ReefCleaners.org

TJ's Reef - The death of the...

TJ_Burton

Sorry for the massive lack of updates...

I am fighting a couple of lame battles at the moment with the tank and I really don't want to post anything up until I have them all in order. It isn't really major stuff, but crap that I think should be dealt with before I start posting more FTS and bragging about my awesome success lol...

I have recently purchased a few corals, a nice Christmas favia and an equally as nice pink eye favia. For all you tang police out there - I also purchased a tiny little convict tang as a part of my clean up crew for the time being. He is being adopted by my buddy Ray (180g) when he is no longer needed in my system.

My tank was having aptasia issues (the rock I used had aptasia on it and it got out of hand) but the peppermint shrimp (3) I added made short work of them, and a couple weeks later I can't find any aptasia in the tank.

I also bought a nem. I have lots of experience with bubbles, and some experience with carpets, but I decided to stick my neck out a bit and pick up a healthy looking Macrodactyla doreensis. It isn't an overly attractive one, in fact it is kind of bleh... but it was not expensive, healthy, and I would rather make an attempt at a nem I have never kept with a less than stunning specimen until I know I am capable of providing the proper care (which I do believe I can).

Anyways - I will shut up for now and give you folks at few photos.

PinkFav.jpg

ChristFav.jpg

MacDoreen.jpg

Convict.jpg

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
acropora1981

Looks like its finally starting to settle down. Lil' bit of cyano eh ;) ? Haha im sure it'll go away after a few weeks. For some reason I have a patch right in the middle of tank...stupid ancient bacteria...so successful...so ugly...

Nemo Niblets

Great looking tank. One thing; if you feed those duncans get ready to get fragging. :) Those are the green star polyps of LPS... they're weeds.

acropora1981
Great looking tank. One thing; if you feed those duncans get ready to get fragging. :) Those are the green star polyps of LPS... they're weeds.

strangely mine is not. TJ can fill ya in if you wan't details on that ;)

Beautiful pc. here.

PinkFav.jpg

Thanks! I will take a much nicer one with a better DOF later.

Those favias are awesome. I want.

I may frag them at some point ;)

I live in Canada though so Canadians only unfortunately!

I do feed them, they eat like mad! Hopefully I have to frag them soon cause I want to trade them for more pretty LPS!

I completely understand the "let me get rid of this cyano before posting pictures" situation. I am going through a bout of cyano at the moment and I'm struggling to pinpoint any causes. Just going to give it some time to work itself out. The more I've poked around, I've recently seen that A LOT of others are going through issues with cyano as well (these are in low nutrient systems with a lot of healthy SPS). Guess cyano across the country is getting a little spring fever ;)

Coral look excellent. Really diggin' the recent additions!!

-Adam

divec and TJ,

What salt are you using?

I have fought cyano in my one tank for well over a year, ever since I switched to Reef Crystals. It is the only thing I can think of, as I never had problems when I used DD H2Ocean. I have a bucket of H2Ocean on order and can't wait to start using it again.

acropora1981
divec and TJ,

What salt are you using?

I have fought cyano in my one tank for well over a year, ever since I switched to Reef Crystals. It is the only thing I can think of, as I never had problems when I used DD H2Ocean. I have a bucket of H2Ocean on order and can't wait to start using it again.

I'll answer for him since I know him so well; he uses the Tropic Marine Pro Reef stuff. Supposed to be the bomb, and TM is always really really clean salt.

divec and TJ,

What salt are you using?

I used all kinds of salt over the years I've been reefing (IO, Reef Crystals, DD H20cean, NeoMarine) and right now I'm using Tropic Marine Pro Salt. I was thinking that the switch may have had something to do with the cyano as well but it looks like it's just magically disappearing now. Unexplained cyano definitely has me :wacko:

I've had the best luck with parameters with Tropic Marine and DD salts.

acropora1981

dude; not reef related BUT: Today I was in Good Will (like salvation army) and I found someone's collection of electronica vinyl's...they're worth about 10-50 EACH, and I got like a hundred for $20.... crazyness. You gotta see some of these vinyls...they're amazing. House, electro, hiphop, trance...its all there.

Looking good man, where did you find that photosynthetic fan ? Nice shots of the favias !

Lots of places sell photosynthetic fans. I picked mine up from Big Al's which is my LFS (and also a sponsor on here now) lol.

dude; not reef related BUT: Today I was in Good Will (like salvation army) and I found someone's collection of electronica vinyl's...they're worth about 10-50 EACH, and I got like a hundred for $20.... crazyness. You gotta see some of these vinyls...they're amazing. House, electro, hiphop, trance...its all there.

That is AWESOME dude!

Lots of places sell photosynthetic fans. I picked mine up from Big Al's which is my LFS (and also a sponsor on here now) lol.

Really ? I have only been looking for maybe a month, I have asked at a few places and they sorta looked stunned when I asked about them... have yet to try Al's. Do you know if they will order on request ?

acropora1981
Really ? I have only been looking for maybe a month, I have asked at a few places and they sorta looked stunned when I asked about them... have yet to try Al's. Do you know if they will order on request ?

SeaUMarine has lots of photosynthetic gorgs(not fans, but nice gorgs), at least they did last time i was there.

SeaUMarine has lots of photosynthetic gorgs, at least they did last time i was there.

Looks like Im going to Markham ! There still closed on Mondays aren't they... damn.

Thanks for the info !

Hey man were did you order your mp10 from?

I got mine off eBay! It was used (barely).

But you can get one from the sponsor www.bigalsonline.com and get 10% off and free shipping which works out to be a pretty good deal. I am going to get a second one soon and I am going through them to get it. I am still looking for a better deal though cause they also price match and beat it by 5% which could work out to be better.

TJ

Just a heads up. EcoTech is gonna make an announcement next week. Pretty big one too. Think wireless control on all pumps!

TJ

Just a heads up. EcoTech is gonna make an announcement next week. Pretty big one too. Think wireless control on all pumps!

Thanks for letting me know in advance! :)

I actually saw some of the buzz floating around the forums with the new controllers. Looks pretty rad - except I think you need 2 to 3 pumps for the new features to work properly...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, time to break the news...

I am selling off my system lol...

Long story short - I have been setting up a recording studio and that is where my time and money is being spent. I literally pay no attention to the tank and it looks shabby. The corals seem happy and healthy as do the fish and anemone, but I simply don't care about it and don't want to have to take care of it. I don't want to spend more money on it automating it, so I am just selling everything off and replacing it with a 90gal cichlid tank. Something I can throw a big canister on and nearly forget about for months on end. At this point it is just in the room as a focal point and for the cool factor. I am not being a responsible reefer so I am converting...

That being said - I am not upset or sad or anything like that. I am sure I will get back into reefing again sometime in the future (as it seems I just can't stay away for long).

Anyone in Canada who wants any of my livestock - PM me about it.

Anyone in Canada OR the USA who wants hardware - PM me about it.

I have already sold my Vortech and Luft Pumps.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived