Top Shelf Aquatics

My first clam!

Appaloosa1224

Appaloosa1224

After 6 years in the hobby I decided to try a clam. I fell in love with this one last weekend and just had to have it. Any recommendations or tips to keep it happy and healthy?

186.jpg

088.jpg

140.jpg

very nice derasa.....i have one myself and They're pretty bulletproof as long as the trates aren't about 10ppm, if you have high lighting (MH or T5) keep them more on the bottom of the tank and if you're just running PC's, then somewhere mid to high up will be just fine.....Derasa clams are the most light tolerant of all the clams....they will do well in all types of lighting.....obviously the better quality of light the better they will produce food and grow

the thing that i can tell you is they get huge!!! about 16inches if i'm not mistaken so i hope you have a fairly decent sized tank or you'll be looking for a new home for this one in about a year or two

Appaloosa1224
very nice derasa.....i have one myself and They're pretty bulletproof as long as the trates aren't about 10ppm, if you have high lighting (MH or T5) keep them more on the bottom of the tank and if you're just running PC's, then somewhere mid to high up will be just fine.....Derasa clams are the most light tolerant of all the clams....they will do well in all types of lighting.....obviously the better quality of light the better they will produce food and grow

the thing that i can tell you is they get huge!!! about 16inches if i'm not mistaken so i hope you have a fairly decent sized tank or you'll be looking for a new home for this one in about a year or two

Thanks! I have a 150w MH with a 14K Pheonix bulb. It's in a 34g Solana. Hopefully by the time it's getting big I'll have a bigger tank for it.

that's the lighting setup im using too only over an RSM......he's grown at least a half and inch in about 4 months sooo.....like i said....they get big FAST!!

Pickle010

That's one nice looking clam!

Nice Appal too... We keep thoroughbreds and quarters.

Archived