SaltCritters.com

Vortech MP10

eddiecorrea

So I'm brand new to the hobby - still gathering up knowledge and equipment to start my first tank.

What's the chief advantage of the MP10 vs. something (that I think would be) comparable and much cheaper, like the koralia nano?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that looked different. Wasn't sure though cause I don't have one. The people who just did the Group Buy got screwed. Sucks for them thats for sure.

how did anyone in the group buy get screwed? This thing would be to small for any tank bigger then 20g..it would be perfect for someone wanting to use it to supplement their MP20 or MP40 without having to spend as much..I think $150 woulda been a better selling price for this.

spectrum82586

the mp10 has different flow settings, corals like random flow just as the ocean provides them. The koralina's have one speed and unless you aim them at something to deflect the water in different directions they will just provide laminar flow. Also you don't have to worry about cords being damaged and stray voltages in the water because the vortechs have an external pump component.

mp10 - producing 500 to 1,575 gallons of flow per hour

mp20 - producing 500 to 2,000 gallons of flow per hour

mp40w - producing 1,000 to 3,200 gallons of flow per hour.

so basically go mp10 or mp40w?

mp10 - producing 500 to 1,575 gallons of flow per hour

mp20 - producing 500 to 2,000 gallons of flow per hour

mp40w - producing 1,000 to 3,200 gallons of flow per hour.

so basically go mp10 or mp40w?

Basically ! I wish it was only 150 $ as well ! :rolleyes:

I'm just wondering how small the head is.

That's what she said

how cute.

That's what she said

Also, $195? Still spendy :( But cool nonetheless.

R.I.P. mp20.

While gimmicky, I don't think the wavemaking features for the MP10 wouldn't be of much use on a tank larger than 20 gallons. Also, I'd imagine nano-owners with nano-size fish (Small gobies and whatnot) would want to use the protective cover. This seems to reduce the flow pretty heavily on mine. So the MP20 may still have a niche there for tanks in the 20-40 gallon range that require really strong flow for SPS or something. But it's definitely a much smaller market.

eddiecorrea
how did anyone in the group buy get screwed? This thing would be to small for any tank bigger then 20g..it would be perfect for someone wanting to use it to supplement their MP20 or MP40 without having to spend as much..I think $150 woulda been a better selling price for this.

Because while they didn't say anything the MP40 has been upgraded as well. So therefor those who purchased an MP40 got old technology.

Retail is $195... But GB status will probably be much closer to $150, I'd guess $165-$175 most likely...

That aside, I can't wait to see this badboy in action at MAX this weekend!! :D

fastandsneaky

Can't wait till this comes out. But as for mp20 owners, if they ever decide to upgrade to bigger tanks and need a bigger pump like mp40 they always have that option for only 150 rather than buying a whole new mp40w.

Wow... these pumps are great looking and follow a really good rule... to keep a tank un-cluttered.

Has anyone attempted to DIY a vortech ? I wonder...

Retail is $195... But GB status will probably be much closer to $150, I'd guess $165-$175 most likely...

That aside, I can't wait to see this badboy in action at MAX this weekend!! :D

me either I'll see you at MAX. I wonder if you can put two together like you would a mp40w. i am guessiing no

I think I'll stick to a Koralia Nano for now but I'm interest to see what people have to say about these once they're on the shelves!

this makes some nice possibilities, i think 130 to 150 would be a good price too, do you think it would wirelessly link to a MP40?

Wow... these pumps are great looking and follow a really good rule... to keep a tank un-cluttered.

Has anyone attempted to DIY a vortech ? I wonder...

Yes it was somewhat popular and then I haven't seen the thread around for awhile. I guess he didn't finish it ! Search the diy forum ! ;)

i was saving up for the mp20, but i'm definitely getting this :D Thanks for the post, just made my day

The only problem is that I don't believe this one is upgradeable to the MP40.

At least it doesn't look like it.

That's the really good thing about the MP20. Upgradable for pretty much the same cost difference to the MP40W.

The only problem is that I don't believe this one is upgradeable to the MP40.

At least it doesn't look like it.

That's the really good thing about the MP20. Upgradable for pretty much the same cost difference to the MP40W.

But if you're staying with a small tank, the mp10 is still a viable option. Plus I would believe a person could sell their mp10 at a later time if they see a need to upgrade!

fastandsneaky

If the mp10 does 500-1575gph and the mp20 does 500-2000gph, doesn't make it the same if you set the settings on the lowest? I know the footprint of the mp10 is smaller, but how does it make it more "ideal" for nanos? But with the 1.5 long 2.5 diameter, this thing is gonna rock.

I think with the MP10 being so small..its not going to have that really wide type flow..its going to be more a stream type of flow like the typical powerhead

lakshwadeep
But if you're staying with a small tank, the mp10 is still a viable option. Plus I would believe a person could sell their mp10 at a later time if they see a need to upgrade!

I think what jonrx meant is that you wouldn't have to sell the mp20 to upgrade because the only difference between it and the mp40 is the controller/driver, not the actual motor or pump assembly.

Archived