Coral Vue Hydros

I know this is a dumb question...

Jacobnano

Hey everyone I just wondered if anyone was able to keep any clams while they were small in a 3 gallon pico. Lets say I have a 36w power compact light above the clam and he is small, could he live in my tank? Ya I just wanted to know if that was possible I assume that would be enough light for a lower light clam, but they may also out grow my tank quickly. I just want to know what species if any could be kept in a small tank. Also would they be able to squirt the lights when the close up???

I am only a beginner to clams but ya I figured. If there could be a more elaborated "no" or "yes" that would be appreciated :)

lakshwadeep

Picos are less stable than larger tanks in terms of salinity and temperature. Clams need stability, and it is better if you learn how to keep them healthy in a larger tank. People like tinyreef can keep clams because their experience.

Thanks for the info, although my water parameters are very steady because I have an auto top off and do nightly water changes. I have an air conditioner and a heater in the tank so temp. shouldn't be a problem lol. But any other info would be appreciated I am like I said a noob with clams themselves :)

Well what do you want to know exactly? 36 watts of pc lights? Nah I wouldn't do it . Maybe one of evils pico led fixtures ! Or a viper halide. I just hung a 16.5 sunpod over my tank and dose everyday. I have kept my crocea for over 5 months in my 3 gallon jbj pico ! :D Stability is the key as laks stated. I know from experience ! If you can commit to the up keep then go for it ! Gl ! Keep us posted

Dang, the lights are what I was mainly worried about. I was hoping that since the clam will be sooo close to them it might be possible with a low light clam...

Hey everyone I just wondered if anyone was able to keep any clams while they were small in a 3 gallon pico. Lets say I have a 36w power compact light above the clam and he is small, could he live in my tank? Ya I just wanted to know if that was possible I assume that would be enough light for a lower light clam, but they may also out grow my tank quickly. I just want to know what species if any could be kept in a small tank. Also would they be able to squirt the lights when the close up???

Yes. All of them not just the low light ones. I had a crocea in a 5 gallon with 36w PC and it did fine. The big problem you are going to run into is the water quality/Ca/CaCO3 level issues and it outgrowing the tank quickly.

So basically the light are o.k but could be better and the main reason people don't usually keep them in such small tanks is that water quality can change really quickly and that they can outgrow the tank? Correct me if I am wrong...please do lol

Also if anyone could mention what kind of clams "could" be in my tank...like the species and size (I heard something about small ones usually don't make it?)

Croceas are the smaller of the clams. In addition, you'll also need to stay on top of Alk, Calcium and to some extent, magnesium. Clams do suck up the calcium. So you may have to do some dosing as well.

I'm stiil not convinced about the lighting you have. With all due respect to Urchinhead, while he may have had success keeping a crocea under pc lighting, the consensus is they do require stronger lighting. I tried keeping a deresa clam (one of the less light demanding clams), in my BC29 and it did not survive.

50 people can tell a person no it wont work, and it only takes one to say it will work and its game over. The person is going to do what they want. They just needed one person to say yes. At least you all tried to help him.

All I wanted was varied opinions jeez. So thanks everyone for responding but I doubt I will be getting a clam for my 3 gallon. I am a noob with clams and I admit I really wanted to have one... but wow don't need hostility towards a basic beginner, I posted a Q and thanks o everyone who answered it :) :)

BKtomodachi

Gotcha.

Don't get a clam. You're dealing with some other pretty fundamental issues in other thread(s), those kinds of things would absolutely need to be taken care of first.

Archived