "grasped" the coral. Not so sure if thats just rigor or its alive but we'll see. I'm not very hopeful.

As you can tell this treatment is not without its side effects. I tried for days to capture the acro crab and shrimp with no luck, so I decided to do the treatment anyway. I read one account of someones shrimp becoming dazed and still and looking dead, only to come back later so I still have a very small hope, but we'll see... I plan on doing another treatment in the coming days like many suggest. We'll see if any red bugs come back. Here are some pictures from the treatment. Before and after.

IMG_6237.jpg

IMG_6245.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

IMG_6252-1.jpg

davidncbrown

So interceptor update: Acropora crab dead, cleaner shrimp dead, emerald crabs dead, all hermit crabs dead, tube anemone alive, tiger tail cucumber alive, pencil urchin in sump alive, feather duster alive.. red bugs definitely dead. So the treatment isn't without its casualties. Judging by when I thought the red bugs were dead and when I did the water change I may have been able to save the invents if I had stopped the treatment earlier. I'm not sure if the red bugs would have been all the way dead.

On a brighter note I'm going to begin culturing my own phyto of strains Nanochloropsus, Tetraselmis and Isocrysis. I'm going to reseed pods after doing one more treatment I think. Looking forward to having a red bug free tank!

Well im glad the treatment got rid of the bugs although it sucks there were casualties. Hopefully you got rid of all of them and wont have to deal with them again anytime soon.

davidncbrown

Thanks. ya it totally sucks about the casualties. I tried for a week to get them out with no luck... nets, traps, my hands... we are just a prime example of why its so important to dip your coals before putting them in your tank. were not sure where exactly we got them from but they've been plaguing our tank for at least a year now. were really looking forward to the acros coloring back up.

Did you guys ever consider trying a wrasse,pipefish or mandarin. I had red bugs in one of my first tanks and my target mandarin at the time decimated them.

davidncbrown
Did you guys ever consider trying a wrasse,pipefish or mandarin. I had red bugs in one of my first tanks and my target mandarin at the time decimated them.

We had 3 dragonface pipefish. Apparently they didn't care for them and they were more interested in nutramar ova... and we have a Hawaiian flame wrasse who isn't the nicest fish so getting another wrasse like a six line probably wouldn't have been the best idea. We never tried a mandarin because we didn't feel we had the pod population to keep one alive. Too many pod eaters already...

Sorry to hear of all the troubles :(

I'm glad they sem to be getting better though!

Thanks. Ya it was a last resort kind of thing with the interceptor. I really hope they don't come back. It's recommended to do 3 treatments... one a week after the first, and one two weeks after the second. We'll see if I need to do that, I don't really want to but I really want those red bugs gone. They started as just a few on our acro validia and stayed that way for a long time but then they spread and it was all over...

Weetabix7

Nice to see you posting on here again.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem for you.

I have a tablet of interceptor in my ReefMed cabinet myself, haven't had to use it yet.

davidncbrown
Nice to see you posting on here again.

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem for you.

I have a tablet of interceptor in my ReefMed cabinet myself, haven't had to use it yet.

Thanks weetie! So far no red bugs have popped back up... aaannnnndddd..... OUR SHRIMP SURVIVED!!!! I woke up this morning to our shrimp hanging upside-down under his favorite cap! He must have just been dazed. Acro crab definitely died though, because bristle worms were cleaning up his remains :/

I hope you never have to use it, but if you do it seems pretty effective. Just try your hardest to remove all the inverts first!

davidncbrown

So no signs of red bugs coming back yet. Acros are getting their color back and our purple validia looks better than it has in at least a year. I'm starting to culture 3 different types of phyto: nanochloropsis,tetraselemis,and isochrysis. Going to be using it for our reef and possibly selling it depending on how well it does.

• 2 weeks later...
davidncbrown

Still no red bugs! Acro's continue to color up and our purple validia has color on it (which it hasn't for over a year). I have a culture of nannochloropsys, tetraselemis which are going strong (they're getting very dark!) but the isochrysis is proving to be a pain to get going...

davidncbrown

So isochrysis culture never started up... I now have 4L of tetra and 4L of nanno going. They are getting very very dark! Last measurements taken were at 14 million cells/ml for the nanno and 1.4million cells/ml for the tetra.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

So for anybody who cares, were still in the hobby... just not very active. Katie is working a ton and I am going to UC Davis now. This means I only have the weekends to take care of the tank. There are a few updates to the tank I'd like to share though.

1) B-Ionic calcium disaster... I have been fighting the check valves on my reef doser for quite some time now. With the super concentrated liquid going through them 2 times daily it seems to destroy any check valves I have ever tried, regardless of whether they were designed for liquid/chemical use. I have finally found some that sort of work, but they still have problems... Because of the fact that the liquid flows back into the B-Ionic container, the peristaltic pump fills with air and no longer accurately doses the 2 part. My solution? Raise up the containers to about the same level as the pump...... DON'T DO THIS!!!!! Gravity caused the liquid to flow from the calcium container (1 gallon) into the sump over the course of a couple days. I was unaware of this until I woke up one morning and everything in the tank was melting... Needless to say I had to shell out over $200 to have the aquarium guys come over (while I was at school taking a test!) and do a massive water change on the system. My salinity had gone over 1.030 and the calcium was out of the range of their tester (~800ppm). Lesson learned... gravity is a force to be reckoned with :blush:. Thankfully none of the fish or inverts died, only some of the corals. Things are doing much better now.

2) We lost our tang sometime before the above accident... He was doing just fine one day and the next I couldn't find him. He was a voracious eater and got an algae sheet every other day, and mysis/cyclopeze/nutramar ova mix the days inbetween. I have a hard time believing he died of starvation but anything is possible.. :(

3) We lost the flame wrasse too! Actually just before we lost the tang IIRC... This was the saddest day because she was a beautiful fish and just like everything else we have no idea why we lost her. Like the tang she was a voracious eater so I doubt she didn't eat enough.

4) And probably the saddest is 3 days ago we lost our mated pair of clowns. :( We have had them since 8/1/09 :( (they were a late birthday present to me). I really can't say what happened to them because I have no idea... but they both died at the same time! I woke up and found the female dead under some zoa's on the right side, and the male dead on the bottom on the left side. The neon gobies are still alive and doing just fine so I have no idea what happened. Water chemistry checked out just fine but I did a 10 gallon water change just in case. No coral or invert deaths either...

So, through all these trials and tribulations I have decided that I need to spend more time with the aquarium on the weekends, making sure that everything is working. The problem with automating everything is that you automate yourself as well and you forget to check stuff and make sure that it is working properly. Also some of the corals have grown sooo much its actually pretty ridiculous. I think we need to have a fragging party one day because whole colonies are starting to grow onto each other and attack each other. Guess if I can find the time, we'll have a for sale thread up soon. ;)

Archived