inTank Media Baskets

Soaptray's JBJ 28g NanoCube Journal

soaptray

Thanks for checking out my nano reef journal. I will be updating my first post with pictures, livestock, corals and more. Read through the conversations for a history of my tank! I hope you enjoy, and thank you to everyone who has helped me thus far.

June 1, 2009

A new tank is born - I picked up my JBJ 28g NanoCube HQI - it's a pretty sophisticated setup compared to the freshwater tanks I currently manage - the total package includes...

Equipment List (Updated Continuously)

• JBJ 28g NanoCube HQI (150w Metal Halide Light, 4 NightVu LED's, Wavemaker)
  • 150w Marineland Stealth Heater
  • Upgraded to 2 x Maxi-Jet 1200 Return Pumps (300 gph)
  • 1 Koralia 1 Water Circulation Pump
  • H2Ocean Pro Salt
  • 20 lbs CaribSea Aragonite (Aragamax Select)
  • 35 lbs of Premium Indonesian Pacific Live Rock

Critter List (Updated Continuously)

• 3 x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs (Clibanarius tricolor)
  • 2 x Fairy Hermit Crabs
  • 4 x Turbo Snails (Turbo sp.)
  • 2 x Astrea Snails (Astraea sp.)
  • 2 x Nassarius Snails (Nassarius sp.)
  • 1 x Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata grabhami)
  • 1 x Mandarin Dragonet (Synchiropus splendidus)
  • 2 x Ocellaris Clown Fish (Amphiprion ocellaris)

Coral List (Updated Continuously)

• ? x Unknown Zoas, Scattered
  • 1 x Colony of Zoas (50+ Polyps, 1/4 - 1/2 inches)
  • 1 x Colony of Orange Sun Coral (16-20 Polyps, 1-2 Inches)
  • 1 x Colony of Yellow Sun Coral (7 Polyps, 3 inches)

post-26695-1243956051_thumb.jpg

Here is the tank setup, lights off (lunar LEDS on for the hell of it), with the live rock added - before I purchased 2 additional large pieces. I was astonished at how expensive it was - something I didn't plan for. I have yet to aquascape for my future corals... just needed to get these pieces in there to start the cycle.

It was neat to see all the hitchhikers that came with the rock... I counted 3 or 4 small crabs, a few zoas, some random corals and some other neat looking inverts. It's unfortunate that some of these little guys probably wont make it through the cycle.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June 2, 2009

It looks like my salt level changed slightly, or my readings were not accurate at first. I am using a Deep Six, which can be tricky to void it of air bubbles. None the less, I am now at a specific gravity of 1.0235 at 28ºC, which according to my book translates to 1.025(ish) at 25ºC.

Hitchhikers

After some investigation, I found some more species that made it into my reef with the live rock. I have included a few pictures, if you guys could help identify.

post-26695-1243967572_thumb.jpg

I found some strange blue-green algae looking stuff. Is this harmful? What is is called?

post-26695-1243967581_thumb.jpg

This one is exciting... a single small pollup chilling out in the middle of some rock. This is hard to see, but it has a green center. Which species is this? And do I have a chance that it wont die while my tank cycles?

post-26695-1243967586_thumb.jpg

I found these small things on a rock - they almost like like pollups, but I am not sure. Could anyone help me out with these as well.

I found a few small snails, but was unable to snap some photos of them.

I am getting a water test kit this week - they were sold out of the master kits at my LPS. Thanks for the input.

UPDATE: I have since picked off and scrubbed 95% of visible macro algae, and other things that looked suspicious.

1. I dunno, mebbe check with johmaloney, the King of all Macroalgae.

2. Looks like a Zoa or Paly polyp, might survive, just have to wait and see.

3. Looks like Hydroids.

1) sponge, nothing to worry about

2) HORRIBLE macro algae. roots deep into rocks (I have this). only thing I have found that eats it is turbo snails. ALYWAYS comes back, will take over everything if not kept in check. even when you think its gone it will show back up. ( I am talking about the stringy stuff, not what u have circled)

3) looks like clove/ green star polyps. ok, but again something that will take over everything. most people regret buying them as they grow like weeds.

edit: am I looking at the same pics as everyone else?

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I am just in the process of cycling my tank - should I scrape these algae off?

I am certainly don't want an infestation in the tank when I am ready to start adding corals. I have read that keeping the rock in a light-sealed tub will kill off the algae... is this a good practice?

I was told by a few people to NOT buy the white rocks, and get some rocks with lots of stuff on them to aid in the cycle. A little naive I guess.

June 5th, 2009

Went to the local shop and picked up some more goodies...

• Vertex Refractometer
  • 10 lbs Indo. Pacific Live Rock
  • Water Test Kits (Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia)

Trying to determine the first result of my water tests... will need to find a reference for where I am in the cycle.

NH3/NH4 - 0.00 -0.25ppm (Somewhere in the middle)

NO2 - 0-5ppm

NO3 - 0ppm

It appears that there is very little of any tested parameter in my water... what does this mean for the nitrogen cycle.

Thanks!

Thanks Scrilla!

I am going to be adding my CUC in shortly - it seems that my cycle is done, and my tank is ready to go.

I'm having some issues aquascaping, cant get it quite right. Will try some more tomorrow, and definitely take some pictures. Will keep this updated along the way.

Okay, so while I had plans to add a clean up crew, I did some more tests and determined my water was not ready yet. Instead I treated myself to purchasing 2 Maxi-Jet 1200 Pumps! They are rated at 300gph with a lower heat footprint. They are also slightly smaller.

I have these installed, but am still trying to figure out how to anchor them so they don't make as much noise. I have not had much success yet.

The polyp is not a Green Star Polyp, but a common brown polyp. They are very common and probably one of the most hearty polyps you can have. I am sure it will survive your cycle in stride.. It takes alot to kill those things. I actually have a frag of them, and even though they start out looking pretty boring, under proper lighting they develop into a bright green with dark purple / brown skirts. The tentacles on the skirts also develop green lines, and even though they are very common, they are great looking starter corals.

Good looking rock there, and a great tank choice. I have had one for half a year and am loving it. If you are working with corals, I would recommend you upgrade the lighting immediately and use the stock bulb as a backup. It is a good light with a very crisp white, but you should upgrade to a phoenix or megachrome to get that nice actinic blue.. but you neednt worry about it until your cycle is done of course.

Also, one other note, don't run both return pumps at the same time. Have them cycling at a 2-4 minute alternating interval. If both pumps are going, your media basket will probably overflow and you won't get very good filtration.

June 9, 2009

The tank is progressing nicely. I moved around the LR, and added the Koralia 1 to move some water behind the main stage.

Cytosol, Thanks for the help with the Polyps - I look forward to seeing their color pop. Will they colonize some more, or are they destined to be 2 lone flowers? I will look into purchasing a Phoenix bulb for the system. The other alternative I was tossing around was picking up the Actinic Retrofit Upgrade from Nanocustoms. Would I not need it with an upgraded bulb? Also, I am running the pumps on a 2 minute wave timer - I found out quickly that both pumps running together was a little much for my rear chamber.

Added More Live Rock - Up to 35 lbs Now

I finally bought the rest of my live rock, and am trying to find an ideal aquascape. I have snapped a few FTS - any advice on how I can improve my aquascape would be appreciated!

aquascape1_june_09_09.jpg

aquascape2_june_09_09.jpg

aquascape3_june_09_09.jpg

A new addition to the family

I found a few corals that decided to come home with me from the LFS. Can anyone help me ID this one? I assume it's a feather duster.

feather_duster_june_09_09.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, I am starting to get some brownish algae. Will add an update with water parameters shortly.

I was in the same boat, considering the actinic retrofit kit. I have the 14,500K Megachrome bulb and the blue actinic glow is MUCH stronger than compared to the stock bulb. I don't see any need for the retrofit kit after the bulb upgrade because my tank now has the blue glow I was wanting. You should purchase your bulb then see what you think - you might want to do some more actinics, but I think a beter bulb will change your mind.

The polyps seem to be in a bit of an awkward position. My recommendation would be to see if you can frag one of them off the rock and glue it to a small piece of rubble or a frag plug that you can sit in the sand.. when it has full light and better water flow, it will definitely begin to flourish into a colony. If you do this, try to remove the actual rock beneath the polyp instead of cutting off the polyp itself.

Here is a picture of my colony:

post-40546-1244600399_thumb.jpg

This started out as a very small colony with about 4 polyp heads.. then it grew to about 12.. then my camel shrimp had a feast and ate all the heads off of it. I thought it was a gonner for sure, but it came back and this is what it looks like a month later. It's crazy how fast these things can grow in the right conditions!

June 9, 2009

Added More Live Rock - Up to 35 lbs Now

I finally bought the rest of my live rock, and am trying to find an ideal aquascape. I have snapped a few FTS - any advice on how I can improve my aquascape would be appreciated!

aquascape1_june_09_09.jpg

aquascape2_june_09_09.jpg

aquascape3_june_09_09.jpg

Looks Good... Cant Really Go Wrong With The Scaping But From My POV, Some Rocks Are A Bit Too Big... Have You Considered Breaking One Big Solid Piece Up And Using The Smaller Pieces Are Props And Gap FIllers? Might Help You Achieve The Look Youre Looking For... ;)

There are many types and personal styles of scenes that can be created in the nano reef aquarium. In this article we will recommend a central rock structure with swimming space on each side of the aquarium.

Start by building the foundation for your structure. Foundation rocks should be smaller pieces of rock. The goal is to create areas that water can pass through and around while minimizing the amount of the sand bed that you cover. This also creates cave type areas for fish and other creatures to hang out in. These foundation rocks also need to be pushed into the sand so that any digging species that you may add to the aquarium don’t topple the rocks.

nanoreef-example-front.jpg

Try to create a few small caves for your

nano reef creatures.

The main idea is to create an environment that the animals can be comfortable in. You also need upper surfaces to place corals so they can receive the light they need.

The next step is to place the upper rock structure. These can be larger live rock pieces and should be supported by the foundation rocks. Take into consideration the natural upper surfaces of the live rock that need to be facing the light. These surfaces will usually have more coralline algae growth.

nano-reef-example-top.jpg

Top view of reef structure showing areas for

coral placement.

Try to avoid placing the Live Rock directly against the glass leaving sufficient room for good water flow. Also remember to leave enough room on the sides and front of the reef structure to allow cleaning the glass with a magnet cleaner.

Congrats On The Progress Of Your Cycle, One Week In And Youre Already Browning... My Tank Is Crystal Clear. :huh:

Scrilla - thanks for the input, much appreciated.

The large piece at the back is 10lbs... it was so beautiful in the store, but that gets hidden considering it has to be a base piece due to its weight and size. I may try to turn it on its side, with two smaller pieces supporting it.

Ill give it another shot tomorrow - and post some more pictures. I have seen some very neat scapes - much like the side of a slope from top to bottom - good for corals but I imagine the water flow would be terrible.

Yeah - I had a full layer of the brown stuff on the sand bed that I siphoned out. Got nervous. I am letting it do its thing, on a reduced light cycle now. 4-6 hours.

June 10, 2009 - Aquascape Redesign

Okay - I was going to wait until tomorrow, but decided to do a new scape tonight. This took me over an hour, and a wet carpet to get - but I am pretty satisfied with the results - man what a pain in the ass to get everything working together.

as1_june_10_09.jpg

as2_june_10_09.jpg

as3_june_10_09.jpg

Let me know what you guys think - the cave in the middle goes right through to the back, and there seems to be much more room for corals at various levels of light.

I made sure to leave room for my magnet cleaner on either side... this was the source of most of my frustration. As soon as I had a scape I liked, it was too wide... and was unable to squeeze it in without toppling the rocks.

As it is right now, all the rocks are stable... very little wiggle on the top ones.

Thanks for the input!

NOTE: Water is cloudy as I was playing with rocks for an hour in there. Will get some clear pics in the morning.

as1_june_10_09.jpg

I like the design. Seems simple and fits with the size rocks!

Keep it up!

Okay - I was going to wait until tomorrow, but decided to do a new scape tonight. This took me over an hour, and a wet carpet to get - but I am pretty satisfied with the results - man what a pain in the ass to get everything working together.

as1_june_10_09.jpg

as2_june_10_09.jpg

as3_june_10_09.jpg

Let me know what you guys think - the cave in the middle goes right through to the back, and there seems to be much more room for corals at various levels of light.

I made sure to leave room for my magnet cleaner on either side... this was the source of most of my frustration. As soon as I had a scape I liked, it was too wide... and was unable to squeeze it in without toppling the rocks.

As it is right now, all the rocks are stable... very little wiggle on the top ones.

Thanks for the input!

NOTE: Water is cloudy as I was playing with rocks for an hour in there. Will get some clear pics in the morning.

Looks Good And Familiar... :lol:

Thanks Scrilla - I haven't seen a picture of your tank - is it similar?

June 10, 2009 - New Goodies, A few CUC Members

Well today I felt like I needed to spend some more money. I have been taking shots of my tank using a 50mm F1.4 Canon Lens - GREAT for portraits and low light, but not so great for macro shooting.

I purchased a 60mm F2.4 Canon Macro lens today, and can't wait to get this thing. I should be able to take some awesome pictures.

And secondly I bought the first members of my CLEAN UP CREW!

• 3 x Blue Leg Hermits
  • 5 x Turbo Snails

The snails should be called tortoise snails, not turbo snails... they have hardly moved since adding them. The hermits are eating their hearts out... excellent!

Pictures of the new additions soon!

Looking good Scrilla! And thanks Yellow - will get a nice clean photo up without the mucky water - the snails and hermit crabs are doing good. Found about 6 or 7 giant hitchhiker crabs - all hairy and very scary. Will get some pics for an ID... I imaging they are bad - but how the hell I am going get them out of there.

Looking good Scrilla! And thanks Yellow - will get a nice clean photo up without the mucky water - the snails and hermit crabs are doing good. Found about 6 or 7 giant hitchhiker crabs - all hairy and very scary. Will get some pics for an ID... I imaging they are bad - but how the hell I am going get them out of there.

Thanks Homie... Seems Like We Are Both Neck And Neck. We Began Both Our Cubes Around The Same Time And Both Are Learning Fast. Dont Forget To Peek Over My Thread Build From Time To Time To See The Progress And Feel Free To Ask Any Questions/Concerns...

All Hairy And Very Scary? Reminds Me Of My First Time... HAHA.

I Think They May Be Gorilla Crabs:

Animals to May Want to Remove

GORILLA AND STONE CRABS

You want to keep a lookout for Gorilla Crabs (xanthid species) and Stone Crabs. These pesky buggers are predators that can cause damage to your reef, eating anemones, clams, and anything else they can get their claws around. They might look cute when they're small, but it's just not worth putting them into the tank. If you really want to keep them, you could put them into your sump/fuge (if you have one).

The sure-fire way to spot one of these is to look for the black tips on their claws. As Gorilla crabs get larger, they become quite "hairy" all over. You can smash these guys pretty easily using a chopstick. Take a look at the catalog of organisms for pictures of other "good crabs" that may hitchhike on your rock.

gorillacrab.jpg

Gorilla Crab: Bad Crab!

stonecrab.jpg

Stone Crab: Bad Crab!

Most other crabs are ok to keep in the tank, but beware that as they grow larger, you may find some crabs munching on sponge or starfish. To determine if a crab is "reef safe", take a look at the size and shape of the claws, as they are usually good indicators. If the claws are large and pointed, it's most likely a predator. If the claws are smaller and have blunt tips, then it's usually a herbivore and reef safe.

B)

All Hairy And Very Scary? Reminds Me Of My First Time... HAHA.

HAAHAHA Indeed! One is definitely a gorilla crab! Hell, he is big and hides well. I will have to find the other one.

On a side note, a plant spilt into my tank... lots of soil and fertalizer got in, and it shot my PH through the roof. Posted a thread in the Water Chemistry forum for some advice.

My new 60mm Macro Lens came today... will be taking some pictures of some things... including some baaad things that I need an ID on.

Ill check out your thread... if I can find it. Throw me a link - very interested in other start ups. Thanks for the help Scrilllllla!

Archived