Innovative Marine Aquariums

Crocea Issues

BumbleBeeJBG

BumbleBeeJBG

IMG_9632.jpg

So my clam has been sliming up since day one. I've had him for about 6 months now and I'm wondering why he does this. Anyone have any ideas from this picture? How should I go about trying to figure out what's up with this guy?

He's in a 24g Nanocube DX under 150w MH Phoenix 14k. He has plenty of flow, but not so much where he's getting blown around. Tank mates include a CUC of Nasirus, turbo and black snails + 5 red legged and 5 blue legged hermits, 1 clown & 1 6-line.

Params are all in line, no Ammonia, Nitrite or even measurable Nitrates.

BumbleBeeJBG

Would vermitids live only on the shell and no where else in the tank? I don't have a slime problem anywhere else... how would I check for this?

Also there are 2 feather dusters that call the shell home, if that matters any.

TheGrimReefer

my clam was looking unhealthy when i got it too, i started dosing lquid calcium everyother day and it seemed to help him out, im not a clam expert or anything but maby you should give this a try, couldent hurt right?

uh don't dose what you cannot measure.

I would first check what the calcium/alk/ph are then dose two part accordingly.

BumbleBeeJBG

My calcium is fine but thanks for the suggestion!

As for tracing them back, it appears it's just coming from the mane of the clam.

reefman225gal
My calcium is fine but thanks for the suggestion!

As for tracing them back, it appears it's just coming from the mane of the clam.

Well.. there is a few things that can cause the clear mucus like stuff, so the only thing I can offer now is your gonna have to do some more investigating. Sorry bee.

I remember reading on another thread you started that you were having extreme parameter issues? I.e algae break outs stuff dying that rabbitfish. How long has it been since you corrected these things? Have you cleared up your source water for sw batching? And what salt mix do you use again? Hth.

Matt

BumbleBeeJBG
I remember reading on another thread you started that you were having extreme parameter issues? I.e algae break outs stuff dying that rabbitfish. How long has it been since you corrected these things? Have you cleared up your source water for sw batching? And what salt mix do you use again? Hth.

Matt

That stuff has been clerared up for over a month, it was never a parameter issue but I was having some Diatom problems which I beleive was correct largely because of issues with flow. I use Tropical Marin salt and RO/DI salt. It appears these were seperate issues that didn't effect each other.

BumbleBeeJBG
Do you run a skimmer? And what else do you still have in the tank?

I just started running a Sapphire skimmer but have been skimmerless for about a month because my last broke. What do you mean, "What do you still have the in the tank?" do you mean stock-wise? Pest-wise?

bubbles3660
Not making any progress on this!

It does look like a vermetid snot-string. But these wouldn't grow from the mantle. Is it possible that the mantle is just slicing off the strings when it expands and contracts? Any chance of another picture of the shell itself with the mantle retracted?

Other possibilities:

A protozoan (Perkinsus?) in the mantle is causing the clam to release a defensive slime. But I think your clam would be showing more signs of stress if this were the case. And your nassarius would start to show an interest. Never a good sign.

Some sort of irritant in the shell?

Excessive slime as a byproduct of healthy shell creation? The mantle looks healthy. It isn't gaping. Does it retract quickly when you do a shadow test? Is there a clean white band of new shell material at the shell's margins? Or is it green?

--bubbles

Archived