Innovative Marine Aquariums

clam uncertainty......

Anthias_949

Anthias_949 wanted to know if...

it by too dificult to keep a maxi of other small T. clam in 10gal with 56 watts over it?

Your Signature tell the answer ;)

> Going all out for a 75g <

already have a 10g w/sexy shrimp

you could get a derasa but they grow fast and will outgrow your 10 gallon. Possibly, when the 75 gallon cycles you could move it b/f it gets too big. I'd do ALOT of research b/f purchasing a clam. They're expensive and very sensitive.

How long has your tank been up, what are your parameters, do you dose your tank with anything to keep you calcium levels right??

I have been adding calcium, iodine, coral vite, kent phytoplex, and strontium and molybdenum. as far as research goes, i've been researching reef tank(including clams) for the past year. i know they are sensetive. my tank has been up for about two months,my calcium had been a steady 460ppm, the pH is 8.3, alk is 2.2, no N02 and 20-30 nitrate. i keep my salinity at 1.0245. i know clams need a lot of light but would it be posible to get one in my tank?

~pH~

Well, phishhead just told you you could keep a derasa. I'd agree. Although IMO you don't have enough light to support a maxima or crocea which really need halides. The derasa are hardy as far as clams go and require less light than croceas and maximas. You could also have a shot with a squamosa clam.

Cameron

Word on the street is let the tank toughup for another couple months and stabilize (i.e. coralline growth shows stable ph, calcium and alkalinity levels) before adding the clams.

56 Watts of light.... seems tough to work with.

I'd still say Halide or die.

But Who am I to stop ya.....

Keep us posted in 6 months as to its status ;)

SUBSCRIBED ITT !

No kidding, could you get a job at every LFS, unfortunatley no. Can you give advice here and hope people listen....sure. My post was in addition to all the great things I've learned about lighting needs as well ;)

Archived