SaltCritters.com

Electric flame scallop

tryn2makeit

tryn2makeit

i was at my lfs yesterday and ran across an electric flame scallop. does anyone have one of these? what are the requirements for these guys. will they be safe with a clown fish? how do you care for them? will they be harmed by crabs? i want one but i want to make sure it will be safe in the tank.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dont get it. They dont live very long in aquariums.

+1

Learn from my mistake. I got one and it immediately pushed itself so deep into the LR that I couldn't even see it let alone get to it without tearing my whole tank apart. I never saw it again until I upgraded tanks and found it's empty shells in the sand. I left them there as a reminder of my stupidity.

i was at my lfs yesterday and ran across an electric flame scallop. does anyone have one of these? what are the requirements for these guys. will they be safe with a clown fish? how do you care for them? will they be harmed by crabs? i want one but i want to make sure it will be safe in the tank.

They are filter feeders. They can't be supported by the limited amount of nutrients suspended in a nano.

They can't be supported by the limited amount of nutrients suspended in a nano.

That statement seems a bit to definitive.

It seems that if a person were to feed a lot of suspended foods they might do fine.

This does not seem like a good beginner organism. It is likely to need care that modifies the system function of the tank as a whole.

GET IT

NO

They are nearly impossible to keep. Not saying that it hasn't been done before, but it's definitely not worth attempting, especially by a beginner. Do more research on the subject and you'll find out how difficult they are.

That statement seems a bit to definitive.

It seems that if a person were to feed a lot of suspended foods they might do fine.

This does not seem like a good beginner organism. It is likely to need care that modifies the system function of the tank as a whole.

Your right. That was too difinitive. They will not do well in a typical nano. They need heavy supplimental feeding not conducive to a stable nano reef.

You can have them in a species specific tank that you will have to throw allot of 50 nm (if I remember correctly) sized plankton into for them. This means running a very very dirty tank. In a typical reef tank you cannot have one of these due to the high level of contamination from the feeding.

So basically,

carbon-mantis

The only system I've personally seen these thrive in was a one hundred and twenty five-ish gallon reef tank (not mine) that had a very deep sand bed crawling with life and only a few clown fish. Even at the LFS they've stopped ordering them, save for special requests, because if they're not sold they usually get sickly or die in a few weeks...

Mike Maddox

The fact of the matter is, we know that they're filter feeders, but I'm not sure if we know what it is they filter feed *on*. (I could be wrong now, it's been a few years since I did some research on the subject). They may live in an aquarium for a year, as they slowly starve, but almost none make it past a year. Marine invertebrates often die slowly in captivity: they may have 90% of their carbon requirements met per day, but that just means it will take a long time for them to perish. I'll quote Anthony Calfo on this one: "there is no reason to purchase a flame scallop, with their dismal record in captivity and our profound lack of knowledge on their husbandry requirements".

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to try one, with sellfish diet and ultra clam in my non-photo tank.

Go for it, i have had one for a while and its great!

It loves PhytoPheast and basically everything i toss in my tank!

Go for it, i have had one for a while and its great!

It loves PhytoPheast and basically everything i toss in my tank!

lol you think its eating............Give bit more and it will be done for.

lol you think its eating............Give bit more and it will be done for.

Funny i have had it for 6 months and its doing Great!

Exactly, it can easily take it that long to slowly starve without showing any signs.

Come back with a 2+ year success story.

slashxBoard
Exactly, it can easily take it that long to slowly starve without showing any signs.

Come back with a 2+ year success story.

you = downer

keep rockin it coop. B)

you = downer

keep rockin it coop. B)

Daemonfly is not being a 'downer', he's being realistic.

Dr. Cooper can do whatever he wants, but it is bad form to suggest that a beginner follow his lead and disregard all other (good) advice that has been given.

slashxBoard
Daemonfly is not being a 'downer', he's being realistic.

Dr. Cooper can do whatever he wants, but it is bad form to suggest that a beginner follow his lead and disregard all other (good) advice that has been given.

no, the nature of his wording speaks for itself. this is a site for encouragement and learning, people do things different ways, and if you disagree, make your suggestions. but to say it is "slowly starving" is a downer, either way. there is way too much hostility on this site.

waboosh.

Archived