SaltCritters.com

maxima color up

t4zalews

I just recieved a maxima today, acclimated him, and got a him in a good spot with high light. Still a little drab in color, I suspect because it just spent a day in a bag and is still acclimating to the new tank. Any idea's about how long it takes for these guys to fully color up? I'm buying DT's today to feed him, he's only 2 in.

don't feed him yet. Let it get used to the new tank and recover from the stress it just went through.

So I take it he is drab in color just because he is stressed from the move. 1 more question, I put him halfway in the tank about 13 in under a 150W 14K halide. Liveaquaria, the site I bought him from, uses 400W 20K halides, I put him half way up thinking that would be sufficient because they use 400W, should I start him in the sand and move him up or just leave him where he is. He has opened and is responding to shadows.

Here's a picture of it open, I really hope the colors don't stay like this..that would be a big disappointment. I put it on the sandbed until I get an answer about where to leave him exactly, he was up high on the rocks.

IMG_1012.jpg

Well, I put it back up on top to get as much light as possible. I'll start feeding him some DT to see if maybe he's hungry. This color is unacceptable. This clam is about 10" right under a 150W halide. I know they have high light needs, but you could grow anything 10" below a 150W halide.

IMG_0272.jpg

I'll start feeding him some DT to see if maybe he's hungry. This color is unacceptable. This clam is about 10" right under a 150W halide. I know they have high light needs, but you could grow anything 10" below a 150W halide.

I see you arn't listening. It is stressed from the move. Just let it be and it will color up. Everything looks different after a move and also under differnet lighting. Chill out

I see you arn't listening. It is stressed from the move. Just let it be and it will color up. Everything looks different after a move and also under differnet lighting. Chill out

+1

My god you really don't listen.

THAT CLAM LOOKS FANTASTIC. I doubt its color will change- I love my gold maxima.

It isn't going to turn purple, if that is what you're thinking.

My god you really don't listen.

THAT CLAM LOOKS FANTASTIC. I doubt its color will change- I love my gold maxima.

It isn't going to turn purple, if that is what you're thinking.

You're missing the point....he ordered a WYSIWYG from liveaquaria, which was pictured as all blue and purple. (he has the pic up on his tank thread)...and instead got what appears to be a gold.

The color isn't as much of the issue as is the fact that he obviously didn't get what was pictured.

EDIT:

Here's the pic from his tank thread of the Maxima he purchased from LA:

maxima.jpg

I don't know about you, but I don't think he got exactly what he paid for.

Yeah to me it's a beautiful clam but it certainly isn't going to turn blue. I'd contact liveaquaria about that. Maybe you'll end up with 2 clams!

I agree he got a beautiful clam, just not the one he paid for. ;)

You're missing the point....he ordered a WYSIWYG from liveaquaria, which was pictured as all blue and purple. (he has the pic up on his tank thread)...and instead got what appears to be a gold.

The color isn't as much of the issue as is the fact that he obviously didn't get what was pictured.

EDIT:

Here's the pic from his tank thread of the Maxima he purchased from LA:

maxima.jpg

I don't know about you, but I don't think he got exactly what he paid for.

So he didn't post that pic in this thread OR explain to us that the clam he ordered wasn't a gold maxima? I'm not a mind reader.

What a moran.

So he didn't post that pic in this thread OR explain to us that the clam he ordered wasn't a gold maxima? I'm not a mind reader.

What a moran.

Lol....I knew from his other thread....and at first I think he thought the color was faded from shipping, hence why he asked here if the color would come back.

jeeeez..you guys need to chill, I know the clam is healthy, that's not my point. No, I wasn't expecting neon lights, I'm not an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I was only suggesting that from the picture, that is a drastic color change. If I wanted a gold maxima I would have ordered one. I understand that I was hasty to assume this is his final color. After talking with liveaquaria I am letting it sit for a little bit and seeing what happens.

The purpose of this thread was not to complain, but more to see, from other people's experiences, if they had the same thing happen when they ordered a clam.

First time experiences are a learning curve. This was my first time with a maxima, one logically could understand the frustration I had upon the clams arrival. I've had SPS corals, although different, have swings in coloration over time. I assume now, the clam will have the same experience.

To ASSUME, I'm not listening is an error. I constantly read and research about this stuff as much as I can, which every hobbyist should. People that know me know that I am very educated on many things in the reef aquaria. when I have a question, I ask.

I appreciate people answering to my question, only time will tell what the clam will do.

Liveaquaria uses 20K's. You have 14k's.

The purple on the clam is from the 20k's. You should have known this. Color changes under different lights. Do not complain to Liveaquaria, they did nothing wrong. Do not complain period, that's a great looking clam. This is on you.

Also, turn off all of your pumps and look at the clam from the top down. I bet the color you're looking for will be there.

Liveaquaria uses 20K's. You have 14k's.

The purple on the clam is from the 20k's. You should have known this. Color changes under different lights. Do not complain to Liveaquaria, they did nothing wrong. Do not complain period, that's a great looking clam. This is on you.

Also, turn off all of your pumps and look at the clam from the top down. I bet the color you're looking for will be there.

+1

my maxima looks like a plain old blue and teal one from the front, but looking at it from the top with the pumps off it is flourescent green and really has awesome coloration. And yes, it will look different under different lighting. My LFS has their clam flat under a 400W 20K bulb and I have a 150W 14K over my tank and there is a big difference.

+1

my maxima looks like a plain old blue and teal one from the front, but looking at it from the top with the pumps off it is flourescent green and really has awesome coloration. And yes, it will look different under different lighting. My LFS has their clam flat under a 400W 20K bulb and I have a 150W 14K over my tank and there is a big difference.

This is how you usually see clams that are listed for sale on various web-sites! ;)

The same can be said for how corals will actually look in different tanks!

To all the nay sayers in this thread:

Obviously I'm not dumb and obviously you were wrong because I picked up a blue maxima, and..what do you know, blue right off the bat. Placed in the same position the other clam was. So I think it's clear to say I had a legit question to the coloring up of the first clam. little picture-->

IMG_0281.jpg

Obviously I'm not dumb and obviously you were wrong because I picked up a blue maxima, and..what do you know, blue right off the bat. Placed in the same position the other clam was. So I think it's clear to say I had a legit question to the coloring up of the first clam. little picture-->

IMG_0281.jpg

So you proved everyone right?

You're still wrong.

Different clam. Much more blue. We're not saying there won't be any blue in the tank, we're saying your wrong in blaming liveaquaria, when this is your own fault.

Their lights are set up to show more blue than yours. This is your fault for expecting the colors to be the same in completely different tanks with completely different lights.

Archived