Cultivated Reef

BC8...fish jumped, new direction

ihatesears18

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm waiting on a media basket too!

the tank looks great, if only i could just let things grow and QUIT SPENDIN ALL MY MONEY!

alas, reef-dom.

btw your zoa collection is SWEEET.

i'm waiting on a media basket too!

the tank looks great, if only i could just let things grow and QUIT SPENDIN ALL MY MONEY!

alas, reef-dom.

btw your zoa collection is SWEEET.

Thanks for the kind words! I haven't bought any coral for this tank in months, I need to do some fragging, trimming, etc. I'd really like to get some LPS in there, but the BC8 footprint is limiting.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice Biocube. You have a lot of the same corals I plan on adding, just started a 29 a few weeks ago. I'm also in Jacksonville. Which LFS do you get your stuff from?

Nice Biocube. You have a lot of the same corals I plan on adding, just started a 29 a few weeks ago. I'm also in Jacksonville. Which LFS do you get your stuff from?

Well, since I live near the West Side I usually go to Jolly's or Reef Fanatics. Bio-reef is quite a drive but they are the best IMO. They have a huge selection and fair prices.

• 2 months later...
ihatesears18

Thanks for the kind words! The tank looks a little depressing, I stole most of the mushrooms and a couple of zoas from it. The YWG is doing great, but still has absolutely no interest in the pistol. Also my damn GSP is overtaking my zoas, which will be dealt with during my next water change....Anyways, here's some new pics.

DSC02427.jpg

DSC02430.jpg

DSC02431.jpg

DSC02432.jpg

Updated FTS

DSC02429.jpg

And for fun, my crown-tail Betta in his Fluval Edge mansion (must.get.tripod)

DSC02439.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
ihatesears18

damn GSP is killing my nice red zoas...time to rip some out at the next water change

oh and thanks for the comment. I'd probably have more if i dosed calcium, but since there's only softies in there I don't feel the need to.

I see that you are running a koralia nano in your setup. Are you happy with it and do you notice it helping much? Also are you running the stock pump or have you upgraded it? Just curios as I might be purchasing a nano powerhead for my bc8.

ihatesears18

I like the nano, it helps keep detritus from settling too much. It's proably overkill for softies but my rock work creates dead spots if I were only running a pump in the rear chamber. I upgraded the stock pump to a mini jet 600 and am running a media basket from StevieT. Oh and :welcome: to nano-reef :)

Thanks for the welcoming, and ya I have the same setup as you with the media basket and minijet 600 with a deflector connected to it. I have a pretty big dead spot on the right side of the take and having some slime algae problems so was looking at the nano series to create a little more flow. I was kinda skeptical about it for the reason like you said "overkill". But I'm sure if positioned safely the corals will get used to it.

ihatesears18

yeah I aim it a little towards the surface to create agitation and to slow down the flow a little. You can also trim the impeller (just take it easy and don't cut off a bunch) if the flow is too great. Oh and START A TANK THREAD!!

Ya I think I'm gonna start a thread up this weekend when I have some time to work on it and do some pictures :happydance: . But much appreciated on the advice. I think I will purchase it and give it a try.

• 6 months later...

What happened to Sparky? After having two firefish jump out of my other tank I thought it might be a good fish for my BC8 since it has a full lid. Is this not the case?

What happened to Sparky? After having two firefish jump out of my other tank I thought it might be a good fish for my BC8 since it has a full lid. Is this not the case?

My tank runs hot with the lid shut. I had it cracked just a hair and it was enough for him to go carpet surfing :(

• 2 years later...
ihatesears18

so a long over due update:

heater got stuck on and killed everything except the goby. he's still living happily in his tiny piece of ocean.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ihatesears18

Wow. Any plans for recovery?

Ok so update time:

Algae went sexual prompting me to do my 1st water change in probably 2 years. Tank is looking good, took the top off of the biocube and put my 24" t5 over it. It looks goofy but the tank is upstairs and is really just for my amusement. I bought an ATI Aquablue special and am trying to find an ATI blue plus to go with it. With the tank being cleaned up with better lighting I finally bought some coral again.

Starsky right after the algae went sexual

image_zps8285008f.jpg

Clavularia under new lighting

http://s34.photobucket.com/user/ihatesears18/media/image_zps10aca32a.jpg.html'>image_zps10aca32a.jpg

Hammer

image_zpsa2f9f6da.jpg

FTS coming soon, i'll probably snap one at lunch

ihatesears18

Ok so i found an ATI blue plus at Coral Logic (new to me, probably now my favorite).

image_zps54e3d952.jpg

They also have a very impressive frag collection for sale. I picked up some nice red and green zoas for $10. I'll post a pic after it opens up.

ihatesears18

Did some rearranging, found a bunch of tiny anemones. New FTS

image_zps59ebc8b3.jpg

Neat pic of the new additions

image_zps65d52142.jpg

Archived