Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

DHaut's DIY Custom Build! NEW STAND PICS!

Deleted User 6

Deleted User 6

Thanks AR - I'm hoping to get the beaded board for the stand this weekend and pick up the 10g sump. What light should I use on the sump? All I care about is growing chaeto down there - but growing it well.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe all you need is 65K to grow chaeto. I'm using a 65 k screw in fluorescent. and it seems to be growing fine , but its only been 2 weeks. Hopefully it continues to grow. B)

Deleted User 6

Yeah - I used 65k last time and it worked fine. I guess I'll stick with it.

And now....the STAND! Ta-da! (ok, it still needs polyurethane, but who cares)

Without stain - you can see the velcro that holds the front on.

post-35397-1234041310_thumb.jpg

Stained

post-35397-1234041318_thumb.jpg

The back

post-35397-1234041323_thumb.jpg

Note the wood floors that look like crap. That's the underwood for the original wood floors - those boards were laid in the 1860's. They need to be sanded and refinished, but that's my landlord's job.

Deleted User 6

The stand with the tank and rock wall in it's correct location:

post-35397-1234047192_thumb.jpg

Next steps:

1. Get levelers for stand and make sure tank water is level.

2. Drill tank for overflow

3. Plumb in 10g sump

4. Build hood for 70w light

5. Add sand and LR and CYCLE!

Finally feeling like I'm getting somewhere!

the stand looks good, lots of space under it. That was my prob. I built my stand too small and now with the sump theres really no room for add-ons

Deleted User 6
the stand looks good, lots of space under it. That was my prob. I built my stand too small and now with the sump theres really no room for add-ons

Yeah, I made sure that a 10g would fit under there with a bit of wiggle room. Once I get the sump in, I'll build a shelf above it to mount the light to and to put all my additives/chemicals/tools on.

The 3 pieces of velcro weren't enough to hold the front on through the night - it fell off, lol. I'll get more velcro today and fix that.

snowlancer2720
Yeah, I made sure that a 10g would fit under there with a bit of wiggle room. Once I get the sump in, I'll build a shelf above it to mount the light to and to put all my additives/chemicals/tools on.

The 3 pieces of velcro weren't enough to hold the front on through the night - it fell off, lol. I'll get more velcro today and fix that.

nice job, i like the rock work a lot, i cant wait to see it finished! As for the door...are hinges a no-go?

Deleted User 6

Hinges won't work - I tried figuring out a way to use them but couldn't figure out an easy way (I'm limited in what I can do because all work has to be done in my small apartment - wood cutting and all).

As for magnets, I'd have to get some strong stuff. I think the velcro will work fine once I get some more on there. Three small squares just isn't enough.

Deleted User 6

Fixed the velcro - I just used a staple gun to hold the pieces on instead of trusting their stickyness.

Finished stand pic with the polyurethane:

post-35397-1234147381_thumb.jpg

Fixed the velcro - I just used a staple gun to hold the pieces on instead of trusting their stickyness.

Finished stand pic with the polyurethane:

post-35397-1234147381_thumb.jpg

Looks great man is that where the tank is gonna stay?

Deleted User 6
Looks great man is that where the tank is gonna stay?

Yep - I made the stand big enough to hold a 20H tank if I ever want to upgrade. We don't have any room to put it anywhere else - our apartment is like 600 sq. ft. That light behind it is coming out once I've got the fuge in there.

Deleted User 6
How did you glued the sand?.What kind of glue did you used?.It is beautiful.

Thanks! I'm pleased at how it turned out.

The stand is held together by screws and finishing nails. I don't trust glue to hold under so much weight. Screws were used on the frame and the nails are holding the beaded board plywood on the sides. The front panel is held on by velcro so that I can remove it to access the sump/fuge.

Deleted User 6

Drilled with bulkhead (whew!)

post-35397-1234229369_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1234229379_thumb.jpg

post-35397-1234229391_thumb.jpg

Also, I discovered today that the rock wall floats. :angry: I'll have to silicone it to the back wall before I fill up the tank.

Archived