Coral Vue Hydros

Clams and Pygmy Angels

Chuck H.

Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone knew of any issues with Pygmy (Cherub) Angelfish and clams. I have a 4" Crocea that's doing well, along with 2 false percs, a Royal Gramma and a few softies, LPS and SPS corals. Tank's been doing well (except for the Bryopsis I'm currently battling) and is established over a year. Thought of adding just 1 more fish and I'm considering a Pygmy, I just don't want something "known" to be a clam nipper. Thoughts?

Which specific species? My understanding is that dwarf angels in general pose a possible risk to clams and corals. Lots of people seem to take the risk anyway...

Osric

reefman225gal

Its a crap shoot when it comes to Centropygy spp. picking on clams. Some are well behaved others are not.

Its a crap shoot when it comes to Centropygy spp. picking on clams. Some are well behaved others are not.

What he said ... I have a Flame in with 4 clams ... he doesn't even acknowledge their existence. :lol:

It's really whether or not you want to take the risk ...

BKtomodachi

I've taken the risk before without issue, but the most recent time he did start to pick at the clam. Back to the store he went. :(

I've taken the risk before without issue, but the most recent time he did start to pick at the clam. Back to the store he went. :(

sorry dude....i love pygmies...they're so cool

• 3 months later...

they're hit or miss... If you really like them, try it. but they are inclined by nature to nip clams.

+ to all the above. have kepta coral beauty who did great with clams but picked at zoas.hit or miss with induviduall fishes, not only species. ask your lfs if he could place the fish you want to buy in a reef system and see what it picks at. probably wont do that for you but it never hurts to see what service you can get

simplenough

I've had my cherub for almost 3 years, and he's never picked at anything, and i have clams, zoas, and sps in my tank.

I say go for it.

Archived