ReefCleaners.org

New Tanks Make Me SMILE

Weetabix7

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that bookcase looks like it may not support the weight of the fuge after awile. :unsure:

and more pics. :D

If you're referring to the tank on the right, which is what will be the Fuge, it is actually on a Dresser, not a bookcase.

That is the same dresser that held my 16g tank for quite a while.

Now granted, a 29g tank is quite a bit heavier than a 16g, but I won't have it all the way full of water.

It'll probably be closer to 20-22g.

I expect it to be a busy day today, but I will try to get a pic up of how the tank looks now.

Thank you!

I've already gotten some good ideas from that article on how to incorporate the mangroves into the Display Fuge.

The only that confuses me from that article though is that it says you should float the mangroves on top of the water via styrofoam.

Another article that I was reading recently mentioned that in order to encourage the typical mangrove root formations, the roots should be in fine sand or mud.

Anybody know anything about this?

I should check with johnmaloney.

IMG_3938.jpg

Display Tank and Display Refugium side by side.

I will be painting the dresser the Refugium tank is on a darker brown so it matches better.

Bump for Janie.

I plan on using a Quiet One 2200 pump in the sump at the end of the lower level Display Tank to pump water into the Display Fuge tank that is on a higher level.

I will drill a 1" overflow into the right side of the higher Display Fuge tank and have it overflow back into the lower Reef Display.

LMK if you have more questions, hope this helps.

lakshwadeep
Thank you!

I've already gotten some good ideas from that article on how to incorporate the mangroves into the Display Fuge.

The only that confuses me from that article though is that it says you should float the mangroves on top of the water via styrofoam.

Another article that I was reading recently mentioned that in order to encourage the typical mangrove root formations, the roots should be in fine sand or mud.

Anybody know anything about this?

I should check with johnmaloney.

Sorry, I can't help you there. The link was written by my local reef club's president, but I suggest checking the links with that article since they are more in depth.

Thanks Weetie. Right now it's all Greek to me as I am under the influence of some good pharmaceuticals. Legal ones, I had surgery Friday. Will talk to you at the swap, maybe my head will be a little more clear by then.

I'm almost embarassed to post this, since it appears an imp has gotten into my camera and it no longer takes good pics.

At any rate, here's the first official FTS of this new system, it looks MUCH better IRL.

IMG_3947.jpg

It's completely unaquascaped yet and obviously not all the way full either.

Light is a temporary cheapo T5 til I get the permanent ones into the canopy that needs to be rehabbed. Hopefully that will happen over the next couple of days.

Having said all that, I really like the way this is looking so far, and am excited about the potential I see.

I really hope I figure out why my camera is PMS'ing soon...

:happydance:

What exactly is wrong with your cam?

No sharpness, clarity, detail to pics AT ALL.

Compare above pic to this:

IMG_3482.jpg

Yes, there's a difference in lighting between those two, but it's more than that.

It used to take great macro's, but those don't have the same sharpness of detail anymore either.

Like the work in this tank.You have some good ideas going into it and looks like will be a great system.I always liked the 30s after seeing tasha's tank when she set it up.

Hey L its looking great. I cannot wait to see you get the hood revamped and it all put back together.

Off to try to sleep.

No sharpness, clarity, detail to pics AT ALL.

Compare above pic to this:

Yes, there's a difference in lighting between those two, but it's more than that.

It used to take great macro's, but those don't have the same sharpness of detail anymore either.

Which of those two pics is the 'bad' one?

Which of those two pics is the 'bad' one?

Oh boy.

You know it's bad when a photog asks you something like that.

I'll try to find some better example pics tomorrow, I'm a lil tired tonight.

:)

And TY to plainrt and thecowkid.

Looking good Weets! Those mangroves look nice and I take donations. :D When are you connecting the tanks?

I just started my "siamese tanks" project which is a similar idea to yours but before I go any further I need to sell some frags and make some moneys!

Looking good Weets! Those mangroves look nice and I take donations. :D When are you connecting the tanks?

I just started my "siamese tanks" project which is a similar idea to yours but before I go any further I need to sell some frags and make some moneys!

I was thinking of offering up some extra mangroves for trades.

There's a few of us starting Display Fuges right now, mebbe we could work out some Macro trades amongst us.

I still have some work to do before I can connect the tanks.

Gotta get the canopy for the Reef Display rehabbed and install the lights (it's next on my list), then I still gotta put a divider in the Fuge Tank to separate out the Fuge from the area for the Skimmer,paint the overflow/skimmer compartment black, drill for the overflow/return, and plumb it together.

Knowing me, this will take at least 2 weeks.

I saw your idea.

I don't think it will work with just the U-tube cause the tanks are different heights.

To make it work you will have to drill one of them and plumb them together.

I know, I know, shoulda posted it on your thread.

Holy crap! :o

You weren't BSing afterall. :P:lol:

coffeespew.gif

I'm not just using the u-tube. I have to go to my LFS and buy a small specimen cup which I'm going to turn into a surface skimmer. The result should be an overflow like the one pictured except that the clear half will just be substituted with my smaller tank. The only thing I’m not sure of is whether the specimen cup I'm thinking of has the correct dimensions. If it doesn't then I'll have to DIY something....or tear the false wall out of my 24AP which I am also seriously considering.

62689034.jpg

btw this is insider information! I don't think anyone just looking at my picture journal will be able to figure it out until I actually do it. Or read this haha :P

Hey guys I have a question bout this odd clownfish problem I've been having.

My female Clown keeps just hanging out in the corner at the very top of the water almost all of the time.

Has anyone had this happen or know why they do this?

Yes, because clown fish = strange is the norm mine do it too then they will find some other "suitable" place to hang out while avoiding the coral you want them to host in like it was on fire

Okay, so weirdness=normal for clownfish, gotcha.

I sure hope you're right in this particular case.

In the 20L that I was having problems in, they would both remain in their "sleeping corner" for hours after the lights would come on before they would start swimming around like normal.

I was hoping it was something connected to whatever was going on in that tank and would correct itself in the new system.

In this tank, the male will swim around like normal after lights come on, but the female just stays at the top in her "sleeping corner" most of the time.

One of my misbars stuffs his/her head into my candy canes to "sleep" at night, lol. Yeah, odd.

Now THAT'S goofy! :P

I'm starting to feel a little better now.

Needreefunds
Yes, because clown fish = strange is the norm mine do it too then they will find some other "suitable" place to hang out while avoiding the coral you want them to host in like it was on fire

:lol:

oh so true :P

Archived