Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

805fish

Everything is running well but as for the clam its mouth seems open big. I dug a rock under the sand and placed him on the sand with the rock under. He did attach and is holding on to it. Here is a pic and just wanna know if he is doing ok. Paramets are all great. Lighting is new 20k 150 W DE Ushios. Should i move him up mid level?

100_0927.jpg

100_0928.jpg

100_0938.jpg

im not sure if you need to move it.. do you feed it at all?

Well i just bought it today so not yet but i do plan on feeding it

You clam is fine, and no it's not gaping. You can move it up onto the rocks. As its common name indicates, these clams burrow into rocks and coral heads, and that's how you will find them in the wild deeply embedded with only the top edges of the shell and mantle visible. AS for feeding read this.

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/tridacnid...ruth-t3482.html

So It would be ok lets say if i move up the clam today? Because i was toled by my co worker (owner of the store) that i should give it a week on sand bed and then move it slowy. But then i read online that they dont like getting moved around so much

reefman225gal
So It would be ok lets say if i move up the clam today? Because i was toled by my co worker (owner of the store) that i should give it a week on sand bed and then move it slowy. But then i read online that they dont like getting moved around so much

IMO Clams should be placed in a good spot the first time and left in place!!! You don't want to keep moving it as this will just add stress.

Edit: I would move it today, but make sure its in a good spot and leave it there.

IMO Clams should be placed in a good spot the first time and left in place!!! You don't want to keep moving it as this will just add stress.

Edit: I would move it today, but make sure its in a good spot and leave it there.

Yea its what i had read about. But ok will do. Will move him today. But probably just leave him in the sand bed till i buy more rock so i can re aquascape for final time, and then move him. Because it would be hard to do all that with him on a rock.

I would do what your LFS suggested and wait a week or so to let him get adjusted. Then I would move him up. Very nice clam, BTW! ;)

reefman225gal
I would do what your LFS suggested and wait a week or so to let him get adjusted. Then I would move him up. Very nice clam, BTW! ;)

Why let it get adjusted then disturb it again?

Go ahead and move him up. If it's too much light he will jump down. Mine (a maxima) jumped down the first night, so I put it on the sandbed, then after a few days it jumped up the rockwork to a nice little spot, so, at least in my experience, they will find their own spot.

reefman225gal
Go ahead and move him up. If it's too much light he will jump down. Mine (a maxima) jumped down the first night, so I put it on the sandbed, then after a few days it jumped up the rockwork to a nice little spot, so, at least in my experience, they will find their own spot.

You have a magic clam. :P

reefman225gal
Thanks all. The clam is amazing. Opens up so much and loves that spot. Idk about it hoping tough lol

Glad to hear its doing well. :)

Archived