Innovative Marine Aquariums

accidentally detached clam from his rock

ezsalt73

I accidentally just knocked my new maxima clam off of his rock, I have had him 4 for days now. he is about 3 1/2 inches. He just started to attach himself today to the rock and i accidentally knocked him off. He must have just started to attach today. He was still wobbly on his rock but he was slightly attached.. Could I have damaged his bysal gland. Do you think he will be alright? I put him back on his rock and he has opened up again, I don't want him to die,

Urchinhead

He will be fine. Relax, don't panic, and monitor him without stressing him by putting your hands in the tank or doing anything else to make him close up unnecessarily.

Thanks for the reply urchinhead. He looks like he is ok. I was just a little worried because I saw a little strand or 2 of bysal material still attached to the rock where he was attaching.

As I understand it, those threads are like our fingernails and they will grow back.

BTW, I did the same thing last night while I was trying to remove my male Banggai Cardinalfish. It had been attached to a clam shell. I was surprised that I didn't see any byssal threads though. I have the clam on the sand bed with the clam shell under it. Hope it re-attaches itself again. ;)

Archived