ReefCleaners.org

Can I keep a clam?

FallenMonkey

Hmm, that is on the low side of lighting. Is it overlapping the tank? However, the main thing you should look for is tank stability (usually comes with how established it is). A pico is a very small tank, and only experienced reefers should attempt to keep a clam in one.

Possibly, with extreme caution.

Are your tank parameters absolutely stable? Do you have an ATO? 5 gallons is very small. Clams will filter-feed, but you do not really need to supplement this. There will be nutrients in the water for them.

If you must do this, I would recommend a crocea, because they stay the smallest.

Hmm, that is on the low side of lighting. Is it overlapping the tank? However, the main thing you should look for is tank stability (usually comes with how established it is). A pico is a very small tank, and only experienced reefers should attempt to keep a clam in one.

Yea, its overlapping the tank about an inch on each side, and yea, the tank is decently stable. Still looking around for an ATO. The tanks real volume is actually around 6-6.5, I know it isnt much of a difference, because of the AC 70. I was thinking Crocea or Maxima, so I guess Crocea is the way to go for such a small tank huh?

How old is the tank? Do you have any SPS?

The bad thing about your fixture it that it only has two bulbs (and only current makes 18" bulbs, so far), and the actinic is not going to give much PAR/growth for the clam.

How old is the tank? Do you have any SPS?

The bad thing about your fixture it that it only has two bulbs (and only current makes 18" bulbs, so far), and the actinic is not going to give much PAR/growth for the clam.

Probably around 6-7 months. No SPS yet, but might get a monti...

Alright, thanks everyone for your input, I'll try out a few sps for a few months and if all goes well, I'll look into Croceas.

Archived