inTank Media Baskets

Making a TEENY TINY recirc skimmer :) .........

The Propagator

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

Man I made 2 sets of flanges and they did NOT turn out the way I had hopped. They are fine to use and look decent but in order for me to get that perfect edge, nice and true to round I think I am going to have to have a shop cut a perfect circle for me out of wood. My jigsaw method looked perfectly true by eye but when you transfer that to acrylic by using it as the guide surface with a flush cut bit every little bump, or un even spot shows in the finished acrylic piece. That and the acrylic that Lowes and HD stock is HOT GARBAGE.

Its super freaking brittle. At 1st I thought it was Lucite mislabeled. Nope. Just garbage acrylic.

I bet Lucite would work better then this sheet though.

So yeah, I think I will either have to buy a circle cutter for the router or jig saw and learn how to master it, or pay a shop to cut them out for me. What I may end up doing is paying GEO or some on to cut a set of flanges to my specs, then use that for my pattern.

Some times you just can't make money with out spending it 1st LOL !

not_sponsored
If I were taking your advice I would be making a cone shaped tea maker out of parts I ordered premade from other skimmer manufacturers.

omgomgomg

What I may end up doing is paying GEO or some on to cut a set of flanges to my specs, then use that for my pattern.
RayWhisperer

I read through all of this thread for that? Ugh! I want 15 minutes of my life back.

Not-sponsored. Please just leave so I don't get a report notice again. ty.

I read through all of this thread for that? Ugh! I want 15 minutes of my life back.

Not-sponsored. Please just leave so I don't get a report notice again. ty.

Gotta agree.

The Propagator

Back on track .................

Here is what I ended up with with the 1st jigs I made.

It's not bad but I want better ya know. To many little imperfections get transferred from the jig for me. Like I said though, I'll have to find some thing close to the OD I want to use that's already perfectly round, or just buy a flange set and use that for my pattern when I want to make more later.

1stflangeset.jpg

1stflangeset2.jpg

You can see them better in this pic. I either went to fast or to slow when routing as well.

And this cheap Lowes Acrylic is just crap to work with.

The plastic is still on. That's why it looks like its all scratched up. Its really not it the plastic covering that's screwed LOL! I did get some chipping though when I drilled. I REALLY need to buy a proper set of zero edge bits made for acrylic.

Keep in mind though this is only the 1st set ! :D 1st try. Now I know exactly what I have to do to make them easier, and MUCH better quality LOL!

The Propagator

Found some great material to use for the gaskets today while I was at Home Depot !

I purchased a 1.5' x 4' section of Oatey PVC shower pan liner for $8.99. Its gray and 40 mill thick.

I imagine I could take any print off of it with "Goof Off" too. I am cutting one out right now.

Pics to come...

bah !!!!!! NEVER MIND. PVC liner = EPIC FAIL as gasket. 2 PVC liner gaskets = fail, and 3 PVC liner gaskets = fail.

Slow leaks. I forgot to take in to account the compressive force it would take to actually get a good seal using it. Can't be done with nylon , and acrylic. :(

No matter, I can use it on another project for the turtle tank.

Anyone have any Ideas other then silicone for the gasket material that can be found at a hard ware store ?

I tried pond liner but all every one had around here was the fiber mesh type coated in resin. It had ridges all over it making it useless to use as gasket material.

In case any one is wondering why in the heck I am trying so many different things.. Its because I am trying all things easy to get at any Hardware store on a regular basis so any one can do it get the materials to use.

It may seem like uncontrolled madness right now but in the end it will pay off for us all because we will all know where to get every thing we need with ease with out having to special order a bunch of crap. :D

The Propagator

Not with out special ordering it. That would defeat the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish unfortunately. I am trying to build an economy skimmer completely out of materials you can find locally save for the pump.

Speaking of !!!! Guess what I discovered today. Modeling glue will bond acrylic and PVC. SOOOoo if you don't have the funds to buy the correct stuff ( IPS Weld-on ) you can use modeling glue found in the toy section next to the models and paint at wally world. It will not produce a nice clear finish, but if all you are worried about is performance versus looks you should be good to go.

So while at wally world today I visited the crafts section looking for some sort of material to use for gaskets. I ran across this stuff for $0.42 a sheet :

Flangegasket5.jpg

Bought some and made a gasket :

Flangegasket4.jpg

Filled it up with water and no runs, no drips, no errors for $0.42 ! :lol: ( talk about feeling stupid ! )

I am leaving it filled over night though to give it a proper test. Who knows it may well soak through over night ?

full.jpg

I also visited Miejers today to see if they had non anti microbial rubber drawer liners and found something I could use sold in larger quantity and a little sturdier. Contact brand, Ultra solid non-adhesive grip liner sold in 18" x 4' rolls for $5.95. You can get it in black or white and its about an 1/8th inch thick rubberized foam. I will be making a gasket from it tonight as well.

Whats cool about both of these is because the flanges are made from clear acrylic you can use any color either of the two products are available in to suit your own taste. The foamie's come in red, black , yellow, neon green, orange.. etc etc etc...

large o-ring?

That would definitely work but then I would have to take a HUGE extra step in making a new jig just to machine an orifice on both halves to accept the o ring. That would be a major PITA with out a CNC operated piece of machinery.

Needreefunds

Perhaps check out local auto part stores for rolls of gasket material. Should have a selection of types- cork, paper, composite ect.

Good stuff D, keep it coming.

The Propagator

No need now. The foamies work. :D

The Contact brand, Ultra solid non-adhesive grip liner does too. :)

The Propagator

3 day test, and no leaks using the foamies as gasket material.

Just make sure to snug them down real good and you're set with a $0.42 gasket :D

Got a pic of your DIY venturi by chance?

Finally got my hands on a camera. (mines broke)

skimmersm.JPG

skimmer2sm.JPG

skimmer_001sm.JPG

I made it with epoxy just like yours, and used a "step" or as I like to call it "Christmas Tree" drill bit.

The skimmer works great, its just not pulling anything now because its in holding tank with already cured LR. not really much for it to pull.

The Propagator

Ha ! Ours look identical :D

I'll post a pic here in a sec..

DO you remember what size the through hole is in the venturi you used ?

Archived