Cultivated Reef

Sorry.... lots of clam questions!

sarah_nick

Hi,

I have had my new 33 gallon running for about 6 weeks now (have had an 8 gallon for about 7-8 months) and am thinking that when my 33 gallon gets to around 8 months I will add a clam..... all dependant on your answers though!

I have done a bit of reading (but have found no sticky) around the lighting requirements for clams.

I have an ORCA 550, with standard lighting. Which is High output power compact, 2x 24 watt T5 bubs (2 white and 2 blue). The reflector is one large one across all bulbs.

Happy (obviously) to dose whatever I need to to make sure he / she is happy :)

Below is a picture of my tank - I am thinking I would save a space for the clam above the toadstool on the left near the top (unless anyone can suggest a better spot if at all?).

I see there are also different types of clams - a crocea seems quite popular. But again I have to ask would this be ok?

Sorry for all the questions - just want to make sure whether my tank is suitable of not for a clam as don't want to risk killing something!

DSCF1356.jpg

BKtomodachi

I wouldn't feel comfortable with a clam with that lighting. The only ones that might be OK would need to be very close to the light- but they tend to get enormous and prefer to be on the sand bed.

Just researching lots of sites.... found several comments which say:

"For standard sized and shallow tanks you will be able to keep these with power compacts with multiple bulbs. For deeper tanks (those greater than 24 inches deep) you'll need HO, VHO or even better, Metal Halides."

Seems to suggest my lighting will be ok?

Plus they also need a more mature tank, longer than the 6 weeks your tank has been set-up.

Thanks - if you read my thread again you will see I was asking about adding one at 8 months though :)

Good info.

Archived