Innovative Marine Aquariums

jds's BC 29 - my first nano reef/salt tank

jds

A few new pics.

M-IMG_2892.JPG

broke one of my own rules on this one

M-IMG_2901.JPG

a new small frag. my red cap is doing well so I thought I would try this for $5. (pic after 1hr in tank)

M-IMG_2890.JPG

LOOKS GOOD! Lot of cool stuff you got going in this setup. looks awesome

Thanks for the compliments and right back at you!!

-jds

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow love the RBTA i cant seem to find a good size around here. looking to get a somewhat small one and everywhere i look minimum is at least $90 when i used to see them for $60

I got mine against my better judgement. A friend was breaking down her 200+ tank where she had 4-5 RBTAs and 7-8 GBTAs. Odd thing is that he moved the next day after this pic and is sitting under a paly rock in a cave and he extents his tenticles up around the sides of the rock. He is eating and seems happy where he is, but kinda sucks as I cant see him.

What no comment on the clown goby? :P He was from her tank as well, fat little bastard but has been tough to feed in his new home. :angry:

-jds

yah have always loved the YCG been one of my fav fish besides bluespot and fourline wrasse... what do you feed your RBTA btw i feed my YCG cyclops and turn return pumps off and he goes around crazy eating them all up!!

i started the RBTA on mysis. I do cyclop for my zoas, frogspawn, and my galaxy. I need to try cyclop/mysis with pumps off for the YCG.

-jds

Carlton'sTank

I like the setup for sure! I think you should definitely dedicate a zoanthid rock and start throwing some of your frags on it.

Tank looks great! Love the YCG... Did not see anyone try to ID the crab - probably already figured it out, but sounds (and kinda looks like) an emerald crab. If so - should be OK in the tank. have one in mine that seems to mind his business and take care of cleaning up.

Thanks for all the comments.

So I am looking for some Zoas, see my other thread, so I thought I woudl take some pics of what I have already... Most from fellow NR's

M-IMG_2917.JPG

M-IMG_2919.JPG

M-IMG_2922.JPG

M-IMG_2923.JPG

M-IMG_2924.JPG

M-IMG_2925.JPG

M-IMG_2926.JPG

M-IMG_2927.JPG

M-IMG_2928.JPG

M-IMG_2930.JPG

M-IMG_2935.JPG

M-IMG_2937.JPG

M-IMG_2938.JPG

A few more updated pics since I tend to do them in batches as I'm lazy to update the thread...

RBTA finally is staying put, moved a few things around and moved a Paly rock completely out to my 14gal to give him space. Now if the clowns will just go to him!

FTS:

M-IMG_2947.JPG

M-IMG_2955.JPG

M-IMG_2959.JPG

New Brain:

M-IMG_2951.JPG

RBTA:

M-IMG_2966.JPG

Toad:

M-IMG_2967.JPG

Left side:

M-IMG_2964.JPG

Right side:

M-IMG_2971.JPG

THEEGRIMREEFER

SWEEETTT tank! whats your honest opinion on that lighting upgrade? im thinking of either doing a nanotuners 4.36 or just going topless with a NEP 20" but i also want to keep that stock look.

SWEEETTT tank! whats your honest opinion on that lighting upgrade? im thinking of either doing a nanotuners 4.36 or just going topless with a NEP 20" but i also want to keep that stock look.

Well it definately doesnt reduce the tank temp, I have bought a chiller to battle this and will probably run it for Summer/Fall and then turn it off. The overall brightness and power is nice, I do appreciate my corals getting 2x the light. I think overall I'm happy as I wanted more light and loved the closed top look.

Here are some new pics of the RBTA. He had a frag rock fall near him and he then migrated to the other side of the tank. A few coral moves later he is not within striking distance of anything I like. (I say this but he is a tad to close to my 8 heads of Frogspawn, Which I will have to probably move.

M-IMG_2975.JPG

M-IMG_2979.JPG

M-IMG_2982.JPG

M-IMG_2985.JPG

Tank looks fat and happy! You have SO MANY FRAGS! So many different types of zoos and its awesome. You ordering or trading or picking up all those frags at LFS? Its awesome love the tank. Inspiring me to upgrade to the 144 watt in hood upgrade! What was your temp change with the upgrade? Noticeable difference? 5 or so degrees?

Nice tank. I like your BTA. I wanted a pink one but couldn't find one so settled for a white one.

Bruce

Tank looks fat and happy! You have SO MANY FRAGS! So many different types of zoos and its awesome. You ordering or trading or picking up all those frags at LFS? Its awesome love the tank. Inspiring me to upgrade to the 144 watt in hood upgrade! What was your temp change with the upgrade? Noticeable difference? 5 or so degrees?

Thanks! I'm having fun, my BC14 is coming along as well, I need to update that thread. Most of my frags are from some local places and people here on the forum. As for temp changes, I think its about 3-4 or so.

Nice tank. I like your BTA. I wanted a pink one but couldn't find one so settled for a white one.

Bruce

I will have to check out the white one!

Here are a few new items in the tank...

Pagoda Cup frag, I think I got the best part of the cup.

M-IMG_3015.JPG

Blue Japanese Zoa frag

M-IMG_3021.JPG

Small Goniopora coral frag, opening slowly

M-IMG_3022.JPG

Just curious how everything gets along here. Seems like you have things awfully close to one another. I'm paranoid about having things sting each other so I have the tank pretty sparse at the moment (then again, I am just starting out).

Seeing the frogspawn literally on top of the Zoas is something I wouldn't consider just based on reading about everything. So what gives?

Thanks... & Awesome looking tank BTW!

Just curious how everything gets along here. Seems like you have things awfully close to one another. I'm paranoid about having things sting each other so I have the tank pretty sparse at the moment (then again, I am just starting out).

Seeing the frogspawn literally on top of the Zoas is something I wouldn't consider just based on reading about everything. So what gives?

Thanks... & Awesome looking tank BTW!

Good question. I have the spacing around most of my stingers at 3-4". The frogspawn sit mid water column, a bit higher on the rock than the zoas and I have only see the stingers come out of the top. My Hammer, Torch are higher in the water column and again only have stingers that I have seen come out of the top. The galaxy is on small rock plate on the floor and has the longest stingers, I've seen them at 6", but again mostly all vertical and about 100 radius off the top. The only things close to that are all the way on the floor, 4-5" away, and they are some of my smaller zoo frags. The worst offender is the RBTA as the clowns recently found him and he just continues to expand. In his original position he stung the Frogspawn, but I relocated them a bit and the RBTA now cant get to it. He has stung a few other zoa frags and unfortunatley has sidetracked my plans of making that shelf below him a zoa garden. So nothing lost, just a few small stings but everything has bounced back after relocation.

Its a fine balancing act at times and once I find my upgrade tank, I will be happy.

-jds

• 2 weeks later...

Updates for anyone who is following (I still think that if I dont piss off the tang police, ask a total NOOB ?, or talk about stupid crap in the open forum my threads will die without views or comments.) :lol:

So the RBTA has split, it went into hiding the other night, ####### off the clowns and then the next AM I woke to 2. Yippie!!!!

M-IMG_3042.JPG

I also added a new Sun Coral...so many heads for sooooo little. Thanks to waxy on RC for the local score.

M-IMG_3040.JPG

M-IMG_3039.JPG

New FTS with it all in there....running out of room, so glad the new tank is coming soon!

M-IMG_3045.JPG

OK I call dibbs on the baby RBTA :) I have a couple acans you can pickup in trade :)

The SUN coral's are a BIATCH to deal with. I gave mine away I like to just toss and go when it comes to feeding Dont have the patients to hand feed all the time

Updates for anyone who is following (I still think that if I dont piss off the tang police, ask a total NOOB ?, or talk about stupid crap in the open forum my threads will die without views or comments.) :lol:

So the RBTA has split, it went into hiding the other night, ####### off the clowns and then the next AM I woke to 2. Yippie!!!!

M-IMG_3042.JPG

I also added a new Sun Coral...so many heads for sooooo little. Thanks to waxy on RC for the local score.

M-IMG_3040.JPG

M-IMG_3039.JPG

New FTS with it all in there....running out of room, so glad the new tank is coming soon!

M-IMG_3045.JPG

OK I call dibbs on the baby RBTA :) I have a couple acans you can pickup in trade :)

The SUN coral's are a BIATCH to deal with. I gave mine away I like to just toss and go when it comes to feeding Dont have the patients to hand feed all the time

Ok, well lets see how the baby does, but I regardless I owe you for the galaxy and red CAP. btw, you see how that red cap is doing in the 144w of PC? amazing growth!!

Yeah I tend to like to feed and watch. I feed the RBTA as well, so I think I will be ok. I got a 1 liter bottle to cover the sun, the damn pep shrimps and nass snails tend to try to horde. The biggest issue right now is he opens at 10pm-11pm and I feed at 8-9pm. Need to retrain him to be open a bit earlier and a bit longer.

A few new pics.

The 2 RBTAs just keep growing...followed by the new addition. I'm going to JAIL!

M-IMG_3057.JPG

M-IMG_3060.JPG

M-IMG_3061.JPG

M-IMG_3050.JPG

Jail? I expected a pic of a tang when I heard that. The tank is looking real nice. I love the red-edged brain on the sand. I'd like one for my tank at some point, if stock lighting can support it.

Archived