Cultivated Reef

jds's BC 29 - my first nano reef/salt tank

jds

hello all, yes its another "my first tank" thread. so please bare with me. :lol:

Just joined a few weeks ago and thought I would share day 1 of my tank experience. Salt is great after some tweaking and thanks to my new refractometer (craigslist buy for $15)

Typical setup

BC 29

40lbs live sand

22lbs live rock, mostly uncured

stock pump

removed bio balls

Koralia pump #1

200w heater, sitting at 78

digital therm

Filled last night, today was day 1 and when I tested the water tonight it was odd (i think). Shouldnt I see some levels??

ph: 7.8

ammonia: .25

no2: 0

no3: 0

Right after I filled it.

n13745603_45200365_6421.jpg

Finished 'scaping it this afternoon once the dust settled from last night

Front shot:

n13745603_45212078_7825.jpg

close Front:

n13745603_45212092_7924.jpg

right side:

n13745603_45212147_8426.jpg

left side:

n13745603_45212144_3888.jpg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a good start. Your levels are perfectly acceptable at this point. Don't worry about your ph, it will come up with water changes. As for the ammonia, looks like your cycle has already started, which is great. You have quite the large heater in that tank, so just keep an eye on it. A few more pounds of live rock wouldn't hurt either. What are your plans for the tank? What is your specific gravity?

JDS,

Looks like you have a good start.

IMO...you should try to bring your pH up a bit. You can use a buffer if you choose to do that. Where did your water come from that you filled the tank with?

I agree with subielover that you could use more LR. I have approx 30lbs of LR in my BC29.

It's good that you have a some Ammonia as that is an indicator your cycle is beginning. Please us posted as you progress.

mkregs, what woud your recommend for the ph rise?

I think the pic angle makes it look like less rock but thats 25.5lbs of rock. Maybe I can use another piece but I really wanted to make enough good spots for corals especially near the lamps. I already feel like I don't have any sand left for coral spots as the footprint of the LR is a decent size. Maybe something in the middle?? I'm really into the look of corals. The water from the tank came from a RO source and hand mixed. I got a little salty and had to dilute last minute.

As for plans, I was going to play it by ear. I wanted a matched pair of true clowns but its so far off at this point I'm cool with watching the rock. :)

-jds

Seachem Marine Buffer or Reef Buffer ?? Baking soda?

I used Seachem Marine Buffer.

I'm glad that you're happy to watch rocks for a little while :) . Maybe another 5 or so lbs of cured LR might be a good idea...just a suggestion. I agree with wanting space for corals, but you can stack your LR in a way where you would have some nice flat spots for coral frags.

Are you going to stick with the stock BC29 lighting? What kinds of corals are you planning on adding when the tank is ready?

So I had been traveling this past week but had my wife check up and send me updates on the reef's 1st week...

Heres are some pics. Seems I got some green alge growing in places and a few surprises made it in week 1.

Full shot:

n13745603_45273469_5705.jpg

Seems that the live rock had something on them that made it thru the week and they open up under light...Any idea what these are?

n13745603_45273459_1014.jpg

Closer look:

n13745603_45273479_5748.jpg

Ok since I just got home going to test the water and see what my levels are....ph was down but I refocused the pump towards the top of the water to aggetate it and hopefully drop the CO2 levels....

-jds

So I finally got another test in today and the measures were great.

ph: 8.2

ammonia: 0

no2: 0

no3: 0

Temp:77.9

salinity: 1.026

Have had quite a bit of evaporation so added some RO fresh water. I talked to the LFS and even with my salinity right where I kinda wanted it he said not to be to alarmed.

So with this test and an algae bloom, green not so brown algae bloom, I picked up my first CUC members.

4 snails

4 hermit crabs

Here are some pics

FTS:

n13745603_45366449_1620.jpg

Hermit:

n13745603_45365980_4002.jpg

Snail:

n13745603_45365978_8082.jpg

And course the thanks to pass on!....

-jds

those look to be button polyps, they're a great hithiker coral to have, and very hardy. oh, and greta looking rocks!

Thanks for the id and comments

nice! a hitchhiking coral! oh and welcome to reefing!!

Thanks

Your rocks remind me of dinosaurs

Oh yeah? Hmm, maybe you can draw them as I was thinking they looked like Some place in Utah.

Ok so the water readings are the same, pH still around 8.2 and the rest 0's. However how active should my CUC be? Right now I have lost one snail, which a hermit ate. Then 2 other are on the glass and one on a rock but the 2 on the glass arent using their mouths. Also the hermits are being really shy and sitting barely out of the shell opening and only moving a bit. Not to mention I cant find 2 of them....

Am I doing something wrong? My glass is full of green algae and I thought these guys would make quick work of it.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks

-jds

So 2 dead snails and I could only find 2 shells from the 4 hermits later....I have tested and retested the water and all seems ok. pH has some variance but we shall see as the kH seems to be just fine. If I keep getting swings I will use the superbuffer.

I picked up 2 new pyramid snails and 2 new blue leg hermits to see if it was just some weak CUC members..but I still cant find the shells of the 2 other hermits?!!? I did find what seems to be a rather large rock crab in one of my rocks. I looked over all these rocks when I bought them and didnt see this guy. He is quite large and his arm/claw extends out some 1". Should I be executing this guy before I put in fish or coral?

And last, today is my first water change. The water is mixing and coming up to temp now, and I'm stoked to be changing out. Going to scrape some more algae off and then change away.

ftsphoto.jpg

-jds

I see your algea bloom is in effect! Nice scape'. It looks good. I like how u have them set up. I just kinda skimmed through ur pics and all. Since it is a bit late and all ha ha but what are ur plans for this tank? Fish? corals?

I see your algea bloom is in effect! Nice scape'. It looks good. I like how u have them set up. I just kinda skimmed through ur pics and all. Since it is a bit late and all ha ha but what are ur plans for this tank? Fish? corals?

I'm really want corals. I personally haven't decided what types but will start offf slow until I upgrade my lights. Most of my rockscape was done with the intention of places to place frags, etc and possibly some fish like the yellow watchman goby or lawnmower blenny which seem to like rock and holes.

Before you do anything with that crab, you might want to ID it. Do you have a pic you can post?

Also, a good start for coral frags would be a mushroom, paly, or zoa frag. They will tell you within a few days if they're happy. Also, there are a lot of corals that will do well under stock BC29 lighting. I have seen growth in my corals over a short time period under stock lighting.

Before you do anything with that crab, you might want to ID it. Do you have a pic you can post?

So I dont have a good pic and I cant tell what it is, but its has to be whats eating my hermits. I mean why else would I have empty shells and no hermits running around? He has some hairy legs but has a longer torso then I woudl expect from a crap. Long narrow not long wide.

Here is the best I could get...

M-crab2-edit.jpg

Also, a good start for coral frags would be a mushroom, paly, or zoa frag. They will tell you within a few days if they're happy. Also, there are a lot of corals that will do well under stock BC29 lighting. I have seen growth in my corals over a short time period under stock lighting.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been wanting to add a new piece of rock since you guys commented on it. So today I bought a nice cured rock from LFS that had been in one of their display tanks. Lets hope it doesnt cause a mini cycle but then again I can wait it out. :D

Also this LFS had a stock BC29 with a nice bubble tip that had just split. Its been in the tank for 2yrs and has split 2 times. I know its against the "bible" of the NR people but if he can do it so can I. I think I might try it out in 6-8months.

Here is a new rockscape shot

fts_new.jpg

Old rockscape shot

ftsphoto2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I havent updated in a few weeks, been busy playing rockscaper, hair algae cleaner, and mostly mantis shrimp/gorilla crab hunter. The mantis and his rock are gone, unfortunately the crab is still around.

So things are great since the cycle passed after the first 8 days. Been dosing with Calcium to prepare for the first corals, that is up around 450 and holding. Added a few items, some Paly covered rocks, a red Cap frag, and a Galaxy frag. All have been in there for a week and doing well. I also added another Koralia #1 and have it cycle on off during the day.

One of my blue knuckles

M-IMG_2728.JPG

Great Nass

M-IMG_2729.JPG

New rockscaping

M-IMG_2737.JPG

Archived