SaltCritters.com

Making a TEENY TINY recirc skimmer :) .........

The Propagator

The Propagator

Dude I told you before I was making it from what I had on hand.

What part of that did you not understand ? The only reason the collection cup is acrylic at this point is because I salvaged a piece from the broken body. It's what I have on hand. As well I told you a couple pages ago I agreed on the acrylic cup versus the PVC. Your ego must be immense. This is where the tool part comes in. You never seem to start off joining the conversation like some one just poking in for a look with constructive criticism.

I had gas earlier and took some gas-X. You wanna lay claim to that one too ? :D

I also made a clear cup a year or two ago on my large skimmer if you would like to take credit for that as well ?

If I were taking your advice I would be making a cone shaped tea maker out of parts I ordered premade from other skimmer manufacturers.

Now please leave things be.

If you want to discuss things like a normal human being your welcome to but leave the prodding ego at the door.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator
You changed your "easy access" flanged lid with thumb screws to a lid that looks exactly like mine?

Dagnabbit dude.

Yeah. Since you are the only one who has ever used such a design in the history of skimmer making I guess I copied you then huh.

Ya busted me. It couldn't possibly have been a choice I made because the diameter of the cup is to narrow for anything but this method or a flange huh?

Yup carbon copying you.

I have a big gay cone in the "oven" right now "forming on a megaphone" as we speak as well.

im suprised the mods haven't hit him with the ban stick for dumping on someone thread... go back to crapcentral

The Propagator

They wont because its me. ( I haven't reported it yet though either.. But my gut says the they wont LOL! )

As long as they leave me to handling it my self with in reason though I don't care.

Atlantis Reef

Make me a mod I will ban him ehehe just joking although I would like to be a mod! HINT HINT CHRIS! How is the power problem coming Prop??

The Propagator

Got new bulbs and a Tripp lite LS604 600 watt 5A line conditioner / surge protector on the way next week.

After your wife told me about the unit they use I though hey .. if she teaches this stuff and gave the good word about that particular company I may as well use them too LOL!

Once again, not meaning to get off track, but my skimmer pump is the original Octopus pump (I think it;\'s an Octopus 3000). How would I find out if it can be run dry?

And I wish I had a banstick for the PITA!!! The one with the acrylic Mr. Coffee....

The Propagator

Made a few patterns/jigs today to make flanges and collection cup lid parts.

As much as I build skimmers to test out I figure I had better go ahead and make a jig so I can make flanges easily instead of the old dremel hand cut method LOL! I still did it by hand though LOL!

I used a jig saw and sand paper. They are still darn near a perfect circles though.

key is just to take your time.

Flange. If you're wondering why the center is not cut out its because I always just glue it in place then route out the center flush with the tube. So ... I only need one jig.

4inchPVCbottomflangejig.jpg

Cup lid part A : Didn't make this. Discovered that the screen that came with the drain fitting I cut up was the perfect size to use as a jig for the lid. I just flipped it over and VIOLA ! even has a handle LOL !

cuplidpartA.jpg

Cup part B: this is the section that gently press fits in to hold the lid on the cup.

Cuplidpartb.jpg

Filled a small section of 1/2" PVC with some Mighty putty.

Anticipating the pump soon ( as soon as a few dead beats pony up the moola they racked up on me that is). Just fill the pipe and press firmly several times to fill. Then let her sit over night to be sure its cured and drill away ! :D

DIYventuri.jpg

I plan on making paterns/jiggs for 4", 6", 8", 10" & 12 for both PVC and acrylic skimmers.

That way no matter how big or how small I want to use next time I will have what I need to make it a breeze LOL !

I may even start selling flanges for DIY projects on eBay ? That's one of the biggies that put off folks from making their own reactors, skimmers etc etc.. actually. I have only found one place on line that sells acrylic flange sets and they want $50.00 for a 4" ID flange kit with no bolts !

I bet I could purchase the acrylic, and the bolts and nuts and be able to keep the selling cost well under $50 per set. Especially given that it will be so easy to do once I get the jigs cut out. Well see how that goes... I may just do that. That's one of those things every DIY'er wishes he could just buy and skip making LOL!

I'll have to figure out a good way to route the center of the flange out though.

EDIT:

I think I just came up with a solution to make a jig for the center cut on the flange.

Simply cut the hole out with the jig saw in the current jig. Then lay it down on a square piece

big enough to handle safely while routing and mark the holes from the 1st jig in the second jig.

Then use some double sided tape to hold them together while I route the center. VIOLA ! solved ! :D

I will have to make another solid jig for the solid flange so I can route it on the table like I want to but it'll work :) If any one can offer a better solution with out having to do twice the work please speak up !

I IZ LAZEH !!! I would appreciate the ideas ;)

( I forgot to mention above that I will be using double sided carpet tape to hold the acrylic to the wood while routing, and I am putting a small handle on each jig to be able to safely use it.)

wat happened to the teeny tiny skimmer O.o?

it should be taller since the skimmate is still a little light. but thats just me =/

the expensive ones at my LFS have dark green skimmate almost looks black.

The Propagator

It was dropped and cracked all the way through it. :(

I agree about the height. The new one is taller ;)

It was dropped and cracked all the way through it. :(

I agree about the height. The new one is taller ;)

OMG he agrees with me!!!

im not a noob anymore!!! :o

The Propagator
awesome epoxy venturi, mine works great. What type of pump are your going to use? and any particular mods on it?

More then likely either a Mag 350 or a Gen-X 2400 needle wheel with mesh mod.

The way $$ is right now probably the Gen X 2400 though LOL!

Got a pic of your DIY venturi by chance?

OMG he agrees with me!!!

im not a noob anymore!!! :o

Aw man I agree with a lot of things you say. I never called you a noob did I ?

If I did then sorry :lol::D

The Propagator

Flange jigs are get'n there :D

Flangejig1.jpg

Flangejig2.jpg

I did exactly how I described before a few posts above save for one thing...

I will not be making an entirely new flange jig with the hole cut out.

The jig I will use is just as shown only the square piece will have the center cut out.

the really cool thing about this is that no matter where you position the flange to the base ( flipped over or not ) the hole swill line up perfectly. How many DIY flanges have you ever seen that weren't machined on a cnc cutter do that ? :D

Anyway, I just laid down the jig already cut out on some double side tape and used my compass to locate each diameter, then each hole location and transferred them to the back side via a small pilot hole I drilled dead on center before I began locating holes. Should turn out very neat I think.

I'll cut it all out and try cutting a flange with it tomorrow afternoon.

I may make an adjustment before I cut the whole out though.

Since folks who are on a shoe string budget and folks who have the money to use acrylic tube will more then likely be interested in these I think I may make the center cut 1/8" smaller in diameter then I have it marked for now. As well as the other jigs I will be making for other diameter tubes. That will allow the flanges to slip over the OD on acrylic and at the same time give the user the choice of using PVC with the same flange by simply laying the flange set on the PVC and lining up the center cut flush with the ID of the PVC before gluing. Essentially making them universal flanges for PVC or acrylic projects.

I like that idea my self.

Couldn't be easier. Slip it over the acrylic and glue, or lay it on the PVC and glue.

What do ya think ?

The Propagator

The AVR will be here shortly actually.

Suppose dto arrive today some time. I'll know if thats the ticket by tonight I reckon ! LOL!

Fromthe symptoms I gave several pro's they think the problem stems from the rapid fluctuation.

Basically even though I am in the 10% nominal tolerance the ballasts are working over time having to regulate so rapidly and heating up. A nice little side effect is that the bulbs are not being driven to full potential.

Thats the theory any ways. Well see :haha:

It has to be really. Its the only thing left ! :D

Archived