Cultivated Reef

help! can't keep astrea snails alive

Jason7504

i already have 5 ceriths and 2 nass snails..i heard that margarita snails are for more temperate tanks..

They are doing fine in my tank. They are always cleaning the rocks, so fi you have algae accumulation on the rocks, that would be best. Dwarf ceriths, again, are awesome for the glass, and nassarius are great for the sand. If you have a good amount of all of them you will be fine. Only other suggestion I have is for a stomatella, as those do basically everything :)

Also, good call on hermits, I dont keep hermits in my tank for exactly that reason :P

Just throwing it out there, if you threw in a couple of small starfishes, they could also take care of algae on the glass. I got an asternia one as a hitchiker, and it is able to clear up a spot of algae on the glass within an hour or so,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would check iodine levels in the tank. High levels of I can kill inverts and doesn’t seem to affect fish nearly as much. Another possibility would be compounds in your sand/rocks leaching into the water.

I would try to pull out a bit of sand and keep it in a container with a bit of water with a pump for a week then testing the water for trace elements and Cu. it probably wont show up since you have algal growth and some inverts already. Another option is to get a sensitive coral (xenia works well and its cheap) and see if it grows. Most will melt in bad water quality. This way you can rule out water Q.

Another possibility would be a bacterium in your water that could be attacking the snails. The best bet with bacteria is just wait it out for a few more weeks, or add a UV.

Waiting being the more sound option.

They are doing fine in my tank. They are always cleaning the rocks, so fi you have algae accumulation on the rocks, that would be best. Dwarf ceriths, again, are awesome for the glass, and nassarius are great for the sand. If you have a good amount of all of them you will be fine. Only other suggestion I have is for a stomatella, as those do basically everything :)

Also, good call on hermits, I dont keep hermits in my tank for exactly that reason :P

Just throwing it out there, if you threw in a couple of small starfishes, they could also take care of algae on the glass. I got an asternia one as a hitchiker, and it is able to clear up a spot of algae on the glass within an hour or so,

my ceriths seem to do more sand cleaning than glass...

I would check iodine levels in the tank. High levels of I can kill inverts and doesn’t seem to affect fish nearly as much. Another possibility would be compounds in your sand/rocks leaching into the water.

I would try to pull out a bit of sand and keep it in a container with a bit of water with a pump for a week then testing the water for trace elements and Cu. it probably wont show up since you have algal growth and some inverts already. Another option is to get a sensitive coral (xenia works well and its cheap) and see if it grows. Most will melt in bad water quality. This way you can rule out water Q.

Another possibility would be a bacterium in your water that could be attacking the snails. The best bet with bacteria is just wait it out for a few more weeks, or add a UV.

Waiting being the more sound option.

i got a frogspawn frago yesterday..it hasn't opened yet but i hope it does..i spent an hr drip acclimating it..i also added chemi pure elite

oh man!! i bought another astrea snail yesterday and drip acclimated it for 45 mins and my nitrates are still 0, phosphates still 0.005 and Cu is 0..this morning its dead! what the heck!! :o

here's the big green algae bloom i need to control..its growing on most of the rocks and its like 3-4in long in some spots :/

thats why i have been buying astreas and turbos to get rid of it..but they keep dying and it keeps growing :/

greenmacroalgaeoutbreakinmytank.jpg

just pull it off. thats what my friend did to his hair algae and it is now gone

thats what i was thinking..but wouldnt that cause it too spread or something?

oh man no wonder my snails kept dying!!

i went to my lfs to have my water tested and my salinity was only 1.013..so there was hardly any salt in my water..my salinity monitor kept saying it was 1.026..so i got a swing arm one and it confirmed my low salinity..so now im in the process of increasing it

thank god my clowns are hardy! :huh:

What sort of "salinity monitor" were you using?

In my experience, hydrometers are far less reliable than refractometers. I kept my tank at 0.025 for a year with my hydrometer, and eventually noticed a weird mass death of my stomatella snails. A few weeks later, when I purchased a hydrometer, I discovered my salinity had actually creeped up to 0.033. Coulda hatched brine shrimp in there!

What sort of "salinity monitor" were you using?

In my experience, hydrometers are far less reliable than refractometers. I kept my tank at 0.025 for a year with my hydrometer, and eventually noticed a weird mass death of my stomatella snails. A few weeks later, when I purchased a hydrometer, I discovered my salinity had actually creeped up to 0.033. Coulda hatched brine shrimp in there!

it was a pinpoint..but thats a huge difference..1.026 and 1.013 and that would explain my snail, coral and blenny and goby deaths

that looks like chaeto =p free chaeto? lucky u

well snails from my experience... you lose some you gain some later.

started with about 12 snails (3 different kinds) 3 died the next day. in 3 months there was over 100 baby snails and most of them growing huge.

if your losing over 50% of your snails then somethings wrong.

Archived