SaltCritters.com

help! can't keep astrea snails alive

Jason7504

yeah but there might be a salinity difference between the lfs water and mine so i should acclimate for atleast 2 hours

Well you dont know that until you test it

and

There are only two specialized instances where acclimation times this lengthy are justified: when moving a fish from lower specific gravity to a tank that is much higher and in cases where the shipment time was in excess of 36 hours.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
supreme_spork
There are only two specialized instances where acclimation times this lengthy are justified: when moving a fish from lower specific gravity to a tank that is much higher and in cases where the shipment time was in excess of 36 hours.

1. There is a difference in tolerances between fish and inverts -- i would never recommend such a lengthy acclimation for fish as it tends to cause them additional stress.

2. Part of what we're doing here is ruling out osmotic shock as a factor

3. Constant temperature is a must during this exercise

well after acclamating my turbo snail for like 3 hours i put it in my tank just now and it shriveled up so i hope that it will recover and live..because thats what it did before :(

1. There is a difference in tolerances between fish and inverts -- i would never recommend such a lengthy acclimation for fish as it tends to cause them additional stress.

2. Part of what we're doing here is ruling out osmotic shock as a factor

3. Constant temperature is a must during this exercise

I see

all relevant points

take some of your water to the lfs where you bought the snail ask them to test your water. those are my .02

what is your sg and do you use any non pvc/plastic tubing, what kind of sand are you using, where did you get your rocks, is the tank new? if it's used what was it used for? do you use carbon in your filter? do you use ro/di water?

its hard to say what's wrong with the water without knowing the full setup. a cycle is one thing but too many other factors can be the cause of your problem

supreme_spork
Your water quality problem... not acclimation

Something wacky is happening, that's for sure.

If he went through a few hours of acclimation and ensured that the water temperature was identical to the tank during that time, at the end of the process the snails would have been in 100% tank water. If they shrivel up immediately after being transferred into the tank itself, it seems like something else is going on there.

take some of your water to the lfs where you bought the snail ask them to test your water. those are my .02

what is your sg and do you use any non pvc/plastic tubing, what kind of sand are you using, where did you get your rocks, is the tank new? if it's used what was it used for? do you use carbon in your filter? do you use ro/di water?

its hard to say what's wrong with the water without knowing the full setup. a cycle is one thing but too many other factors can be the cause of your problem

my sg is 1.026 and i dont use any plastic tubing. its carib sea ocean direct sand and i got my rocks from premium aquatics. the tank was new and i dont use carbon and i use ro/di water

only read original post so if this is repetitive please forgive

what is your salinity and how are you checking it?

its 1.026 and im checking it with a pinpoint salinity monitor

I would try some carbon to absorb anything that could be screwing with the water. And make sure you have surface agitation to maintain good O2 diffusion into the tank.

I had this problem with snails and hermits for the first 6 months of starting my tank. All I could keep alive was one large zebra turbo. I would put them in the tank and the next day they would all be dead except the big turbo who is still living today.

All I could come up with was temperature was off a few degrees on the cold side.

Now I just acclimate for ten minutes and they are fine.

I would try some carbon to absorb anything that could be screwing with the water. And make sure you have surface agitation to maintain good O2 diffusion into the tank.

ok im getting some chemi pure elite to help eliminate the phosphates and remove anything that might be messing up the water...yeah i have good surface agitation. i have a K1 and tunze 6045

I had this problem with snails and hermits for the first 6 months of starting my tank. All I could keep alive was one large zebra turbo. I would put them in the tank and the next day they would all be dead except the big turbo who is still living today.

All I could come up with was temperature was off a few degrees on the cold side.

Now I just acclimate for ten minutes and they are fine.

well i have 2 clowns and they are still alive..the only snails that have lived are my ceriths and nass snails..any turbo or astrea that touches the water is dead the next day..well my water temp is around 80

Well, we can rule out a lack of food, since it usually takes a week and a half before a snail starves to death due to a lack of algae/detritus. We can rule out the acclimation process, since we already established that it can't be that. However, I have a theory, it probably has no weight to it, but you can try it out.

Your salinity is 1.026. Imo, thats a bit high (although others wont think that). I personally keep my tank between 1.023 and 1.024. Now, all LFS's are a business first. So, they are going to cut costs where they can get away with it. One of the costs would be salt. Imagine having to put salt in a hundred tanks, and each tank is a 10 gallon tank. Thats the equivelant of a 1000 gallon tank water change. So, in order to cut costs, they are going to keep their salinity very low, in fact dangerously low. I understand that the acclimation process should be getting rid of that problem, but I think that if you added a little less salt the next time you do a water change to get your salinity to 1.024ish, it deffinitely couldnt hurt, it could only help :)

Good luck, and keep us posted on the fate of the current turbo you have, and any other astreas you add :)

Well, we can rule out a lack of food, since it usually takes a week and a half before a snail starves to death due to a lack of algae/detritus. We can rule out the acclimation process, since we already established that it can't be that. However, I have a theory, it probably has no weight to it, but you can try it out.

Your salinity is 1.026. Imo, thats a bit high (although others wont think that). I personally keep my tank between 1.023 and 1.024. Now, all LFS's are a business first. So, they are going to cut costs where they can get away with it. One of the costs would be salt. Imagine having to put salt in a hundred tanks, and each tank is a 10 gallon tank. Thats the equivelant of a 1000 gallon tank water change. So, in order to cut costs, they are going to keep their salinity very low, in fact dangerously low. I understand that the acclimation process should be getting rid of that problem, but I think that if you added a little less salt the next time you do a water change to get your salinity to 1.024ish, it deffinitely couldnt hurt, it could only help :)

Good luck, and keep us posted on the fate of the current turbo you have, and any other astreas you add :)

i heard that reef tanks should be kept a little higher, like between 1.024-1.026 so thats why i keep it higher..well my turbo died the next day after i put it in

my 2 false perc clowns are doing good..but i need some astreas and a turbo to take care of the gha problem. since there all dying, its growing alot :/

personally, my 1 dwarf cerith does more cleaning in my 3 gallon pico then my astreas (of course, i dont have any turbos, as they would be dead within a week from lack of food).

So, you can possibly use a few cerith snails, or several dwarf cerith snails. lets just say that dwarf cerith snails have a good track record when it comes to reproducing in the tank, and a good amount of the baby snails are viable. So, those could both work for you, or you could still try with the astreas. Margarita snails are awesome cleaners as well. ;)

Finally, if the algae is accumulating on the sand, then it would be best to get nassarius snails.

Hope I could have helped...

~Shack

personally, my 1 dwarf cerith does more cleaning in my 3 gallon pico then my astreas (of course, i dont have any turbos, as they would be dead within a week from lack of food).

So, you can possibly use a few cerith snails, or several dwarf cerith snails. lets just say that dwarf cerith snails have a good track record when it comes to reproducing in the tank, and a good amount of the baby snails are viable. So, those could both work for you, or you could still try with the astreas. Margarita snails are awesome cleaners as well. ;)

Finally, if the algae is accumulating on the sand, then it would be best to get nassarius snails.

Hope I could have helped...

~Shack

i already have 5 ceriths and 2 nass snails..i heard that margarita snails are for more temperate tanks..

yeah i dont know what is going on but i need to get either some astreas or a turbo in there soon. my nitrites are going down, almost at 0. dont know if thats from the big growth of gha or from my skimmer and fuge

ok well my nitrates are at 0 and my phosphates are at 0.005-0.1 and i have 0 copper..so i have no idea why my turbo and astrea snails keep dying

Mr. Thingdoer

I've got a variety of snails in my tank as well. I added 2 astrea snails a few weeks ago and they disappeared after a day. I was about to start tearing apart the tank to look for them until I saw one of my hermits sporting a new Astrea shell. I'm certain he didn't attack it.

ok well my nitrates are at 0 and my phosphates are at 0.005-0.1 and i have 0 copper..so i have no idea why my turbo and astrea snails keep dying

i dont have any hermits because i dont want the risk of them attacking snails or nipping at corals...and they just dont move once i put them in my tank and the next day there hanging out of there shell dead :huh:

Archived