Coral Vue Hydros

David and Katie's 75g Mixed Reef

davidncbrown

fo shooooooooooooo nice my dad wants to put together a 70 or 90g tank were are tv is now he wants to by a flat screen nd put it on the wall and put the tank in the living room where our tv is now it would look bad ass but gunna be a while lol

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks really good. Lr looks great. Lots of color already.

Great choice on the mh blub. I also happen to run a 14k pheonix bulb. All of my softies love it.

If you get a chance I would invest in some led night lights. I have found that my corals stay open longer when I have the night lights on (versus off) it also keeps my fish calm. They don't bug out when the mh turns off anymore. But granted they all go to sleep 20 minutes after lights out anyway (such good fish).

Keep up the good work & post up more pichers

davidncbrown
If you get a chance I would invest in some led night lights.

The outer orbit fixture comes with them. ;)

davidncbrown

So I'm running into some heat concerns already. I'm still going to have to put another pump in the tank, a light for chaeto in the sump, and the main light on top. The water temp in the sump is 80 degrees when the doors are closed.... And the humidity is high which worries me that over time the wood could absorb the moisture and become weakened. I'm thinking about installing a fan in each side of the stand to pull fresh air across the sump and then out of the stand. This should help immensely with the problems I am having down there.

Oh and I made the acrylic tops today, put hinges and handles on them. I'll post pics later cuz I don't have my camera on me. Everything else is going great though, I'm hoping to start seeing some pods by the end of this week. The rock was mostly cured so I'm thinking it won't be a very long cycle. Only time will tell i guess.

SpankythePyro

run the chateo light in reverse photosynth mode. If you dont want to cut the side panels add a exit fan in the cabinet area that pulls air out from the back. Keeping the top of the tank uncovered will help as well. :)

davidncbrown

Ya. I already run my chaeto in my nano reverse to the daylight cycle to help with pH swings. Adding one fan to the cabinet doesn't help because it needs somewhere for air to enter and exit. I would have to drill two holes, which then why not put a fan on each. One pulling air in and one pushing air out. It would be a much better alternative. Oh, and the top on the tank is a must because the firefish jumps, and the cat is agile enough to sit on the corner of the tank and play with the fish... trust me I know.

davidncbrown

So I called Dr. Foster Smith today and canceled my order of the outer orbit t5 fixture. They are having trouble getting it in (i'm sure because current discontinued them) and I am impatient and don't want to wait to see if they can get them in or not. I just ordered one, new in box, off of eBay so fingers crossed it works beautifully. :)

SpankythePyro

Ah sry meant leave open top and put some pond net, eggcrate, door screen over the top.

For the fans its much better to have more exhaust fans than intake, or stronger exhuast than intake. Esp. if you have an open back stand

Sweet setup....

I would make a small suggestion.

Scoot your scape in a little to have inch or inch 1/2 room all the way around and off the glass.

This way, you get better flow all around, you can get a Mag Float to all parts of the glass and you can get in behind if needed.

Just a suggestion.

Looking good.....

davidncbrown
Ah sry meant leave open top and put some pond net, eggcrate, door screen over the top.

For the fans its much better to have more exhaust fans than intake, or stronger exhuast than intake. Esp. if you have an open back stand

Ah gotcha. Well the problem is the stand isn't open back... so there is NO circulation currently :angry: Thats why I thought having fans on opposite sides to move the air across the sump from either left to right or vice versa.

Sweet setup....

I would make a small suggestion.

Scoot your scape in a little to have inch or inch 1/2 room all the way around and off the glass.

This way, you get better flow all around, you can get a Mag Float to all parts of the glass and you can get in behind if needed.

Just a suggestion.

Looking good.....

Ya I had thought about that originally, but I like having the large sand bed in front, and I really like the aquascape the way it is. If we moved it forward it wouldn't sit right and we would have to change the way it looks. I'm not so worried about flow around the back of the LR, when I do water changes I blast everything off with a powerhead anyway so there isn't much detritus that collects back there. Our nano is the same way.

davidncbrown

Mmk so the tank is coming along. It's cycling right now and I have a feeling its getting near the end. I chose to run the skimmer during cycling to clean out some of the DOC's in the water from any die off and it's taken out quite a bit. Beginning last night I started dosing Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7, along with Prodibio Bioclean. I left the skimmer off overnight and plugged it back in when I woke up. I'm really trying to get this thing cycled quick because our light is coming via UPS on july 2nd and I want to be able to put a CUC in the tank before the 4th. We're going to go with some blue leg hermits, a couple scarlet leg hermits, some astrea snails, a couple turbos, a couple chestnut snails, and some nassarius. I also have a fighting conch in the nano's sump which I will transfer over to the new sump when needed.

As time goes on and we add corals and fish to the tank we might get a sea cucumber to stir the sand bed, and an emerald crab if we get any GHA.

• 4 weeks later...
davidncbrown

Wow so where to begin... I've been super busy lately so I haven't posted in a while. Work was hectic for a while, my internet stopped working... When it finally started working again I wasn't able to post any pictures to photobucket because of an "error." Then I went on a week long vacation, and now that I'm back my zoa colonies in my other tank have zoa pox really bad. :( Its quite sad because they were large colonies which I was going to frag and try to sell. So now that I'm back I'm going to try to get up some new pics of the tank. It's fully cycled, almost completely done with its diatom bloom, and some of our more hardy corals have already been moved over. So far the CUC is a handful of blueleg and zebra hermits, a couple chestnut snails, and some banded tronchus. We also have a huge copepod bloom which our scooter blenny is going to love when we move him over. I'll TRY to get some pics up soon, but maybe not today cuz its my birthday.

davidncbrown

YAY pictures!!!! So these pics are a little old. We have lots of new stuff in the tank, but I've been on vacation so I haven't gotten any new pics yet. Some sump shots for those who requested, my topoff, skimmer, and shots of the tank under just the T5's. I'll get some new pics up as soon as my birthday corals come in the mail. ;)

IMG_4473.jpg

left side tank view

IMG_4476_1536x2048.jpg

devil's armor zoas

IMG_4472_1536x2048.jpg

right side view

IMG_4477_1536x2048.jpg

sump view. This is an old pic, now I have a light and chaeto growing down there

IMG_4478_1536x2048.jpg

plumbing

IMG_4481_1536x2048.jpg

outtake fan

IMG_4483_1536x2048.jpg

intake fan

IMG_4485_1536x2048.jpg

Wiring mess! Actually it's pretty organized. The cords are all labled now. The top strip is for tank circulation (koralia's) and now the refugium light.

IMG_4486_1536x2048.jpg

Home made topoff :)

IMG_4487_1536x2048.jpg

Other side of sump with skimmer and filter sock

IMG_4488_1536x2048.jpg

mmm sludge!

IMG_4489_1536x2048.jpg

my float switch

IMG_4490_1536x2048.jpg

With the fans, the tank stays at a comfortable 79-80 degrees while the lights are on. :)

And thats all for now! Sorry its taken so long for picture updates guys. Photobucket wasn't working on my computer for the longest time, and my internet wasn't working either so its been very frustrating.

davidncbrown

Alright! Brand new pics! I took them today. :D As you can see the tank is really coming along. We have nice coralline growth and everything is looking good. Almost all the corals are moved over from our other tank. It has been a tough job making sure no mushrooms or blue clove polyps get transferred over on accident. They are both like a plague in our other tank and we don't want them in this tank.

So to start things off, a FTS.

IMG_4638-01_1536x2048.jpg

Yay FTS!!

IMG_4640-01.jpg

Our hammer about 2 weeks after having moved him over. Its doing really well!

IMG_4646-01_1536x2048.jpg

A frag of our aussie blasto! We have another frag with 5 or so heads on it... We're debating whether to sell it or not.

IMG_4651-01_1536x2048.jpg

Our awesome Favia growing on a shell. The plan is to let it grow until it completely covers the shell. Would be quite a novelty piece to sell as a whole if it works out as planned.

IMG_4653-01_1536x2048.jpg

neon green Caulastrea looking mighty happy!

IMG_4654-01_1536x2048.jpg

Candy cane Caulastrea from other tank. It looks good too! :)

IMG_4656-01_1536x2048.jpg

Our Acan Lord colony. It needs to be attached somewhere...

IMG_4641-01_1536x2048.jpg

Green ricordea mushroom...

IMG_4645-01_1536x2048.jpg

Not sure if this is a Acan or not..?

IMG_4660-01_1536x2048.jpg

And now the grand finale..... my birthday half naked ocellaris!! They have regular markings on one side, but are half naked on the other. They are super happy and I can't wait for them to pair up!

And thats all folks!

davidncbrown

Well, for anyone thats tagging along. I just got my birthday corals today!!! :) Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm still having trouble figuring out this white balance thing. The corals aren't in their permanent homes yet either, we haven't decided where they are going to go yet. I'll get better pictures once they have a home.

IMG_4669-01.jpg

This is the super high tech way to do a lugols dip ;)

IMG_4687-01.jpg

A pink stylopora

IMG_4688-01.jpg

superman lobophyllia

IMG_4689-01.jpg

Montipora Danae

IMG_4690-01.jpg

Bubble gum chalice

IMG_4696-01.jpg

Aussie chalice

IMG_4698-01.jpg

miami hurricane enchita

IMG_4682-01.jpg

Acan lord morph

IMG_4677-01.jpg

And we moved our clam over from our other tank a couple days ago and he's doing great! hmm... need to move that zoa colony...

Archived