Top Shelf Aquatics

jz's 40 Gallon Almost Cube

lajz9

Could not be happier with the ORA Purple Plasma I picked up from Vivid. I can see it from across the room its so bright under the actinics, cant wait til it grows out some. I was looking at ORA's site yesterday too, man they have some nice corals. Anyone else have any? Anyone with grown out Purple Plasma or Pearlberry?

FTS from yesterday:

web.jpg?ver=12450415830001

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No real updates, just getting ready for the big move on Friday. The tank is going in the second bedroom which is going to end up being the play room (nice TV, xbox 360, etc.) so I've got more space to play with.

Thinking a sweet display fuge...hm....

Well, the move is finally over! Still have some rearranging to do but I think I dig the new scape.

What do you think? I can't wait for the coralline to cover the rocks...too white for my liking...

FTS:

web.jpg?ver=12463326510001

Left Side:

web.jpg?ver=12463326550001

Missing the top:

web.jpg?ver=12463326590001

You have a nice set up there....

Got an MP20 comin myself...can't wait.

best-o-luck

Thanks, still moving things around quite a bit and haven't glued anything down yet. After staring at it for a few more days and adjusting i'll make things a little more permanent.

You're gonna love the MP20, pretty amazing powerhead.

Your tank is going to look so sweet in a year when all of your corals have grown out and got all BIG. The reason I know this is because your tank is already way sweet. :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Considering adding an MP10 on top of the MP20 I'm running at 100%. Anyone think this would be too much flow or should I stick with the K nanos?

Lost one of my clowns today. :angry:

In a frenzy I tested everything possible and all my parameters look spot on. My pH is a little low at 7.8 currently but that's never given me a reason to worry. The other clowns belly doesn't look inverted and I feed them plenty.

Can I add another clown back in with my current clown?

I love your rock mountain! I'd wait a bit before adding another clown to make sure something isn't going around. Also work on the PH, 7.8 is borderline unacceptable. I think there is a kit you can buy to turn your mp20 into an mp40? would probably cost the same as buying a mp10 but you wouldn't have to deal with more pumps.

Also i would think your current flow SHOULD be plenty enough for a 40 gallon. How many gallons per hour are you getting with all your pumps combined? It sounds like you have plenty of turnover right now.

I love your rock mountain! I'd wait a bit before adding another clown to make sure something isn't going around. Also work on the PH, 7.8 is borderline unacceptable. I think there is a kit you can buy to turn your mp20 into an mp40? would probably cost the same as buying a mp10 but you wouldn't have to deal with more pumps.

Also i would think your current flow SHOULD be plenty enough for a 40 gallon. How many gallons per hour are you getting with all your pumps combined? It sounds like you have plenty of turnover right now.

Sorry, I should have been more clear about my pH, it drops to about 7.8 or so at night and raises back up to about 8.05 during the day.

I've currently got about 2800gph flowing through the tank with the return (300gph), MP20 (2000gph) and two Koralia Nanos (480gph total). The nanos aren't really necessary i just added them to provide some extra flow on the sides since the rock is piled up the way it is.

Overall I'm not too happy with the tank itself. I'd like to eventually get a cube w/ starphire glass on 3 sides, and acrylic on the back with an external overflow since the internal overflow in the center takes up so much damn room.

Archived