inTank Media Baskets

Soaptray's JBJ 28g NanoCube Journal

soaptray

I managed to snap a picture of the bugger - it looks like the hairy thing you showed me.

gorilla_crab_june_18.jpg

I will post some more pictures soon - have a few things to show.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That guy looks exactly like my gorilla crab... although I don't think the dude in the pick is a vegetarian.

Well, it appears I have about a billion Pods in my tank... they are EVERYWHERE - kinda neat to see them crawling around. My mission tonight is to find that pesky crab... I might throw him in my back chamber... that might not be a good idea, but I don't like the idea of killing creatures - even if they are as ugly as sin.

That guy looks exactly like my gorilla crab... although I don't think the dude in the pick is a vegetarian.

Well, it appears I have about a billion Pods in my tank... they are EVERYWHERE - kinda neat to see them crawling around. My mission tonight is to find that pesky crab... I might throw him in my back chamber... that might not be a good idea, but I don't like the idea of killing creatures - even if they are as ugly as sin.

1wasis.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA.... :lol:

Good Luck Trying To Find Him... They Are Good Hide And Seekers. :P

June 20, 2009

Today I picked up some more goodies from my LFS. I bought some Astrea Snails, some Nassarius Snails, a Cleaner Shrimp, a nice colony of Zoas, and wiat for it... a Mandarin Dragonet.

Before I get lots of crime posts about the difficulty of owning a Mandarin Dargonet, I have done an lot of research on these guys and feel confident that I can provide enough food and train then to eat other foods. I thought my chances would be good, as I have thousands of copepods already in the tank (their primary food choice). I plan on introducing frozen brine shrimp or mysis over the next few months incase the copepods don't reproduce as much. I just couldn't pass up how beautiful this fish was, and decided I would do what is needed to make it work. Ill let you know in 3-6 months how he is doing.

mandarin_dragonet_june_20_09.jpg

I also got 2 hermit carbs that I was told were excellent for eating the algae on my rocks. I cannot seem to ID them, but the LFS said they were "Faery" or "Firey" hermits (strong accent). If anyone could help me ID this guy, that would be great!

unknown_hermit_june_20_09.jpg

unknown_hermit2_june_20_09.jpg

Does anyone know the name of these Zoas? I got them from the "as-is" tank, for a great deal.

zoa_colony_june_20_09.jpg

June 20, 2009

Today I picked up some more goodies from my LFS. I bought some Astrea Snails, some Nassarius Snails, a Cleaner Shrimp, a nice colony of Zoas, and wiat for it... a Mandarin Dragonet.

Before I get lots of crime posts about the difficulty of owning a Mandarin Dargonet, I have done an lot of research on these guys and feel confident that I can provide enough food and train then to eat other foods. I thought my chances would be good, as I have thousands of copepods already in the tank (their primary food choice). I plan on introducing frozen brine shrimp or mysis over the next few months incase the copepods don't reproduce as much. I just couldn't pass up how beautiful this fish was, and decided I would do what is needed to make it work. Ill let you know in 3-6 months how he is doing.

mandarin_dragonet_june_20_09.jpg

I also got 2 hermit carbs that I was told were excellent for eating the algae on my rocks. I cannot seem to ID them, but the LFS said they were "Faery" or "Firey" hermits (strong accent). If anyone could help me ID this guy, that would be great!

unknown_hermit_june_20_09.jpg

unknown_hermit2_june_20_09.jpg

Does anyone know the name of these Zoas? I got them from the "as-is" tank, for a great deal.

zoa_colony_june_20_09.jpg

Nice Additions! B)

Heres Some Food For Thought: http://joshday.com/mandaringoby.htm

CrownOfficial

those are some nice photos.

i wish i could shoot like that :/ oh well

back to messing with my camera,

great job!

those are some nice photos.

i wish i could shoot like that :/ oh well

back to messing with my camera,

great job!

Thanks DC - I am still working on them... as you can see not 100% sharp yet. I think using a tri-pod would help. They are taken using a macro lens for my DSLR... a must have for fish photos. Allows you to get really close to the specimens.

Do you have a reef / thread for your reef?

MEET YOUR MAKER, MR. GORILLA CRAB!

I finally "caught" one... (with a skewer) - Sorry PETA. This was just a baby... 3 more big guys to go.

meet_your_maker_june_21_09.jpg

MEET YOUR MAKER, MR. GORILLA CRAB!

I finally "caught" one... (with a skewer) - Sorry PETA. This was just a baby... 3 more big guys to go.

meet_your_maker_june_21_09.jpg

You Werent Lying, That Is One Ugly Looking MOFO... :o

The_Yellow_Pony
June 20, 2009

I also got 2 hermit carbs that I was told were excellent for eating the algae on my rocks.

I hear hermit carbs aren't good for you :P

niceeee! a mandarin, i want one!!! ive read a lot, but only method of feeding i like is SDT's hehe!

its cool to interact with your fish and get them to know them =)!

nice tank, keep pictures posted, ohhh what camera u got? nice nice shotsss :P :P

Thanks Nappy! I like how your tank is coming along.

I use a Canon XTi, and that lens was a Canon f2.8 60mm Macro Lens - great for aqua photos.

The mandarin is doing well so far - but it's way to early to tell if he will survive. I am doing what I can to make appropriate spots for pods to breed, and also planning a fuge to grow more pods.

June 23, 2009

Today I picked up a beautiful colony of 2 species of sun corals. I have snapped a few pictures. It consists of the orange and yellow varieties - a very neat contrast. I also picked up a pair of Occelaris Clowns, which are doing wonderful in the new tank. It does, however, look like there are 2 little "bugs" clinging on to one of the clowns... is this something I should be worried about, or will my cleaner shrimp take care of things?

sun_corals_june_23_09.jpg

sun_corals2_june_23_09.jpg

Couldnt get a decent picture of the clowns tonight, will try again tomorrow and add an update!

By the way, I fed the sun corals a cube of brine shrimp, and they ate it up so fast. Will be very fun to watch these guys grow!

June 24, 2009

Today I was at my fish store picking up some Frogspawn (4 heads, for $40) - and I grabbed some more live tock to past my future frags on to.

frogspawn_june_24_09.jpg

I grabbed a bunch of small pieces from the Live Rock tank, and found some interesting hitchhikers on them.... RICORDEA! 4 heads of a beautiful looking rico for like $1 - can't beat that!

ricordea_june_24_09.jpg

I have it in the ID thread to get a species.

I also found a really interesting little blue polyp coral on one of the chunks too, which I gladly adopted. Anyone know what it is? Havent seen a blue like this before.

blue_polyp_june_24_09.jpg

Sorry the photo is so blurry - lots of crap floating around in the tank, hard to focus.

And finally a FTS - I will get another when the water debris settles.

fts_june_24_09.jpg

the blueish coral is a xenia.

where did u thread the wire to the koralia in the hood?

My hood had a little round piece that pooped out with needle nose pliers. It fits nicely through there.

Xenia? Very cool - those are neat looking corals when they get big. Do you know if they sting?

Found some Aiptasia on my new LR - AHHH! Need to destroy this one - I may just dip the entire rock in boiling water for a few minutes...

That will kill everything on the rock though, wont it... will it re-seed?

unknown_june_25_09.jpg

Nice tank shot and new additions!

Thanks Maine! Its coming together really nice! Has been a lot of fun so far (and expensive)

just boil the part with the aiptasia

I think this will be the best bet - should pouring boiling water on it solve the problem? Or should I stick the whole thing under?

those sun corals look pretty sweet!

The sun corals are doing GREAT - I feed them every 2 days. I give them each a few brine of mysis shrimps... they eat them up so fast. They also have the occasional copepod land in their mouth.

Archived