inTank Media Baskets

At my wit's end with my Maximas

Rockfish

so both my maximas did in fact get a pretty decent case of pinched mantle disease last week....i followed the careful instructions of Barry @ clamsdirect.com and gave them a freshwater dip in ph adjusted ro/di water for about 20 minutes and placed them back in the tank and the next day they were perfect and have been since.....

today i was watching my larger of the 2 (about 3 and a half inches) opening in the actinic light that comes on about an hour and a half before the MH comes on and his mantle looks ruffled in a couple of spots and the small one's mantle opens on one side and not the other!!! UGHHHHHH!!

this sucks.....i guess i'll watch them today and maybe get ready for another dip.....

anyone have and suggestions?

any words of wisdom would be great right about now......very stressed at this point -_-:angry:

ph is ALWAYS 8.2 and the temp goes from about 78.5 to 79.5 with the MH's till the chiller kicks in and brings it down

javisaman

hmm how are you keeping the pH at 8.2? It doesn't change at all during the night? Do you run any carbon in the tank?

Rockfish..... I think you need to go here and look at the clam forum, this is what used to be the clamsdirect forum. From what very little I know, PM is a bacteria caused by a protozoan. Many have had to do several FW dips to try and get rid of it. I wish you luck!

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/forum.html

only about 2 weeks.....now they're ruffled when the lights are off and they open fine when the lights are on after about 10 minutes.......

hmm how are you keeping the pH at 8.2? It doesn't change at all during the night? Do you run any carbon in the tank?

Carbon shouldn't affect pH very much...

A properly sized, tuned skimmer does wonders for mitigatin nightly pH drops so long as the air it draws from isn't CO2 enriched. Macroalgae lit opposite the display also does a good job.

My pH drops to 7.9-8.0 during the night and comes up to 8.1-8.2 by the end of lights-on. The swing depends on what my alk is. When it is in the mid-9's dKH, it generally swings from 7.98 to 8.15 +/- 0.02.

so if they're ruffled when the lights are off and they open fine when the lights are on does that mean they're fine or could they still have something?

Mike Maddox

Leave your clams alone for at least 2 weeks, preferably a month. If they're still showing signs of pinching, or aren't displaying full mantle extension, try a temp and pH matched FW dip for 10-15 minutes, and wait another few weeks to see if that works.

Good luck!

yea not so worried at this point.....they're both opening pretty well during the day and i just treated my tank for flatworms.....i've been very very busy with work lately and didn't realize i had a pretty good infestation and i'm thinking that might have been one of the causes of my headaches.....thanks for all the help everyone.....the little fuc**rs are all dead now!!! thank you flatworm exit

Archived