SaltCritters.com

clam moving around

mattie

I have a squasmo clam about 2 weeks now and he almost allways open all the way but will ocasionally close fast and pump water out and blow the sand around which seems fine but I'm noticing that he is leaning one direction one day and the oppisite direction the next. I'm asuming it's normal activity I just have not heard of it and was curious from those who have sim clams. I assume he is try to dig down in the sand or trying to attach himself but i'm wondering if he is trying to move

he is about 3+inch

Tank size? Lighting? Clam Placement?

The Clam may be moving attempting to get more light. do you have any direct sunlight hitting the Tank? They will burrow in the sand and attach to the Glass bottom, Which is also an option.

Clams will usually spew like that if they get sand in their gills. Do you have it in high flow, or have southdown, oolite or another type of fine sand?

The clam may not be 100% happy with where he is so its trying to move. Does it look like its getting too much flow?

They do tend to "purge" every now and then or if something irritates them but doing it constantly is more of a sign that somethings wrong. Try moving it to another spot in the tank to see how it does. Also when you place it on the sand slightly wedge it into the sand, for a better hold.

BTW sometimes they just blow the sand away from the edges so they can fully expand so you still may see it "purge" from time to time

20h

2 65w pc's 10k and atnic

sugar sized agranite

2 175gph ph running on a wave maker

and @50 gph on the fuge

it is in a place were the flow seems strong on one cycle of the timer but not direct flow

the clam does NOT open and close constatanly but I am noticing that he is doing this every day and that fact he will lean a differnt direction each morning is odd?

hes on the bottom nearly 8 inchs from the side and about 3 inch from the front under the light

I've been watching him and he just sits there and some little poopy things come out every now and then, similiar to what comes out of the feather duster

I'm going to hope this is normal and healthy activity I just tested the water and every thing was great so I'm hoping it's not the fine sand bed.

May be more of a current issue than lighting. Is it in a spot where it gets constant flow reflected off the front glass from a powerhead or return?

Any amount of Direct flow should be avoided. That is plenty of light for a Squami. If he is doing it every day it is most likely because he is getting sand in his "inlet". Try to point the spraybars towards the water surface and decrease the flow around him. I would say that he is trying to get situated and attach, but in the process move away from the flow. I have two 300GHP powerheads and a 100GPH for my fuge on my 20 and I just point them up so the Clams don't get blasted. I have noticed my squami likes to spew more than mt Derasa. The poop strings are just that, waste. He could be expelling more because his gills are irritated (guess?).

A smaller Squamosa may have this problem, but one over 3" should be fine. they have larger gills and can pass sand easier than say a Maxima. I would just keep an eye out and make sure he is not directly in the flow

today I moved him an inch and adjusted the powerhead alittle so the deflection off the glass doesn't blow on him. he started spewing after I moved him and moved some other stuff around but I checked on him about an hour later and he was open all the way and hopefully the flow was the cause of the trouble

thanks alot I would have never thought of the flow:)

It's funny how a little thing like flow can do so much. I noticed better polyp extension and growth on some of my stonies, just by "blasting" a bit with more flow.

Check the clam for any parisite snails. Anywhere there is tissue exsposed there can be tiny snails diging in and eating at the clam.

I noticed my clam moveing more and more then I took a look and found a few on my squamosa's foot.

the clams clean today i did a water change and I switched from instant ocean to reef crystals both by aquarium systems cause the reef c brand say's increased calcium. and one hour later the clam is like wider than I've ever seen and almost looks swollen like he instantly grew 1/4 an inch WOW:)

i know he didn't

but he looks great all of a sudden even alittle brighter green

I know they like elevated calc but wow

• 2 weeks later...

Why would you go from a fairly useable salt to one that just as equaly fn' sux ?

Reefcrystals ?

never again will I use it.

see Aquacraft.net comparison ;)

FWIW, change is good, but steps in the RIGHT Direction next time ;)

good to see the clam is happy. They tend to lean anyways.

Archived