Top Shelf Aquatics

Cleaner Clams

Nashman

I was just wondering if I was the only one to keep cleaner clams in a fuge? I have 3 .69 cent cherry stone clams from the local fresh fish market. I got them fresh off the Ice bed :o They have been with me now for two months and still going strong. They are open most of the time and just filter feeding away B)

eddiecorrea
Most likely gonna die a slow starvation-related death, imo.

Wrong. I had some in my 10gallon nano for over 2 years. I actually took them out and threw them away(ya I know horrible. But had no where to put them) because they took up room I wanted to use for corals when I took that plunge.

Oh and I paid like $2 a piece lol. I live in Montana. Kinda landlocked.

They remove nitrates,,, and look ugly LOL :P and if I get sick of them taking up space I'll just eat um B)

well your supposed to eat them. i rather stick with flame scallop.

well your supposed to eat them. i rather stick with flame scallop.

.69 cents apposed to 8.99,,, :bling: when there just living in a sump with a job to do?

Well, the good thing about situations like this, even if they DO die, you gave them another few months of being pampered before kicking the bucket. So. I've never heard of these before, are they a temperate species orrr?

Well, the good thing about situations like this, even if they DO die, you gave them another few months of being pampered before kicking the bucket. So. I've never heard of these before, are they a temperate species orrr?

Good question ,,,, I would tend to think they like the cold but who knows :huh: they do look just like this though. clams

johnmaloney
Most likely gonna die a slow starvation-related death, imo.

+1. They really foul up sand beds too when they die. Just get a live clam (little neck/ cherry stone) at your grocery store if you want to go that route, same thing as the one they are selling, If you treat them more as a pet rather than a cleaner you should get better results, remember to target feed them, etc... Dissolved food in water shot through a baster works.

Archived