inTank Media Baskets

first clam

Nanobuds

yah but i have a minor red slime algae problem right now. will that affect it?

edit: oops, i didnt see stevie's post there

ok i will wait

Yes- algae outbreaks are just a sign that you don't have complete control over your tank's parameters quite yet.

yah but i have a minor red slime algae problem right now. will that affect it?

edit: oops, i didnt see stevie's post there

ok i will wait

aww. dang. i do 20% water changes every week and according to my hydrometer my salinity is 1.023

this very statement suggests that you do not have the knowledge to keep a clam yet

thats not to say you never will

aww. dang. i do 20% water changes every week and according to my hydrometer my salinity is 1.023

Thats a good start, but there is a bit more to it.

I'd raise the sg to ~1.025 if possible.

You'll also want extended steady readings for alk, pH, calcium, and nitrates (should be very low). I'm assuming obviously that your cycle is complete, so no nitrites/ammonia.

yep. no nitrates or ammonia. i dont have my own test kit yet, so i test it at my LFS and they said everything was good, but my salinity was at 1.021. he told me how to raise it and said it should be between 1.023 and 1.025

yep. no nitrates or ammonia. i dont have my own test kit yet, so i test it at my LFS and they said everything was good, but my salinity was at 1.021. he told me how to raise it and said it should be between 1.023 and 1.025

i would keep it at 1.025-1.026

Well since you're new at this, the best advice I can give is learn to manage it yourself. That would include your own test kits.

I really doubt they tested alk, pH, or calcium. They generally are just testing ammonia, nitrite, and perhaps nitrate to tell whether or not it is "safe" to add some livestock. Clams require more specific and stable parameters to keep than fish do, to be sure.

my water is fine and i still have some diatom blooms

This is an indicator that your water is not fine

thanks for the articles. i will get all my parameters checked, write them down, and make sure they are good

...and then in six to nine months I will consider getting a clam.

right?

small diatom blooms dont really have an ill effect on livestock and will usually go away in the first six months

i tested the water this morning

SG - 1.025

ammo - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate - 3.0

phos - 0.5

temp - 77.3

mag - 1285

alk - 9

ph - 8.4

how is my water not fine again??

redox is fine as well...I dont see a problem with some diatoms that are improving as the weeks go by

I think ppl sweat the small stuff too much and that's fine if you have a very small tank....

Archived