Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TJ's Reef - The death of the...

TJ_Burton

TJsnewLogo.jpg

a.k.a. "reincarnation of the resurrection of madness...gangsta style"

Table of Contents (linked)

Planning Stages & Flip-Flopping Galore: Pg. 1-3

This section has most of the ideas that were floating around my brain before I finally settled on a 30br. I had some cool concepts for shallow 20g tanks, and diagrams to support them. Feel free to steal my ideas!

(The Build Begins: Pg. 3- )

- Solaris I4 repair/rebuild from 6' to 2'

- First Diagrams of the 30B Setup

- Stand Build Process: Part 1

- Love Shack Floorplan (How the tank fits into the room)

- Infamous MS Paint Diagram of Finished 30B

- Stand Build Process: Part 2

- Sump Design for Peninsula System

- Solaris Custom Hanging Kit Installed

- DIY LED Fuge Light

- Sump Completed & Plumbing Begins

- First Drop Of Water (Leak Test)

- Vortech MP10 Wave Video

(Livestock Begins: Pg. 13- )

- First Fish & New Corals

- First Night Shots

- Solaris Upgrade from I4 to I5

ORIGINAL FIRST POST STARTS BELOW

After a long break from reefing (well, 8 months feels like forever to me) I have decided to begin designing and conceptualizing my newest reef aquarium. My goals are more or less the same as the ones I had for my 40br, with the exception that I want to be more "green" and use LED lighting. I am still a T5 lover, but I am hoping to DIY a good LED fixture to give me the same effects as my last T5 set up.

My aim is always to outdo my last reef aquariums - specifically my 20g and 40br (see below). Hopefully I manage to do that with this next build.

I will post my plans and diagrams as soon as I can mock some up, and I will probably edit this first post to include them, and to reformat it to the same style as my 40br thread's first post.

Until then, stay tuned!

20g:

NanoTanknov82004.jpg

40br:

NewBulbsFTS.jpg

TJ's New Reef:

LightingContest.png

TVsideNIGHT.jpg

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck man on your new build. I really loved your 40 breeder i willing be tagging along

Haha i just noticed you quoted me ...freaking awesome :haha:

carl-hair.jpg

Paleoreef103

WOO! Your 40 breeder was utterly fantastic and one of the nicest tanks I've ever seen. I can't wait to see what you're going to do next.

Good to see you back TJ. I followed your last thread and am looking forward to this one. Your 40 is what inspired me to start saving for one. I will have the tank on Friday and then we start drilling!

NorthCoralNewB

Tagging along and hopefully I will be helping out and learning from TJ Miyagi :bowdown:

Then I will be the next Karate Reef Kid :ninja:

Paleoreef103

What size tank are you going to go with this time? Stick with the 40 breeder or move up to something bigger (75? *cough cough*).

What size tank are you going to go with this time? Stick with the 40 breeder or move up to something bigger (75? *cough cough*).

Actually thinking of doing a custom acrylic tank that is 24"x18"x16" - similar to my 20g but 4 inches taller to allow room for stags and sps to grow tall and get some shape.

I will post some pics of what I am thinking about - plumbing and sump will probably be a slightly modded or direct knock-off of my 40g system with the exception of an external overflow box built onto the tank.

There are two reasons I want to use acrylic for this project:

-Stability and Strength of the aquarium

-Clarity

I was considering glass with 3 starfire panels for clarity, but with the external box and 7 wholes to be drilled I think acrylic is the best bet. I will just have to be very anal about how I place things in the aquarium,, and about how I clean the panels.

Good to see ya back Tj!! I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Kind of off topic, but do you have any info about your old 40g? I saw that the buyer posted a thread about it, but I don't think it was ever updated. I would love to see what it looks like today.

Good to see ya back Tj!! I'll definitely keep an eye on this one.

Kind of off topic, but do you have any info about your old 40g? I saw that the buyer posted a thread about it, but I don't think it was ever updated. I would love to see what it looks like today.

I have no idea what became of him - he is off the map. All I know is him and his girlfriend broke up; I found out from her and she says he disappeared?!

Wish I knew... I am going to have a hell of a time getting all my polyps and sps etc. back...

I have no idea what became of him - he is off the map. All I know is him and his girlfriend broke up; I found out from her and she says he disappeared?!

Wish I knew... I am going to have a hell of a time getting all my polyps and sps etc. back...

:scarry:

:lol:

That does make it tough to get some things back doesn't it!!!

:scarry:

:lol:

That does make it tough to get some things back doesn't it!!!

More like IMPOSSIBLE!

lol...

I will just have to get a US shipping address and buy nice frags off of NR members.

AdriftQuasar

I'm glad you're back and building. Your tanks have always kicked ass and given people like me something to work towards. I imagine you already have a great concept in mind.

More like IMPOSSIBLE!

lol...

I will just have to get a US shipping address and buy nice frags off of NR members.

i'll gladly donate a few frags if it's actually possible to get them to you.

that sucks that your old tank is MIA. i suppose it sucks that the buyer is too, but honestly, I'm more bummed about the tank, lol.

i'll gladly donate a few frags if it's actually possible to get them to you.

that sucks that your old tank is MIA. i suppose it sucks that the buyer is too, but honestly, I'm more bummed about the tank, lol.

lol...

Yeah well to be honest I am more bummed about the tank too.

I really appreciate your offer; I might have to take you up on it once I have things going again. I have a friend across the border I can ship stuff too and then bring it back myself the same day.

lol...

I really appreciate your offer; I might have to take you up on it once I have things going again. I have a friend across the border I can ship stuff too and then bring it back myself the same day.

TJ, I missed something. I thought you had sold the other tank? What happened?

lol...

sounds good. let me know whenever you're ready.

Archived