Pod Your Reef

Vortech MP10

eddiecorrea

fastandsneaky

ahh cool thanks. Just can't wait to get my hands on one now. Every freaking day, I come on the internet and I add something to the list of what I need to buy.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$195 for MP10.I rather pay more and get MP20.The flow rate is not that different as MP20.

May be I will wait for MP5 coming out in 2010. :D

eddiecorrea
I think with the MP10 being so small..its not going to have that really wide type flow..its going to be more a stream type of flow like the typical powerhead

Good point. Didn't think about that much.

I am still experimenting with a MP20 in a 20L. If I mount it on the back of the aquarium, it must be turned down to around 60-70% of full speed to keep the sand in place (12" dimension). However, if placed on one side (more typical installation and needed to generate nice waves in pulse mode) I run at 100% (in reef mode) and need all of the flow to get moderate movement (30" dimension) at the far end of the tank with little to no disturbance of the sand.

The bottom line is a MP10 would be great in a AIO cube less than 20 gallons. But I think you would not get the flow one would expect (for a $195 pump) in a tank over 20 gallons. Actually, it is the distance between the pump and the far wall that is critical.

I would also point out that a single MP20 would be insufficient for a tank much larger/longer than 32 inches, IMO. However, it is perfect for my 20L.

gulfsurfer101
I think what jonrx meant is that you wouldn't have to sell the mp20 to upgrade because the only difference between it and the mp40 is the controller/driver, not the actual motor or pump assembly.

I agree with this. If your goingto get hte dame thing I would imagine it wouldbe chaeaper to upgrade from the mp20 than the ten due to compablilty.

Quick edit to they diy from up above, that guy is the damn $%#@!, it takes and electrical genius damn near engineer to make somehting like that happen. Pretty freakin sweet!

No the Original Second generation of the mp40, The MP40w states on the packaging box:

Flow rate: 300-3200+ GPH.

They basically chopped up the MP40 and made 2 more units out of it. Id say the mp20 is pretty much useless now from a performance factor. Its either mp10 or mp40

The mp20's only saving grace is a lower price for a unit slightly better than the mp10 and not as powerful as a mp40w.

So.... Great job ECOTECH whoever does their marketing is a genius. Why have 1 product do everything when you can make 3 products!

I'm so glad I have my mp40w with the slow speed now!

fastandsneaky

As long as there is the updatability, mp20 is still a viable buy, but for those who know that they won't go over 30 or so gallons, the mp10 is def the best buy. But everyone knows how addicting it is to upgrade to a bigger tank.

I am still experimenting with a MP20 in a 20L. If I mount it on the back of the aquarium, it must be turned down to around 60-70% of full speed to keep the sand in place (12" dimension). However, if placed on one side (more typical installation and needed to generate nice waves in pulse mode) I run at 100% (in reef mode) and need all of the flow to get moderate movement (30" dimension) at the far end of the tank with little to no disturbance of the sand.

The bottom line is a MP10 would be great in a AIO cube less than 20 gallons. But I think you would not get the flow one would expect (for a $195 pump) in a tank over 20 gallons. Actually, it is the distance between the pump and the far wall that is critical.

I would also point out that a single MP20 would be insufficient for a tank much larger/longer than 32 inches, IMO. However, it is perfect for my 20L.

Hmm this makes me rethink and maybe still want to go with the mp20

psykobowler

The MP20 do not become useless if you have more than one tank below 40 gallons. Just because you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank later does not make the MP20 an inferior product. I am leaving it in a 30 cube which I know will be more than enough to handle sps. Remember, most of us have more than one tank so you may end up buying MP40s for the bigger tank and placing the MP20 in your smaller tank.

Even the koralias have their place if you upgrade to a vortech - it does not go obsolete. I recall seeing a couple of koralias aimed behind the rockwork along with a vortech to generate the general flow.

fastandsneaky
The MP20 do not become useless if you have more than one tank below 40 gallons. Just because you plan to upgrade to a bigger tank later does not make the MP20 an inferior product.

I think people are saying its an advantage because of the upgrade ability.

psykobowler
I think people are saying its an advantage because of the upgrade ability.

Yup, I know. But I am saying you do not need to pay an additional $150 to upgrade. Just use it in a tank that it is meant for and get the real MP40 when it is needed on a bigger tank.

i dont get why people are saying that if you have a tank below 20 or 30 gallons that its better to get the mp20 when the flow is almost the same..the top end is only like 500gph less than the mp20..but 1500 and something is still enough for a tank 40 and under along with other powerheads

Did that ad say that the ideal tank range started at 2.5 gallons? Someone please make a pico with this and use that flow to grow a pretzel-shaped efflo or something ridiculous.

Just sayin.

i dont get why people are saying that if you have a tank below 20 or 30 gallons that its better to get the mp20 when the flow is almost the same..the top end is only like 500gph less than the mp20..but 1500 and something is still enough for a tank 40 and under along with other powerheads

it really depends, you're talking about a wide angle of flow instead of a direct dream of flow, 1500gph in a stream will definitely be enough for 40 gallons, but in a wide angle, it would be close

Do you think 2 of these would work on a 40b? One on the back right side and the other on the front left side. Would it be enough flow to reach the end? I am excited about these new pumps. I was going to do a closed loop for a clean look but I think this will be much better.

Do you think 2 of these would work on a 40b? One on the back right side and the other on the front left side. Would it be enough flow to reach the end? I am excited about these new pumps. I was going to do a closed loop for a clean look but I think this will be much better.

I think you'd be better off just getting one MP40w for = $$$.

Archived