Innovative Marine Aquariums

David and Katie's 75g Mixed Reef

davidncbrown

animalmaster6

So this is where all your nice frags come from? Awesome tank man! Awesome!

Good luck with the red bugs! I am getting a Dragonface Pipefish for the 125G because theye at red bugs and they are juts plain awesome!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dragonface pipes are so awesome! I've always wanted one. Do you have problems with them in the flow?

Are they eating frozen?

No flow problems yet.....they've only been in for a couple of hours. They came from our LFS's 350 gallon mixed reef display tank with 3 koralia magnum 5, the biggest vortec you can get, and two oscillating returns. We are hoping they won't have a problem.

As for eating frozen, it's too early to tell. I have read that you can train them onto baby brine then cyclopeeze then to mysis. We hope it will work otherwise they will go back to the LFS when the red bugs are gone.

No flow problems yet.....they've only been in for a couple of hours. They came from our LFS's 350 gallon mixed reef display tank with 3 koralia magnum 5, the biggest vortec you can get, and two oscillating returns. We are hoping they won't have a problem.

As for eating frozen, it's too early to tell. I have read that you can train them onto baby brine then cyclopeeze then to mysis. We hope it will work otherwise they will go back to the LFS when the red bugs are gone.

That's good news... In that case I might get one myself in the future. I always wanted one, but was afraid it would fly off and die. Keep me updated :)

I'm mega jealous now..

So this is where all your nice frags come from? Awesome tank man! Awesome!

Good luck with the red bugs! I am getting a Dragonface Pipefish for the 125G because theye at red bugs and they are juts plain awesome!

Thanks man!

Most of those frags came from the 24 nanocube. We are just attempting to simplify our lives by getting rid of that tank. We have had really good luck finding great frags to grow out. Believe it or not most our stuff comes from our LFS, Aqualife Aquarium in Rocklin, CA. We have gone other places too but have the best of luck from them.

We have been battling red bugs on our 1st blue acro for awhile but they never moved to any other acros.....until a few days ago :( We lucked out with the LFS having these in stock. We wanted just one, but they wouldn't sell just one to us cause they were already paired, plus we read they are better kept in pairs. Hopefully they will work out so we can keep them. They have already brought a lot of personality to our tank.

That's good news... In that case I might get one myself in the future. I always wanted one, but was afraid it would fly off and die. Keep me updated :)

I'm mega jealous now..

We will try to keep the thread updated with how it goes with weaning them onto frozen food......think I am going to place a pod order.

animalmaster6
Thanks man!

Most of those frags came from the 24 nanocube. We are just attempting to simplify our lives by getting rid of that tank. We have had really good luck finding great frags to grow out. Believe it or not most our stuff comes from our LFS, Aqualife Aquarium in Rocklin, CA. We have gone other places too but have the best of luck from them.

We have been battling red bugs on our 1st blue acro for awhile but they never moved to any other acros.....until a few days ago :( We lucked out with the LFS having these in stock. We wanted just one, but they wouldn't sell just one to us cause they were already paired, plus we read they are better kept in pairs. Hopefully they will work out so we can keep them. They have already brought a lot of personality to our tank.

I am having tons of SPS so I want to be red bug free!

I too have heard they are better in pairs. I don't have space for a pair though lol.

I am planning on putting them in 8 months after the tank is estaablished. I want plenty of pods for them because it will be really hard to get them on frozen :(

I had the best luck with live brine training my mandarin. It was pretty hungry too... a hungry fish is an easy to train fish.

We had a red scooter blenny that we trained onto...well everything.

I am having tons of SPS so I want to be red bug free!

I too have heard they are better in pairs. I don't have space for a pair though lol.

I am planning on putting them in 8 months after the tank is estaablished. I want plenty of pods for them because it will be really hard to get them on frozen :(

From what I have read on various websites is that the dragonface pipefish is the easiest of pipefish to train onto frozen foods and to keep in a home reef. They said it is the hardiest of all the pipefish.

animalmaster6
From what I have read on various websites is that the dragonface pipefish is the easiest of pipefish to train onto frozen foods and to keep in a home reef. They said it is the hardiest of all the pipefish.

Exactly what I heard too. I also heard they are the best for keeping with less-aggressive tangs. :happy:

I chose this one because they are the hardiest pipefish for a reef and they are soooo cool!

So HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to us!!! On top of getting a pair of matted Dragonface Pipefish, our baby clowns decided to spawn tonight. We totally caught them in the act bumping uglies....dirty little munchkins. My girlfriend thought it was weird that the female was doing the shake to the male.....sure enough they are spawning. YAY!!!!!!!

animalmaster6
So HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to us!!! On top of getting a pair of matted Dragonface Pipefish, our baby clowns decided to spawn tonight. We totally caught them in the act bumping uglies....dirty little munchkins. My girlfriend thought it was weird that the female was doing the shake to the male.....sure enough they are spawning. YAY!!!!!!!

Congratulations!

This is the exact same thing that happened to my pistol shrimps!

• 3 weeks later...
davidncbrown

SO just a little update... It is unclear if the pipe fish are eating the red bugs or not.. They are both still alive and the small one eats frozen cyclopeze and nutramar ova. They eat pods sooo I assume that's what's been sustaining them since they weren't eating the red bugs. Kinda annoyed at that fact but the pipe fish are pretty sweet anyway :)

• 1 month later...
davidncbrown

New additions today! A super crazy looking pink Yuma, a blue strawberry tunicate, and a Tomini tang :). No pics of the tang as it was hiding, but I have pics of the other additions. Yuma pictures are with all the lights on and just the actinics.

post-37235-1270532512_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1270532631_thumb.jpg

post-37235-1270532792_thumb.jpg

There was a person on another site that had one of these tunicates. The "bulbs" kept falling off a regrowing until one time they fell off and it died. Beautiful critter. Hope yours does better than his!

davidncbrown
There was a person on another site that had one of these tunicates. The "bulbs" kept falling off a regrowing until one time they fell off and it died. Beautiful critter. Hope yours does better than his!

All of the heads fell off when we brought it home but they are regrowing. It had tunicate flatworm (look like nudis) eating it we have been dipping and its been in quarantine. The tunicate flatworms eat them from the inside out and are hard to diagnose. I have read that their lifespan is only a year to year and a half.

We also found out that it is a blue palm tunicate. People commonly misname them strawberry tunicates cause the heads look like strawberries.

• 2 months later...
davidncbrown

Picked up some stuff from corallineadam at fragfrenzy.com a few weeks ago.

ORA Hawkins's Blue Arcopora echinata

Bali Slimer Acropora yongei

Rainbow Green Galaxea

Red Montipora Setosa

and a few others

Will get around to posting updates pictures one of these days

davidncbrown

Tang is doing great! He loves to eat everything I put in the tank. I feed him algae sheets 4 times a week and formula two flakes on the off days. He also eats the nutramar ova I feed the pipe fish ( the large one passed away because it never moved over to frozen like the small one did :( ). The tang has also become buddy buddy with the flame wrasse. They both eat the algae sheet. He loves swimming around back through the rockwork and all around. He is very personable too :). I will try to get pics up on saturday but no promises. We are going on a week vacation next week and we have a lot of stuff to get ready so I might not get to the pictures. If not then definitely when we return.

Archived