Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED MeanWell power supply?

zingtaw

So if i use the 0-10V output from ReefKeeper Elite to control the dimming on ELN-60, using the LM317 simple like this?

LM317m.jpg

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So you mean that the 0-10V output from RKE is PWM.

Evil, sorry for bugging you all the time. I spent a whole week to read this thread and the other ultimate led guide but obviously i still wasn't able to decrypt it <_<

Evil, sorry for bugging you all the time. I spent a whole week to read this thread and the other ultimate led guide but obviously i still wasn't able to decrypt it <_<

Well i got it. It will work with the D model like ELN-60-48-D. But it looks like the model P is the most popular here.

Ocean Flyer
Well i got it. It will work with the D model like ELN-60-48-D. But it looks like the model P is the most popular here.

I have tryied 9v dc adapter to power up ELN-60-27P before and it work too. May be the dim up/down not as smooth as PWM cct.

I have tried 9v dc adapter to power up ELN-60-27P before and it work too. May be the dim up/down not as smooth as PWM cct.

Curious about how to hook up to the reefkeepers as well. I just bought the RKL and will buy the ALC if I can figure out how to hook it up to the 4 meanwells that my build requires.

RKL doesn't currently support the ACL unit. It's supposed to get a firmware update soon to add compatibility.

The ELN-60-48P will require a slightly different setup to work with and 0-10v system. I have been looking into cicuit designs for voltage to frequency converters.

Not a problem that it doesn't support the ALC yet, because I don't have my LEDs or drivers yet. :P

Let me know when you've found out how to do this. The sunrise/sunset effects that are potentially possible would be awesome to have.

Curious about how to hook up to the reefkeepers as well. I just bought the RKL and will buy the ALC if I can figure out how to hook it up to the 4 meanwells that my build requires.

thta's what i'm thinking too. my RKL arrives tomorrow! father's day present to me!

At $99, it's extremely tempting.

I may have found a super simple (even easier than the pwm generator) way to do a voltage to frequency converter. I'll build one up soon and test it.

I just picked up a new RKL from the board for $90, I plan to purchase the ALC once it becomes compatible as well:)

Evil, I ended up buying 3 ELN-60-48D drivers from Powergate, should be here soon. Do you know how the DIM+- would wire up to the ALC?

Why is it that you need a voltage to frequency converter? I've been using a 0-10v signal from a LM317 to control my meanwells (ELN-60-27P) and it has been working out pretty well except for the fact that it doesn't dim down past 333ma/string. I believe that even with a pwm input signal you wouldn't be able to get full dimming because past 333ma you probably go below the forward voltage of the led.

I just picked up a new RKL from the board for $90, I plan to purchase the ALC once it becomes compatible as well:)

Evil, I ended up buying 3 ELN-60-48D drivers from Powergate, should be here soon. Do you know how the DIM+- would wire up to the ALC?

Not sure. Never seen an ALC up close.

Why is it that you need a voltage to frequency converter? I've been using a 0-10v signal from a LM317 to control my meanwells (ELN-60-27P) and it has been working out pretty well except for the fact that it doesn't dim down past 333ma/string. I believe that even with a pwm input signal you wouldn't be able to get full dimming because past 333ma you probably go below the forward voltage of the led.

A pwm signal will work a lot better for you on that driver. A 0-10v input will offer some dimming, but I had noticed that it was not very linear and difficult to control. With the options for either the pwm circuit and the voltage to frequency circuit, anyone will be able to use either driver version with whatever setup they have.

A pwm signal will work a lot better for you on that driver. A 0-10v input will offer some dimming, but I had noticed that it was not very linear and difficult to control. With the options for either the pwm circuit and the voltage to frequency circuit, anyone will be able to use either driver version with whatever setup they have.

Just for clarification: So you still prefer convert 0-10v to pwn using with ELN-60 P model? Or I should i go with D model for less headache and still having same good control?

Both can work, but for simplicities sake, the "D" model will be a little easier. It will also depend on the cost and availability in your area.

where did you order them from?

i must have missed it from somewhere, but what is the difference of the "P" and the "d"? is the p a pwm and the d a analog/digital.....just guessing.

where did you order them from?

i must have missed it from somewhere, but what is the difference of the "P" and the "d"? is the p a pwm and the d a analog/digital.....just guessing.

Yes the D is the analog 0v-10v. I want to try and set them up using the RKL/ALC module. I ordered them from Powergate.

Evil I read this on the DA forums about the ALC module, can you explain it? Will I still need to connect the 10V power supply to the drivers? :huh:

"Just note that the ALC can not source any meaningful current. It's simply a voltage output for inputs like what you're talking about!"

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewt...?f=21&t=674

Yes the D is the analog 0v-10v. I want to try and set them up using the RKL/ALC module. I ordered them from Powergate.

Evil I read this on the DA forums about the ALC module, can you explain it? Will I still need to connect the 10V power supply to the drivers? :huh:

"Just note that the ALC can not source any meaningful current. It's simply a voltage output for inputs like what you're talking about!"

That just means there is very very little current coming from the ALC. You do not want to hook up LEDs directly to the 0-10V output on the ACL. The Meanwells use a 0-10v low amp input just for a signal to tell what percent to increase the output to the LEDs. The soul purpose for the 0-10v output on the ALC is to hook up to a 0-10v dimmer input on a device like the Meanwell.

No need for a 10v power supply if you are connecting it to the ALC.

• 4 weeks later...

Could be interesting. Keep in mind that these will still require a specialized dimmer to get that to work, so thats more added cost.

Could be interesting. Keep in mind that these will still require a specialized dimmer to get that to work, so thats more added cost.

Dimming issue is the same either for ELN-60-48P or above mentioned LED driver..... Lets see what they cost.....

Archived