Pod Your Reef

Making a TEENY TINY recirc skimmer :) .........

The Propagator

Atlantis Reef
For a substantial donation to my reef hobby I will gladly send you coral :P

If ther eis room in the stand on either side of the sump I can always make it so it can run inline like I have my large skimmer plumbed in with a feed directly from the over flow and the return from the skimmer straight back into the sump. That way you can put it pretty much anywhere you want within reasonable madness. :D

I can put it in the end where the return is but height will be limited due to frag tank above

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

Ok man. I will be gone all morning though till about 1-2 pm then I will have until about 4-5 to pack up a couple orders. I should be able to talk while I pack them up though. Speaker phone rocks ! :P

Keep in mind though that the larger the diameter the acrylic is the more expensive it gets.

8" is pretty expensive right now and 10" is over priced thanks to the oil market being held hostage by OPEC.

The Propagator

Ran a test last night using a 300 gph feed pump and a mag 5.

I gotta say I am liking the mag 5 but will probably use a mag 350.

If it weren't for the feed p[ump being so strong it would rock with a mag 5 OR a 350.

I am running out tomorrow and buying a maxi jet mini to use as the feed pump.

I only want about 2-3 MAX times the volume in flow and I think a mini jet 404 would be ideal actually.

The tank is only 38g ( more like 30-32 actual I suppose ).

The 1st venturi I used was the old hole drilled in the elbow. Good results !

Tomorrow ( after I make it ) I'll use a DIY venturi made with mighty putty and 1/2" PVC.

Then run the Mag 3 ? (I think its a mag 3 on her Aquac ? ) to see how well it does compared to the mag 5.

I got micro bubbles out the yang with the mag 5 but that also had to do with the feed rate.

The Propagator

I got it when I woke up. When I got home I was so tired I crashed HARD and didn't get up but an hour ago LOL! I plan to eat, go to the bath room and post on here then back to BED :D

I hoked up a smaller feed pump last night and tested it just a few minutes ago.

I used a pump off of a POS current fission nano skimmer LOL!

not_sponsored,

Here is your " clean water " test. :P

This is water from my last water change ( last night ).

I tried it as is and got nothing but a teeny tiny bit of skimate because there was nothing to skim.

So I added 2 mil of skimate from the monster and it skimmed every bit plus some out.

clearwatertest.jpg

25milskimmateadded.jpg

A bit to much with the mag 5 I think. The pump on the remora is a mag 5 as well so :( I will have to buy a 250 to test with any way I guess LOL!

tomuchpump.jpg

Larger bubble then I would like but that's because its a stock paddle impeller and the venturi is a 1/4" barbed fitting in a 90 deg elbow before the pump intake LOL!

bodywithmag5andsmallfeedpump.jpg

With just a mesh mod I think the old air line in a 90 venturi trick will work just fine.

I WILL however have to pout a reducer bushing in the 1" return and reduce it from 1" to 3/4".

I used what I have and what I had was 1" and fittings LOL ! I think the pressure of a 1" diameter body of water in that length of tube versus a 3/4" tube is screwing me a little as far as better results. Until I do that I think no matter what I do it will fail to be efficient because of large diameter of the return to tank from the skimmer body. Meh... its an easy fix.

The Propagator

OMG dude.

HOW in the hell is it supposed to skim anything if there s nothing present to skim ?

NO it will not drastically change the way a skimmer performs. Like I said before either it will skim or it wont.

not_sponsored

If it's water change water there will definitely be something to skim.

I've tested skimmers before and yes, it will change the way the skimmer forms foam, even a few drops of concentrated skimmate will have a large impact on the way the skimmer foams.

At this point your skimmer probably still needs to "break in." Why not just let it run for a few weeks and post results then.

I WILL however have to pout a reducer bushing in the 1" return and reduce it from 1" to 3/4".

I used what I have and what I had was 1" and fittings LOL ! I think the pressure of a 1" diameter body of water in that length of tube versus a 3/4" tube is screwing me a little as far as better results. Until I do that I think no matter what I do it will fail to be efficient because of large diameter of the return to tank from the skimmer body. Meh... its an easy fix.

Edit: As far as water pressure, you will have the same water pressure in 3/4" dia return tube or 500" dia return tube. The height of the water column is what determines the back pressure.

The Propagator

Dude I am starting to think you have no idea whats going on here. LOL!

:D But yeah we will just leave it at mine isn't broken in yet. That much is obvious because I just built it two days ago.

"At this point your skimmer probably still needs to "break in." Why not just let it run for a few weeks and post results then."

Because then there would be nothing for you to gripe about obviously.

I was NOT talking about the difference in 5" and .75". I am talking about the difference in 1" and 3/4"

HUGE difference there in pressure for sure at any height.

If it's water change water there will definitely be something to skim.

I've tested skimmers before and yes, it will change the way the skimmer forms foam, even a few drops of concentrated skimmate will have a large impact on the way the skimmer foams.

At this point your skimmer probably still needs to "break in." Why not just let it run for a few weeks and post results then.

Edit: As far as water pressure, you will have the same water pressure in 3/4" dia return tube or 500" dia return tube. The height of the water column is what determines the back pressure.

your a fool if you think you would have the same pressure in a 3/4" hose or a 500" hose

the smaller the hose is reduced to the more water pressure you have

Stupid question I'm sure, but where does water enter the skimmer? I'm probably just missing something. May try my hand at building one of these sometime. My DIY air pump driven skimmer is ok but I want some better performance.

Looking good Prop

Keep on skimming

I'm planning on doing a skimmer comparison between tunze, aqua c ramora, the new eshopps HOB and a ebay airstone driven skimmer. my question is do you think if a i add Hydrolyzed protein (gelatin) to clean water would be a good media for testing skimmer preformance?

Stupid question I'm sure, but where does water enter the skimmer? I'm probably just missing something. May try my hand at building one of these sometime. My DIY air pump driven skimmer is ok but I want some better performance.

this type of skimmer will blow away an air pump driven skimmer... the water is being pumped into the skimmer by a small pump and then it has a second pump that will actually add the microbubbles and.. the idea being that you are controling how long the water is in the skimmer (more time = more disolved organics out).. recirculating skimmers are generally seen in large skimmers which is what makes this one so bad ass

... the water is being pumped into the skimmer by a small pump and then it has a second pump that will actually add the microbubbles

That's what I thought had to happen. I just didn't see the inlet pump in any of the pictures which made me ask the question.

he didnt post a picture but i think he said he is using a microjet 404 or microjet 606... you can also make them be gravity feed from the drain line

not_sponsored
your a fool if you think you would have the same pressure in a 3/4" hose or a 500" hose

the smaller the hose is reduced to the more water pressure you have

We're talking about the standpipe diameter right? That's what I got from "return to tank" I'm just accounting for head pressure which is mainly determined by the height of the stand pipe, there may be additional head pressure added by the size of the pipe but a 1" to 3/4" conversion is insubstantial.

Check here-

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/pressure...ipes-d_404.html

If you're running a current fission feed pump you will probably have less than 120 gph through your skimmer. That means that you will have 0.3 feet of h20 added for every 100 feet of pipe, if you use 3/4" pipe you'll have 1 foot of head for every 100 feet of pipe according to the chart. Considering that your standpipe is about 1 foot (judging from the pictures) that means you already have 1 foot of head pressure, add on to that the friction pipe loss or 0.3/100 for 3/4" pipe and 1/100 for 1" pipe you'll end up with 1.003 and 1.01 feet of head pressure for the corresponding pipes. Which is overall basically the same.

In a 500" hose you'd have basically 0 head loss due to pipe friction. For this purpose we can safely assume that 0.003 ~= 0.

not_sponsored... a word of advice... this is not RC... d-bags aren't respected here... let him make his skimmer the way he wants and stop acting like a know-it-all jerk... clearly he knows what hes doing... he's built skimmers before, and has very nice tanks... people get to the same end result different ways... stop taking a dump on his thread so you feel better about your self... we get it, your the best and you know everything... now go away.

not_sponsored... a word of advice... this is not RC... d-bags aren't respected here... let him make his skimmer the way he wants and stop acting like a know-it-all jerk... clearly he knows what hes doing... he's built skimmers before, and has very nice tanks... people get to the same end result different ways... stop taking a dump on his thread so you feel better about your self... we get it, your the best and you know everything... now go away.

Lol i was trying to be nice about it hahah

The Propagator

There are no stupid questions here :D ( only stupid responses :haha: )

If you look in the upper almost dead center of this photo you will see little black nipple sticking out of the skimmer body. That is where the feed pump is connected that supplies the skimmer with water to be skimmed. The water that enters the skimmer is then sucked up by a second larger pump that mixes the water with air.

clearwatertest.jpg

IMHO you would get better performance out of a traditional style motor driven skimmer then an air driven skimmer and if you decide to build a recirculating skimmer ( like this one ) then you will see even better performance.

uhhh i didnt even respond to any of your other posts douche... but i have been following this thread... get a bigger ego why dont you...

alright enough of me... more mini recirc skimmers... i still havent finished my canabalization of my asm mini g... its got all the plumbing done just no pump...

Archived