SaltCritters.com

where have all the clams gone?

flipmodetank

Im searching for the 2nd clam for my Finnex M Tank. Seems that alot of the online vendors such as reefscience, pacific east or clamsdriect dont really have alot or have none in stock? is this a seasonal thing or an export thing such as the link below suggests? Even the LFS in dallas are somewhat stocked low on clams. Only asking because 6 months ago when i bought my crocea almost every store online or local had alot of clams of different species and size.

http://www.reefaquariumforum.com/tridacna-crocea-t3996.html

reefman225gal

Well.. Berry said that his vendors are telling him "that it has something to do with CITIES" and trust me Berry Neigut knows his stuff when it comes to Tridacnids.

Convention for International Trade in Endangered Species (CITIES)

i wonder if this is temporary or long term issue and if affects places like ORA. Problem with ORA clams is that they all seem to come in around 2 inch's.

If CITIES is putting restrictions on clam harvesting they have a good reason. I know Tridacna crocea have been on their list as prohibited since 2004 for the Island of Palau. They may have increased the range recently. It wouldn't be the worst thing for the hobby if they restricted access to these species to aquacultured only.

aren't a lot of clams aquacultured anyway? Maybe clams don't ship well in the winter time. I know one I had died a day without power due to the temp.

Archived