ReefCleaners.org

Soaptray's JBJ 28g NanoCube Journal

soaptray

:angry: i want them sun coralssss!! and ur mandarin =), btw how is he doing?

im planning on buying one, my lfs says they got them to eat frozen brine and mysis(i got to see it by myself first, though) and well, if thats the case, im gonna take the six-line wrasse out and buy a yellow clown goby and the mandarin =)!!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Found some Aiptasia on my new LR - AHHH! Need to destroy this one - I may just dip the entire rock in boiling water for a few minutes...

That will kill everything on the rock though, wont it... will it re-seed?

unknown_june_25_09.jpg

I Had A Similar Issue... Dont Know If Its Possible Or Not But I Took Out The Affected Piece Entirely...

I Then Shot It With Lime Juice. Not Satisfied, I Then Shot It With Hot Water... And By Shot, I Mean I Used A Needleless Syringe From The Pharmacy...

I Then Said F-It And I "Chiseled" Around The Area And Made Sure To Remove All I Could Of It. This Would Be A Great Time To Also Inspect For Other Things... I Discovered Green Bubble Algae All Under Mine.... :angry:

Yeah - I can already see an "offspring" on another rock of this ####. I am going to get rid of it soon - been hella busy recently. The Aiptasia is growing from within a hole - and has a tubular root extending out. Would be hard to chisel that one away - heres to hoping the boiling water works.

The mandarin is doing great - he is eating pods all day off the floor and rocks. He is much more comfortable in the tank, as he swims around. Still unsure about the cleaner shrimp that has tried to clean him up once or twice. He will get used to it.

sweet. i cant wait to get a mandarin. i started off with a scooter blenny... more hardy and easier to train on frozen.

Your tank is looking great! I've always used Joe Juice to kill Aiptasia...a little goes a long way with a syringe and it's cool seeing some of those bastards pop.

Your tank is looking great! I've always used Joe Juice to kill Aiptasia...a little goes a long way with a syringe and it's cool seeing some of those bastards pop.

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else, (I did use search btw).

I've been looking at the JBJ tanks, I was wondering how loud the 4 fans are and how the tank temp does without a chiller? It looks like you are having great luck so far, but you mentioned 28 deg celsius?

I love the looks of this tank. I was comparing this and the CF version and the Viper k2 24gal and trying to make decisions for a purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

Soaptray, I read your thread in its entirety. Very nice indeed. I am getting the same tank. Do you have problems with overheating due to the halides? How much does the fans help?

• 2 weeks later...

For your aiptasia problem - do you have any canned air? If so, remove the rock with the offending aiptasia (remember where it is on the rock), turn the can upside-down and blow the freezing liquid right into it's hole. This will completely freeze it with minimal damage to the surrounding rock. Leave it frozen for about 5 minutes (spray the hole a few times if you want) and you can put the rock back in the water. This method kills pretty much anything, and is very handy for getting at critters inside holes.

I don't know if this is safe to do inside the tank or not, but I would opt to say that it isn't safe since they usually add bitterants into these canned air sprayers to deter huffers.. The bitterant probably isn't good for your tank!

Try it out, it works great.. I have removed all sorts of pests from rocks, and it even works great on troublesome algae.

BTW, thanks for the frags! The sun coral is my favorite, very beautiful..

How is your tank going? I started the same tank around the end of April.

I installed a mini artica chiller with mine. The temperature with the HQI on 4 hours at a time was running over 82 degrees. The chiller keeps it to 78.

I did not install the skimmer; I don't see any gunk on the top of the water. So I'm thinking I don't need it. Have you installed it? Do you see any benefit at this early stage of the tank life?

This weekend I'm picking up this Nano Glow refugium light that JBJ makes. You also need a clear filter basket from JBJ; $15 plus shipping.

The skimmer is for removing invisible particles from your water, not from the surface of your water.. The JBJ28 has a surface skimmer that removes film from the surface, so you don't need to worry about that. I personally highly recommend the skimmer, I notice MUCH clearer water when running with it. Also, less algae and better overall tank health.

Thanks for the input on the skimmer. You have to remove the skimmer cap every time you open the lid. Isn't that a pain? I open the top daily.

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain.. You need to remove the cup each time you open the lid unfortunately. Is there a reason you open the lid up every day? I only open mine once a week at most.

I see.. I would suggest an easier method for that. Purchase a long clear plexiglass tube (about 2 feet) and you can literally suck up the food into the tube with your mouth (but not into your mouth obviously) and then put it in the tank and spit it into your corals. It works great and doesn't require you to lift your lid and put your arm in the tank.. you can just do it through the opening in your hood. Great, simple method.. just dont suck the food into your mouth!

• 2 weeks later...

soaptray

Active Stats

User's local time Aug 15 2009, 02:13 PM

Total Cumulative Posts 92

( 0.1 per day / 0.00% of total forum posts )

Most active in All-In-One Tanks

( 39 posts / 45% of this member's active posts )

Last Active 8th August 2009 - 07:00 PM

Status (Offline)

:huh:

• 5 months later...

Just came across your tank thread. I also have the Nano Cube. Great looking tank. I really like the rock work you had on page one towards the bottom.

Archived