Innovative Marine Aquariums

Clam in 10 gallon

fowlrman27

fw2sw-wannabe

derasa will outgrow the tank, literally. While yours might not grow to 20 inches, it could get close to that. You wouldn't have any room for live rock! ;)

I haven't bought the light yet and i have a really good deal at my lfs for one a current usa 130w for 70 now yesterday it was 80 and it comes with a 50/50 bulb a daylight and a actinc they are extra the lgith is worth liek 200.

Personally I say no clam with those lights and that tank. And I would save your money and get a solid T5 or MH light, you would upgrade in a few months anyway if you got the PC's

Personally I say no clam with those lights and that tank. And I would save your money and get a solid T5 or MH light, you would upgrade in a few months anyway if you got the PC's

i agree

TheGrimReefer

I keep my little guy in a 12 gallon with two 36 watt flo's one daytime and one antic. it seems to be doing fine in the 4 months ive had it.

FishTankLookingGood012-1.jpg

Alright any suggestion for a light my budget for a light was 100 i don't seeing myself paying anymore for a light i can live without a clam. I mainly wanted lps and ricordeas and zoas.

Alright any suggestion for a light my budget for a light was 100 i don't seeing myself paying anymore for a light i can live without a clam. I mainly wanted lps and ricordeas and zoas.

try fishneedit.com

or aquatraders have good deals

AquariKeeper
Would a 4x24 t5 from aquatraders work if so does it have a switch for actinc and one for daylight.

Standard Ten gallons are 20" long so you'd have two" spill over on both sides

Get a 20" fixture...not much in the way of t-5's for 10g's but you could def do a mh pendant or a diy led setup

Grim, I don't have any experience with clams, but 4 months is definitely not a long enough period to say whether or not its doing "fine". Especially not enough to give advice to someone else.

As for the light, although most people don't listen to everyone else when they say "go straight to MH or T5", almost everyone upgrades down the line. Clams can be a difficult thing to keep. IMO, it's our responsibility to provide the best care we can to our creatures, and PC's are not it for clams. I'm not sure what % of their energy they get from filter feeding and what % comes from light, but I believe that they do not become photosynthetic until 3" or so.....but that could be complete bull...

lakshwadeep

I also wasted money on a 130W PC fixture before getting T5s. Clams can be kept closely under PCs, but it is much safer, and healthier for the clam, to get strong lighting from the beginning.

As of now i finally found a decnt priced good halide with acincs thats not a ######ty aquatraders or fishneedit it is a current usa sundial metal halide for 229.99 with actincs this should work correct.

As of now i finally found a decnt priced good halide with acincs thats not a ######ty aquatraders or fishneedit it is a current usa sundial metal halide for 229.99 with actincs this should work correct.

dont say anything unless you've owned one :P i have one but its a mh fixture and it pawns! dont listen to rumors all the time :P and if anything only downside of the fixture is the ballast buy mine is pulling out a pure white with a tint of blue.

I am getting a 130w power compact light can i keep a dersa in this tank. Or another type of clam.

Since no one seems to have addressed this directly...

Yes, you can keep a derasa or squamosa clam under PC lights in a shallow tank. And you can keep a maxima as well. However it may or may not thrive or for that matter survive depending on the individual clam.

There are some things that you will need to be aware of having a clam in that size tank...

They will drain Ca and CaCO3 very quickly depending on their growth rate and size so you will have to monitor that and dose accordingly.

If its anything other than a Derasa/Squamosa you must keep it in the upper 10% of the tank.

Anything, including a Maxima, will grow to 6"+ in about 2 years or so if it is thriving in the tank and depending on the amount of Ca you keep in there so be prepared for it to get big.

It will help with denitrification as clams make good natural nitrate filters but this does not mean that you don't have to keep up on your water parameters.

Keep an eye on it and if you see it stretching its mantle move it closer to the light.

Archived