Top Shelf Aquatics

Nanobud's JBJ 28 gallon Nanocube HQI

Nanobuds

i usually do 3 gallon water changes a week, but latley i have been doing 3 gallons twice a week

Most likely when you treat for cyno the excess nutrients and "or the cause" allows for other things to appear and then the cycle starts over again. First lets get that ammonia down. It's just too high. Start with anther water change but test the "new" water before adding it just to make sure. Maybe try to mix your own batch of salt water so you know exactly what is being put into the tank. Also what kind of sand movers/sifters do you have?

A refugium would also help since it will out compete anything in the tank for nutrients. Maybe a mod for one would also help out. But first thing is first do the water change to reduce the ammonia. Zero ammonia is always best. That's one major thing to keep in check. Seems like some kind of organic matter is building up in the tank and releasing it. Your bio-load seems fine so something seems to be creating a pocket of organics and slowly releasing it back into the tank. Could you get more flow on the sand? Not pointing at the sand but flowing across it? My guess that it stems from that large center rock. Maybe towards the back rock things are getting trapped. So no matter how much you reduce your feeding and suck up all the unwanted food, things always seem to get stuck.

i am saving up for a fuge, i might just get some chaeto and put in a container for now, yes, it does stem from that center rock. i am also saving for a korolia nano, but i am just a kid and it is hard to get money for me, ciz i cant get a job. i did guess the dieing cyano caused it. my sand sifters are only 1 huge nass snail, (shell aobut and inch and a half long) other ones died a while ago. i do think things are getting trapped in the back.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotcha its cool. I understand the money thing. Honestly some chateo in the corner may not be the best to look at but, I did that for a while and it does help. Maybe take out a couple more gallons of water during your water change to help deal with the ammonia.

thx for the advice.

Today i got chemie pure and a nitrate test kit. nitrate tested at about 25. i also got 2 turbos and 2 nass snails to help with a CUC. i will do a water change tonight.

cool, a bigger water change will help alot. Nitrate is a bit high as well. wait a couple of days and repeat the water change, it should help out alot to reduce the nitrate and ammonia. Also if you just place the cheato in the corner of the tank will really help out with the nitrates. Any macro alage is good. =) Good luck! Also when you can try to get some scarlet reef hermit crabs, they are great part of a CUC.

Maybe this has already been addressed but, aren't diatoms caused by silica? Is there any silica in the water you do water changes with? I think most salts have some silica in them, so doing water changes that often shouldn't help! Maybe I'm wrong.

But I hope you get this figured out soon your tank is very nice can't wait to see back in all its glory!!

Maybe this has already been addressed but, aren't diatoms caused by silica? Is there any silica in the water you do water changes with? I think most salts have some silica in them, so doing water changes that often shouldn't help! Maybe I'm wrong.

But I hope you get this figured out soon your tank is very nice can't wait to see back in all its glory!!

thx for the last line!!! it made me feel warm and fuzzy in side and that there is hope for my tank! :happy:

i heard diatoms are caused by nitrates and just poor water conditions. pablo uses the same water as me for water changes, and his tank is sweet.

. pablo uses the same water as me for water changes, and his tank is sweet.

That made me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Try to cut back on feeding and see if that does anything.

New test results!!! (after water change)

KH: 5 (raising slowly)

pH: 8.3

Nitrate: 15

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Salinity: 1.025

take the sponge out when you get the floss. i change my floss once a week as well and my water is crystal clear and my parameters on perfect

im working on it now. :)

ill finish it tomorow

k thx

NEW TEST RESULTS!!

Nitrate: 1-5 :happy:

Ammonia: 0 :D

Nitrite: <0.3 :D

KH: 8 :happy:

pH: 8.3 :D

Salinity: 1.025 :D

Tank is looking better B)

Archived