Coral Vue Hydros

What are the clams that live under little light called

Ytouf

Benidafish got me a clam today that is blue. The LFS said that it will live with little light, I have a 9 watt 50/50 bulb in my tank. If I put him high enough will it flourish? How about if I put in a 13 watt PC instead of the 9.

mebbe he means a cockle shell or periwinkle-type of mollusk? ??? some of them are blueish in color (the shell). is it the mantle or the shell that's blueish?

ESPI rolls in shaking with with so much excitement at the ClamMan and his post - Dave neglects to correctly post his image! Somehow I don't feel cheated though...

CalciumOverdose

go to www.yahoo.com or www.google.com

and do a search on "lighting requirement for a clam" , "best lighting for a clam", "what type of lighting do i need for a clam" , "lights for clams" , CLAM, CLAM, CLAM, I LOVE CLAM, etc.

and for any other type of questions make sure to type it there first

First off if it's blue, it will not survive long under those lights. Secondly if it is smaller than 3" You may have a chance feeding phyto until your new lights (which you should order today) come. Please Tell me the tank is at least 5 gallons. So is the clam a max or a crocea?

please give specs:

tank size

filtration

CA

alk

SG

and the reason you would only have a 9w 50/50 over a reef tank big enough to house a clam. Even a mini might (2x9w) is barely enough to grow sofites in a 5 Gallon.

oh and I agree with Dave's "WTF".

Please Provide more information so that we can help you to make the right descions and keep your new clam alive.

Perfecta!

No I'm not joking guys. I have a 4 gallon AGA tall tank, 1 79GPH powerhead, 5 pounds live rock, an inch of Crushed Coral, a gorgonian, some macros, GSP, some zoos, shrooms, and a sweet ricordia. I have a purple dotty, 6 crabs, 1 snail. Oh and brown polyps. Everythings been great, how should I keep the clam under the 9 watt lights, it was a gift and I really like it, but I also HATE killing anything in my tanks, it hurts the water and my nano ego. Should I exchange it for something else, thats a last resort but also an option.

Ytouf,

If it's truly blue, then yes it must be a maxima or crocea. These will not survive in your tank under that light. You really should go take it back and I am glad you realized that was an option.

I would strongly suggest you let people know that while you appreciate the gesture, nobody should buy you any live coral or sea critter without asking first since there are so many variables involved in this hobby.

Hope that helps and good luck.

Ytouf:

Thanks for the extra info. I would take it back unless your tank is at least 4-6 months old, you have 2x32w PC lighting or 70w MH and plan on feeding it at least every other day. Other wise there is a very good chance it will die. Clams require Stable Tanks with high calcium levels and with a tank that small you would really have to watch your salinity and calcium. Also Maxima and crocea Clams under 3" almost rely on feeding greatly. So even Even if you did keep it you would have to take it out of the tank and "bowl Feed" it as to not pollute your tank. Please Go to Clamsdirect.com and look at clam care. This should help you out a lot.

Once again it is very wise to take the clam back, unless you have a tank that is established and has good lighting and stable water quality.

What are your Calcium levels?

to put it another way:

I have a 8 month old 20 gallon with 300watts of VHO and calcium at about 420-450, a Derasa and a Squamosa doing very well, and I am not quite ready to put a Maxima (okay maybe a gold max) in my tank because of my lighting.

I also have a 3 month old 18H with 175 MH and 36w Actinic, and I would still not put a Max in there for another few months (tank is not yet mature enough).

Does this give you a sense of how needy these clams can be?

not every thread that is "OMG LOL WTF ...bad" erupts into a flame war.

look at the other recent "clam" post.... its a hoot if yer in need of carnage :)

Archived