Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Quick Clam Question...

davidr2340

I picked up a new clam on Saturday!!! :happydance:

Anyway... On to my question... Once a month, I do three straight days with zero lights on. Do you think that this will cause any harm to my clam, or will I be ok? :huh:

Thanks!!!

I have no idea.

Where did you get the clam? Barrier Reef? A Red Sea Aquarium?

I got him @ Barrier!

will be ok

Thanks!

I think I'll wait a week or two to let him get used to his new home!

I would say you would be fine. Let the clam comfortably acclimate before doing so. You already know the anwser. Just looking for reassurance? ;)

I would say you would be fine. Let the clam comfortably acclimate before doing so. You already know the anwser. Just looking for reassurance? ;)

THIS! :lol:

I dont understand why you would go 3 days without light, in the wild they have cloudy days, but the lights we have in our aquariums arent what the sun gives out in light. Never heard of people doing this, I'll read up on it.

I dont understand why you would go 3 days without light, in the wild they have cloudy days, but the lights we have in our aquariums arent what the sun gives out in light. Never heard of people doing this, I'll read up on it.

It's not a total blackout! There is still quite a bit of ambient light in the room...

All I know is, at the end of the three days when the lights come back on, everything looks amazing!

It's not a total blackout! There is still quite a bit of ambient light in the room...

All I know is, at the end of the three days when the lights come back on, everything looks amazing!

Everything looks amazing because they been starved of light for 96 hours LOL!!!

Its like putting a person inside a dark box for 96 hours...and then put him/her in a buffet...then watch them eat LOL

Yeah it should be fine.... as the reasons stated above..!!! Let us know how well it goes ... I think another good reason for the 3 days light out is for algae control as well...

I think the 3 days of lights out were used to starve free floating algae in the water as well as inhibit diatom growth and the such. So the weakest most abundant algae in the tank would be dead after the three days and you would find yourself with a cleaner tank afterwords. I think the guy I read about only did it every 3 months though.

Archived