Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is a skimmer recommended for a clam?

Kimberly63

I plan on getting a clam for my new tank and I like not running a skimmer on my tank -just a fuge - because everything seems to be doing so well.

Now I'm just curious if it'd be safer to get a skimmer? I do keep up with water changes every week.

seems no one has responded yet, let me try

I would like to view the skimmer as an insurance should anything would go wrong if u are not around.

When clam dies, it smells horrible, your skimmer would able to pull out the decomposing matter if you are at work or away, and help to minimise an unforunate event.

my 2cents:)

Skimmer and clam compatibility are not an issue. You can have both or one without the other. Frankly I would recommend having a skimmer just because a clam doesn't pull dissolved organic compounds (DOC) out of the water like a skimmer does.

lakshwadeep

+1 to urchinhead

A skimmer is not necessary, but helpful. I don't know if a skimmer could handle the die-off of a clam, and I wouldn't get a skimmer for only that reason (ideally you wouldn't have this scenario fingerscrossed ). Also, you don't need to have a skimmer on 100% of the time.

the pods and the CUC will eat the clam before it starts to go "bad"

i most people have great results without skimmers. IMO u might get small bubbles stuck in the clam and kill it O.o

they hate air soooo much.

Actually thats not true. Several species including the Crocea are intertidal and have been observed exposed to air for long periods (relative) of time with no ill effects.

Article:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-10/jf/index.php

You are most likely thinking of certain Acropora et al. corals where the micro bubbles can become trapped on the undersides of the coral causing tissue necrosis.

IMO i would run skimmer if possible, i mean what negative effects do skimmers have? Bubble trap to stop microbubbles and youre good!

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem that I know of with skimmers is that along with taking wastes out of the water they also take things out of the water that you do want.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike Maddox

A protein skimmer is always highly recommended for a marine aquarium, to maintain water quality and remove excess organics.

auntievan

I have always run a skimmer on all tanks for the past 17years... As you said, makes me feel safer.

The clam in my 30 gallon is getting quite large...the clowns play in it all day long...definately makes me feel safer running a skimmer.

• 1 month later...
corallineadam
I plan on getting a clam for my new tank and I like not running a skimmer on my tank -just a fuge - because everything seems to be doing so well.

Now I'm just curious if it'd be safer to get a skimmer? I do keep up with water changes every week.

clams like nitrates to be present

i would NOT skim

A protein skimmer is always highly recommended for a marine aquarium, to maintain water quality and remove excess organics.

clams like organis and will actually suffer if there are no DOC/POC for them to filter from the water column they like some nitrates and some organics

i have had many many clams and i generally dont skim my clam tanks and they do wonderful!

Yes. They do. Hell they throw fertilizer by the bag into holding tanks in the aquaculture facilities over in Vietnam to help the baby clam's grow! And I am a big fan of clams as part of your nitrate filtration system. But they don't take up massive quantities of it by themselves.

However overall the benefits of the skimmer outweigh the downsides to the clam. Regardless of the power of the skimmer there will still be some DOC in the water column for the clam to filter. It also allows you to be more free with your feeding of your fish etc and is a good 'safety' in case something goes wrong.

If you want you can feed your clam food in the 50 nano meter range (think coral chili et al.) the same way you feed your corals (if you do.)

• 1 month later...

If you run a skimmer (i do), make sure you turn your skimmer off for 1-2 hours after you feed phyto for your clam.

What kind of setup do you have or plan to have (size, lighting, etc..)?

The only problem that I know of with skimmers is that along with taking wastes out of the water they also take things out of the water that you do want.

Still debatable...water changes will most likely add back the few things that skimming can take out..but anyone with a skimmer will tell you how foul and nasty that skimmate is. Do you really want that to remain in your tank? Definitely clarifies the water..

Archived