Cultivated Reef

clam issue....Are peppermint shrimps known to pick at clams?

plainrt

Well yesterday i noticed my clam was not opening like always has for over 6 months now.I have noticed my peppermint shrimp picking at it alot past few days now and think he may have ate a little piece of my croccea that i can see looks damaged.My clam has always had his foot on this rock and now today he is loose.All water parm are good.Are shrimps know to pick at these time to time? Im thinking im gonna remove the shrimp now as the clam means more to me.

I had a squamosa that had the entire portion of the mantle that extends past the point where it's fused, removed. I thought it was a eunice worm until I watched a peppermint hop on top of the clam and go to town. I moved the clam away from the cave the peppermint hid in, and started feeding the tank more. In a few months the mantle grew back completely.

well after few days it started to look better but if i catch that guy doing it again he will be gone.I never had a issue with my clam up till i think this little pep chomped on it :{

I have a new tank, and am just beginning to add coral. Added frogspawn two weeks ago, and a leather a few days ago. My pep has come out and "tasted" each one shortly after it was added. Ticked me off, but he doesn't seem to continue for a long period. Maybe he's getting a sting. I'm not surprised they like clams.

nope mine eats aiptasia like crazy so im sure..........They can be hard to tell apart.my local store tries to sell shrimp as peps that really are camels

Archived