Top Shelf Aquatics

New Maxima Clam turned around backwards?

splitskater

splitskater

i just got a maxima clam 2 days ago and i placed it on the rocks where i liked and he attatched within hours, when i woke up this morning it was it the same spot but spun itself around 180 degrees so the back of it is facing the front of the tank now. i am not to happy because now i cant see much of his mantle. how can i spin him back around when his foot is down, can i coax him somehow into picking his foot up so i can spin him, or do i just have to live with it? i cant actually see his bysall gland and i know if his gland gets damaged it could be be fatal , but i need to get him facing foward, so any advice would be appreciated.

it's the light....... it points itself in the direction where it'll get the most light.... even if you turn the rock around it'll rotate back. Put it where it can get direct lighting and it will stay.

splitskater
Oh don't you hate that :o:angry: . Simple solution would be to rotate the rock it's on...can you do that?

i dont think i will be able to, i will have to move several rocks the are supported by the rock the clam is attatched to, maybe i will try that as an absolute last possible resort.

I wouldn't try to move something just to fit your needs. In the end any invert that can move will do so to make itself happier.

splitskater
it's the light....... it points itself in the direction where it'll get the most light.... even if you turn the rock around it'll rotate back. Put it where it can get direct lighting and it will stay.

it doesnt seem like it is getting anymore light than it was before the light is directly over him, it stayed in the same spot just rotated he is sitting perfectly level

splitskater
I wouldn't try to move something just to fit your needs. In the end any invert that can move will do so to make itself happier.

i knew that it would move until he was happy, but i am not happy looking at the back of him while his nice mantle is facing the back wall, this is not acceptable i need to it to face foward just like everybody else would and seems to accomplish

i knew that it would move until he was happy, but i am not happy looking at the back of him while his nice mantle is facing the back wall, this is not acceptable i need to it to face foward just like everybody else would and seems to accomplish

Apparently your needs and it's needs aren't the same.

Scott Riemer

Turn the tank around. Nah, just kidding.

You can try pointing a powerhead at the foot and trying to gently remove it and replace it, but it might just turn itself around again.

splitskater
Turn the tank around. Nah, just kidding.

You can try pointing a powerhead at the foot and trying to gently remove it and replace it, but it might just turn itself around again.

i think i will try that and find another spot to put him, if he unattatches

+1

Apparently your needs and it's needs aren't the same.

And some times thems the breaks ! ;)

HecticDialectics

:lol: @ the people suggesting its just tough luck

If you can get it detached safely, just try a different spot. Obviously the clam didn't tour the entire aquarium. It just prefers to be turned around in that one spot.

splitskater
+1

And some times thems the breaks ! ;)

wow, i am having a hard time believing any of you would be happy if you couldnt see your clams mantle, and a least try to find a spot where he and you would be happy!

I wouldn't, you are right . I would be more happy that he/she is happy and thriving. Obviously you don't plan on having the clam short term. So give it some time he/she will come around . If after awhile your clam hasn't moved to your liking then you can move it. The most important thing first off is to get it acclimated and stable to your tank. That dosn't include moving it multiple times right off the bat. These are truly wonderful and amazing animals. Don't stress about it too much. Like I said first clams happiness. Second yours. Good luck! Keep us posted !

splitskater
I wouldn't, you are right . I would be more happy that he/she is happy and thriving. Obviously you don't plan on having the clam short term. So give it some time he/she will come around . If after awhile your clam hasn't moved to your liking then you can move it. The most important thing first off is to get it acclimated and stable to your tank. That dosn't include moving it multiple times right off the bat. These are truly wonderful and amazing animals. Don't stress about it too much. Like I said first clams happiness. Second yours. Good luck! Keep us posted !

thanks, very well put, and very understandable, i love maximas there are amazing and thats why i want to see it, but you are right i will slow down and wait a while.

My crocea also did this. Luckily, it turned around but if your doesn't, then look at it from above because thats where you see its true colors, same goes with corals.

splitskater
My crocea also did this. Luckily, it turned around but if your doesn't, then look at it from above because thats where you see its true colors, same goes with corals.

yea i was suprised about the color difference between looking straight which like brown and on top its bright blue. hopefully mine turns around, it seemed to move a little bit last night so i will keep my eye on him

splitskater
You can make suggestions- but ultimately the clam will chose which way it wants to be.

true true he is moving a little bit everyday, so time will tell where he will be

Archived